• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BRING BACK MAGICAL EXPRESS!

Why people keep thinking Disney owes them anything I really don't understand.
Disney has a long history of providing stellar customer service and perks for resort guests, which has created both brand loyalty and high expectations. When major perks are taken away, in tandem with prices being raised, many customers are understandably displeased.
This is what has happened to Disney's reputation as a result of recent changes they have made.

1671899728810.png

Disney's attitude in recent years reminds me of American car manufacturers in the 1960s and 1970s. "They'll keep buying no matter what's the quality of the product." Then they got their heads handled to them by Japanese manufacturers and it took decades for them to recover.

Universal is building an entire theme park while Disney cuts corners. Are we going to see a repeat in a few years?

Last edited:
I'm with you, Cheburashka.

I don't read into anyone's comments that they think Disney owes them something. Only that people miss this perk and would like to have it back.

We all know why Disney started this perk and why they dropped it. That doesn't mean we don't want it back. And wanting it back doesn't mean we think Disney owes us anything. Not too long ago a Disney World vacation was a unique one filled with perks that made the high prices worth it. Today a Disney World vacation is industry standard.

I don't belive Disney owes me anything. I just miss the specialness that was a trip to The World.

This is what has happened to Disney's reputation as a result of recent changes they have made.

View attachment 727150

Disney's attitude in recent years reminds me of American car manufacturers in the 1960s and 1970s. "They'll keep buying no matter what's the quality of the product." Then they got their heads handled to them by Japanese manufacturers and it took decades for them to recover.

Universal is building an entire theme park while Disney cuts corners. Are we going to see a repeat in a few years?
Does reputation matter as long as people are going to the parks? Sure, at SOME point, a poor reputation will hurt their attendance. Presumably, that hasn't hit yet. I haven't seen/heard of unusual "deals" or perks to fill up the park with guests. Yes, we *MIGHT* see attendance drop off in coming years, and then you'll see prices drop and perks return.

And airlines used to you give you full meals on domestic flights. MY point was simply that ME hasn't really been around that long. Many of us remember a time (like it is now) when visitors had to figure out their own transportation between the airport and WDW.
Airlines used to give you meals when airfares were $$$$.
15 years is a long time. Figuring out transportation is easy. Shared bus service is better for traffic. Luggage service can't really be duplicated.

I agree with other posters. Over the last 15 years Disney hotel prices have gone $$$. DME was one of the perks which separated Disney from other resorts.

Does reputation matter as long as people are going to the parks? Sure, at SOME point, a poor reputation will hurt their attendance. Presumably, that hasn't hit yet. I haven't seen/heard of unusual "deals" or perks to fill up the park with guests. Yes, we *MIGHT* see attendance drop off in coming years, and then you'll see prices drop and perks return.
Which is why I brought up the parallels with the U.S. auto industry in the 1960s and 1970s. They took their customers for granted for years and it took over a decade of bad behavior before customers starting abandoning them in numbers.

Some U.S. car makers went under. The rest nearly went bankrupt.

Disney is behaving much the same way at the moment. Keep it up and it will come back to bite them.

I agree with other posters. Over the last 15 years Disney hotel prices have gone $$$. DME was one of the perks which separated Disney from other resorts.
Please show me where I said hotel (and ticket and food) prices HAVEN'T exploded. Has that kept people away?

Which is why I brought up the parallels with the U.S. auto industry in the 1960s and 1970s. They took their customers for granted for years and it took over a decade of bad behavior before customers starting abandoning them in numbers.

Some U.S. car makers went under. The rest nearly went bankrupt.

Disney is behaving much the same way at the moment. Keep it up and it will come back to bite them.
Possibly. And I'm guessing when hotel stays or park attendance start dropping, you'll see a return of deep discounts and/or perks to attract folks back.
Reputation certainly matters in terms of their stock performance, yes. Disney cares a lot about that, for good reason.
And ALL the other tentacles Disney has (ESPN and movies immediately come to mind) have nothing to do with the stock performance? Does cutting back on perks affect stock prices? Maybe, in a VERY minor way.

Does cutting back on perks affect stock prices? Maybe, in a VERY minor way.
You asked, "Does reputation matter as long as people are going to the parks?" I answered that yes, reputation does matter very much to stock prices, and it's very true. Disney's reputation has nosedived in the past couple of years for multiple reasons.

We miss Magical Express terribly. But we used Blacklane last trip and it was great! The driver met us at the bottom of the escalator, got our luggage from the carousel, and showed us to the car that was close, and put the luggage in the trunk. The car itself was clean and luxurious, there was free wifi, and water. It was a very nice way to start the vacation.

You asked, "Does reputation matter as long as people are going to the parks?" I answered that yes, reputation does matter very much to stock prices, and it's very true. Disney's reputation has nosedived in the past couple of years for multiple reasons.
Sigh. Fine, you win. :rolleyes:

There were plenty of non-magical rides on ME also, LOL.

It's not coming back. Just do carry-on only, get a Lyft, and relax.

I do remember lots of non-magical rides on ME and was one of the ones that started using Uber/Lyft for many trips. Though I did love the feeling that the vacation started when you got to the airport.

I'm also a carry-on only person, but the luggage transfer was a game changer for families with little kids and really added to that feeling that Disney made everything as easy as possible for families. I always felt like ME/luggage transfer and included Fastpass differentiated Disney from other theme parks in my mind.

I'm also a carry-on only person, but the luggage transfer was a game changer for families with little kids and really added to that feeling that Disney made everything as easy as possible for families. I always felt like ME/luggage transfer and included Fastpass differentiated Disney from other theme parks in my mind.
Yes, absolutely. MDE is what made it possible for me to fly to Disney World and be able to manage our first trip, as the single mother of an autistic 5 year-old. I wouldn't have gone without it because I couldn't handle the luggage and transportation in addition to my challenged small child. But Disney's clear website description of how they completely took care of your luggage and transportation gave me the confidence to go and take my child, and we had an unforgettable first trip.

All of the "I don't need it, don't care for it" people aren't thinking about the effect these changes have on those who are a little needier.

Last edited:
Going to research BackLane…
We miss Magical Express terribly. But we used Blacklane last trip and it was great! The driver met us at the bottom of the escalator, got our luggage from the carousel, and showed us to the car that was close, and put the luggage in the trunk. The car itself was clean and luxurious, there was free wifi, and water. It was a very nice way to start the vacation.

I do remember lots of non-magical rides on ME and was one of the ones that started using Uber/Lyft for many trips. Though I did love the feeling that the vacation started when you got to the airport.
I also remember the excitement of seeing the ME sign at the airport.... then getting into your assigned line... and waiting while every other line around you got on a bus.... Then you get on the bus! ... but now you have to wait.... and wait... then finally you head to the resort... but not yours... you wait... while the bus stops... and stops.... Finally get to your resort (the time from initial check in to arrival... too long)

The last trip we used Tiffany. The driver met us at baggage, helped get everything to the limo, stopped for a short grocery stop... Then to the resort. Easy peasy. And all under an hour.

So far Mears Connect has worked really well for us since 2012, which is when I discovered it trying to find a way from MCO to the WDW Dolphin. For $76 RT we've found it to be very equivalent to ME, but we never had a driver get lost or had to wait very long at MCO. I do like the driving tracking text we get on check out day.

There were plenty of non-magical rides on ME also, LOL.

It's not coming back. Just do carry-on only, get a Lyft, and relax.
ME was always non magical for us
takes way too long. Sorry but not standing in line to start my vacation not to mention how long it wastes at the end picking you up way too soon
it’s a feature I waved happily goodbye to
there are too many better ways to get back and forth
that’s what I think Disney figured out

I also remember the excitement of seeing the ME sign at the airport.... then getting into your assigned line... and waiting while every other line around you got on a bus.... Then you get on the bus! ... but now you have to wait.... and wait... then finally you head to the resort... but not yours... you wait... while the bus stops... and stops.... Finally get to your resort (the time from initial check in to arrival... too long)

The last trip we used Tiffany. The driver met us at baggage, helped get everything to the limo, stopped for a short grocery stop... Then to the resort. Easy peasy. And all under an hour.
Every ME ride we ever did was exactly like the bolded
never didn’t wait in line for ME
never went to just 1 resort
always stopped at several
arrival at the resort from check in was always too long
so you are saying the new services are exactly the same as ME. Just not free and you get your bags, which means no more waiting hours for them to show as it was with the old system

Yes, absolutely. MDE is what made it possible for me to fly to Disney World and be able to manage our first trip, as the single mother of an autistic 5 year-old. I wouldn't have gone without it because I couldn't handle the luggage and transportation in addition to my challenged small child. But Disney's clear website description of how they completely took care of your luggage and transportation gave me the confidence to go and take my child, and we had an unforgettable first trip.

All of the "I don't need it, don't care for it" people aren't thinking about the effect these changes have on those who are a little needier.
The waiting 5+ hours for ME to get you bags seems pretty challenging too. Surprised you didn’t find that to be an issue

As a DVC member with a Southwest companion pass, I found myself taking several last-minute weekend trips. Adding the cost of a rental car or uber to get to the resort, the short trips just aren't as worth it anymore. The lack of DME has changed how I travel to WDW.

May I ask what you find is a typical Uber/Lyft fee? I also do some solo trips and hate paying for transport for 1 that is the same as transport for 3 or 4 :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter