bug spray this time of year?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Do I need to worry about insect repellant this time of year? We will be there from April 27th - May 3rd. I am allergic to mosquito bites, but is it still a little early for them to be a problem?

Florida weather is warm, like our Houston weather, and I would recommend it. Your best bet is a sunblock with insect repellent. Then you kill two birds with one stone!

I don't know about mosquitoes, but those noseeums about did me in last May!! We went out to MK the first night we arrived w/no bug blocker and the next morning I woke up with HUGE welts all over my legs. I'm talking 3-5" in diameter and pulsating (my left knee cap was completely swollen and going from white to red with my pulse). I never went out without my Avon sun/bug block again. :)

highly recomend it. especially in the evening for the fireworks and parades. its really sticky here in florida during the summer months. we use it especially at epcot and the magic kingdom during illuminations and fantasy in the sky. they are both by lakes so its just an open area for them, very wise if you do. have a great time!!

Hi MagicalTink!! Since you are a native please tell me we are coming to WDW on the 15th for a long weekend. It's been a while since I've visited this time of year what about lovebugs is it going to be a bad time for them??? My 3.5 y/o dd is totally freaked out by bugs should I prepare her for them or will they be gone.
We've got tickets in hand and the room paid for now I'm just waiting for the time to pass.....which is never fast enough until you get there and then its too fast...:Pinkbounc

no need to worry, lovebugs arent that heavy this year but just in case keep an eye out, they are completely harmless but if your little one is scared of them just watch for them in the air, if anything they move more with the wind and it really isnt that windy, so no worries and if you've got 'OFF!' spray, everything should go just fine!! ;)

What the heck is a love bug? My husband keeps teasing me about Palmetto bugs. This is our first trip to WDW and my first trip to Florida. After WDW, we're visiting Miami for a few days and he says they're like giant flying roaches. I didnt even think about bring bug repellant. What types of bugs are around Orlando in August?:(

Originally posted by Castillo Mom
What the heck is a love bug? My husband keeps teasing me about Palmetto bugs. This is our first trip to WDW and my first trip to Florida. After WDW, we're visiting Miami for a few days and he says they're like giant flying roaches. I didnt even think about bring bug repellant. What types of bugs are around Orlando in August?:(

A love bug has an interesting history. I was born and raised in Florida and have always been taught that they were a hybrid insect created by the University of Florida to control the mosquito population. Unfortunately, they didn't. They are also very acidic so birds and spiders won't eat them. They will ruin the paint job on your car, as well. They don't bite but they do fly around attatched end to end (hence the neme). When they are finished mating, they die shortly after. The season is usually May and September. I was at the Epcot parking lot yesterday for a GM auto show and we saw them out...not as bad as in past years.

As for Palmetto bugs, they are huge...I heard a comedian once say that Roaches in Florida don't run from the light...they put on sunglasses. Just remember since this is your first Florida visit...this is a swamp. You might see creatures never imagined. Don't be scared of the dragonflies...they are also huge...and harmless. There are lizards everywhere...also harmless. If you are travelling between parks, keep an eye out for native wildlife...especially in the early morning or evening hours. There are always Wild Turkeys or Whitetail Deer out and about, usually on the sides of the road on the way to MK. Try to get away from the Tourist areas and see some of the nature...Florida is really beautiful if you allow yourself to find it!

I'll try to keep your advice in mind as I scream bloody murder Samirella. Oh well, it'll be a good way to face my phobia. No bug will keep from WDW!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter