Breaking up with Disney?

I am not happy with many current policies (Genie+, having to wake up at 7am on vacation, park passes, lackluster nighttime shows, crowds, etc) and if I thought it would be like this forever I would probably "break up" too.

However, I have 42 years left on my DVC contract. I have faith that some of these issues will change for the better once enough guests get fed up and/or there is an eventual change in leadership and things will improve. Could take years, who knows, but I can always rent my points in the meantime for a modest profit and wait it out. For now I plan on still going but less frequently and seeing what evolves.

Completely relate. We have spent a lot of time in Disney lately and I do not think we will ever step in the parks again. (APs just expired) It went from not being fun anymore with all the ridiculous changes to anger over everything going on now.

We bought in because it was a place we found ourselves always going to for fun and relaxation. Now it is like the bad marriage that we are staying in because we invested so much into it. We just keep trying to make it work but the other side has just changed too much and it's only getting worse. (As a side note, as much as I am in the boat of ousting Chapek, I think it's bigger than him so I am not optimistic)

Having said that, we stayed at AKL last month and I kept thinking: We could really come here, never step into a park and not even feel we are in Disney. We just put up one of our contracts for sale and assuming it sells, we probably will keep selling but the resorts are the hard part to give up right now.
You are correct. it's MUCH bigger than Chapek! I too am not optimistic.

Without getting into the forbidden weeds, at this time I refuse to give Disney a single penny.

I respect that, and in many ways I identify with it at the moment (which is odd for me, I know).

Here is my question.... Given that I already own DVC, there isn't really a way I can NOT give them another penny. I mean I could rent my points out to someone else, but that doesn't really affect their bottom line. In fact, the person I rent to will probably spend more than I would.

I can not rent my points at all which costs me money, and still doesn't hurt them. In fact, it relieves some of their inventory issues.

So how - as a DVC owner - can you speak with your wallet? OTHER THAN SELL which I am not ready to do.

Just thinking here as I read this thread. What percentage of people that are becoming disenchanted with Disney have actually sent Management an email about their feelings? I'm guessing it is pretty low. But I think it may actually have an impact if everyone did it. Especially about G+ etc.

I respect that, and in many ways I identify with it at the moment (which is odd for me, I know).

Here is my question.... Given that I already own DVC, there isn't really a way I can NOT give them another penny. I mean I could rent my points out to someone else, but that doesn't really affect their bottom line. In fact, the person I rent to will probably spend more than I would.

I can not rent my points at all which costs me money, and still doesn't hurt them. In fact, it relieves some of their inventory issues.

So how - as a DVC owner - can you speak with your wallet? OTHER THAN SELL which I am not ready to do.
The only way to "speak with your wallet" as a DVC owner is to book your stay and not go into the parks, not eat in their restaurants and not purchase their souvenirs.

Just thinking here as I read this thread. What percentage of people that are becoming disenchanted with Disney have actually sent Management an email about their feelings? I'm guessing it is pretty low. But I think it may actually have an impact if everyone did it. Especially about G+ etc.

Speaking for myself, I have written DVC, which passed it up to parks. I have written guestrelations, and I have written Chapek's email which I am sure goes to some secretary who threw it out.

I mean I could rent my points out to someone else, but that doesn't really affect their bottom line. In fact, the person I rent to will probably spend more than I would.
I actually think it does impact their bottom line. You offering up a room for rent is one less party paying Disney for a room. That’s less demand for Disney hotel rooms, which affects their ability to jack up price.

I would guess that a lot of people simply don't want to take the time (especially for something that may not even do anything) or know where to send it. I know people have posted ones in the past, but if anyone has a simple draft of a template that they could provide (which includes updates for anything new, including genie+, etc), I think that would result in more people submitting something in the hopes of real change.

This has been our struggle. I’m hard headed or maybe optimistic that things will get better? Although this has been ongoing…more that ten years? Maybe it’s time to get real and throw in the towel.

Same boat here. I am giving thought to spending my time elsewhere when I'm staying on property. It's too late for this month to do that, I already bought and paid for TP tickets. But next year's trip may look a lot different. We have stayed on property and went elsewhere in the past, also when we went to the beach resorts we spent less money on site.

I'm not ready to sell yet, but I don't know what the future will hold.

Other than not go and renting your points so its someone else paying them? Not much else you can do if you are really are no longer interested in visiting. As already mentioned, there are ways to go and just enjoy the resort and limit what is spent on food, etc.

Or, as others have said, visit other places in the area.

DVC Members aren't really dating the Mouse, so breaking up isn't really the analogy. Instead, they are married, so it's akin to asking whether it is time for a divorce.

In other words, is it time to sell? Anything else is just a trial separation.

And, maybe that's just what some folks need. Rent your points (or exchange them in II) and vacation somewhere else for a year or three. You may decide that you miss the Mouse, warts and all. Or, you may decide that there's a Big Blue World out there, and it is worth exploring.

I started wandering into the weeds, sorry. I should have known better.
You can send snail mail to DVC senior management at the DVC Celebration office (address can be found on member website). A lovely lady named Joy worked for Ken Potrak and opened every piece of mail addressed to him. I don’t know if she works for Bill. I’m no longer interested in adding on direct at Riviera and plan to let them know why. Not really sure about email.....I’m sure the addresses are out there somewhere, but if there are so many coming in, do they read them?
As for cutting back, use your kitchens in your DVC room as much as you can. Even using a studio kitchen can help save money on food. Share an Uber with some fellow DVCers and Do a wine, beer, water run to Winn Dixie. Huge savings.
Limit merchandise to one thing per person.

We are planning for March 2022 - I will admit I’m not feeling the magic as much this time around. A lot of it is Genie+, ME, and the fact that many of our favourites are still closed. However I’m willing to experience it myself in person and see. My two kids could care less about any of those things above - they just want to get back to their favourite place. I’m thinking (hoping) once we are there, and I see their happy faces, I’ll feel the magic once again.

Just curious, how was your trip? Did you find the magic?

If people are really unhappy and want to make sure their feedback gets to the person they want, probably the best way is too send an old fashioned letter rather than an email.
Letters dont tend to get screened these days… so few of them are received they usually are given directly to the person they are addressed to.

I can’t believe I’m even saying this but I think we are breaking up with Disney. I’ve seen this same thing on the disboards over the years and now it’s us. Disney has meant so much to my family over the last ten years. It has been our go to vacation destination with us spending a minimum of two weeks each year. Due to the pandemic, we haven’t been to the parks since July 2019. We have enjoyed some resort only stays as well as VBR. At the parks, so much has changed that I just can’t get excited about our July 2022 trip. I am really dreading the whole thing and that never happens!!! I even suggested to DH that we should sell one of our contracts and he actually agreed! Anyone else out there feeling this way?? It just feels like the magic is gone for us and it makes me sad.
I get it. We went in April 2021 and I was somewhat questioning the same thing. Nothing felt the same, even thought there was still magic there if you looked hard enough. But we just went in February and so much has changed at the parks...for the better. Entertainment is coming back in a big way. Soon the characters will not be socially distanced anymore. The "vibe" this past February felt more like Disney than in 2020. Sure the park reservation system is annoying and staffing is still an issue at times, but once you get over those hurtles you will see that it feels like it is coming back. It's not all the way back yet, but it is getting there. IMO, I would give it another year or two to see how it plays out. If Disney can't get its act straight on the remaining issues (issues related to staffing, etc.) by then then maybe selling isn't the worst idea. AND Chapek could be gone after this year, so yeah....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter