Breaking up with Disney?

I’ve read a lot of negative posts on the Disboards, but I know I won’t give up on Disney without going and making a decision on my experience.

Best wishes as you make your decision!
We went, saw both night displays in person, and enjoyed then. I have to say, even our DGS’s 8 and 9, liked them both!

They went early mornings, did everything they wanted, ROR, FoP, others many times.

We’ll be back and make more reservations.

Our older DGCs had fun on the rides. Illnesses and infusions affected what they can do, but we have many ride pictures, they had a good time. Went home with a light saber and banshee, something oldest DGS (17) really wanted.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I’m even saying this but I think we are breaking up with Disney. I’ve seen this same thing on the disboards over the years and now it’s us. Disney has meant so much to my family over the last ten years. It has been our go to vacation destination with us spending a minimum of two weeks each year. Due to the pandemic, we haven’t been to the parks since July 2019. We have enjoyed some resort only stays as well as VBR. At the parks, so much has changed that I just can’t get excited about our July 2022 trip. I am really dreading the whole thing and that never happens!!! I even suggested to DH that we should sell one of our contracts and he actually agreed! Anyone else out there feeling this way?? It just feels like the magic is gone for us and it makes me sad.
Well, certainly your choice. Life is short- enjoy one of the many other phenomenal travel destinations throughout the country and world.

We left Disney, but it wasn’t so much of a break up on our part.

Disney broke up with us.

We were huge fans of the old Pleasure Island, especially the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse. When those venues closed, there was truly no evening adult entertainment.

THEE single best attraction Disney had, that happened to be a bar, was the Adventurers Club.

That was the beginning of our divorce. If you have never been, you will never understand.

Kungaloosh!!!
was talking about it the other night to a buddy. we spent countless nights in there. went in at light came out at dark. place was a blast! it's sooooo missed!

I wonder how long it will take Disney to realize that shunning frequent visitors with the removal of long-standing perks is not in its best financial interest. I hope the realization doesn't take very long.
it will never happen. for each of those that leave 100's replace them with just 1 trip. i really don't know what the answer is. it's sad. i miss going so much over these past almost 2 years.

it will never happen. for each of those that leave 100's replace them with just 1 trip. i really don't know what the answer is. it's sad. i miss going so much over these past almost 2 years.
That analogy implies that 100s are being barred from vacationing at Disney by virtue of one customer being there. They're not. A customer lost is not replaced. They're just lost.

We left our rented points Beach Club Villa in March of 2020 and came home to a completely shut down world. During all the chaos I dreamed of purchasing my first contract, followed several sellers, thought about how to pay for it, which resort, how many points....I'm so glad I didn't follow through.

One more long trip on property in 2022 planned with another family before the G+ announcement. We will still go and have an amazing time. No complaining, no "remember when we could...", no loud sighs. Just a good time. After that, on to the next adventure.

Buying DVC is off the table. I'm sure other people will be happy to take my place in line, and that's fine.

That analogy implies that 100s are being barred from vacationing at Disney by virtue of one customer being there. They're not. A customer lost is not replaced. They're just lost.
omg what i mean is 100's are lining up to give them their money for every 1 person that says they aren't going anymore. that 1 person not going anymore has no downside to disney making it up wit the 100's of people who travel once in their life time to go.

The only real way to make Disney feel it is to stay at a dvc resort and cook in the room or eat off property. Visit UO, or other nearby FL attractions. Give Disney a $0 income trip.
This is exactly what we have done for a few years.... especially since Covid. We use HHI, Vero, and whatever we can get at WDW as our snowbird homes for January/February. Might eat at restaurant once but mostly cook in room. Haven't been to a park in years and won't until it is safe for grandkids to go.

I would just recommend - get them places other than Disney, let them have other experiences.

That’s absolutely the plan! When they’re a bit older we plan on doing Disney and non-Disney trips every year. There are a lot of places we’ve been before that we’d love to take them, as well as new places that we’d love to experience together. DVC just gives us a better experience for the Disney portion of our vacation time.

I think that if you are going to take ONE Disney trip - six or seven is an ideal age. But its completely worthwhile to get photos of toddlers with characters (not that they are great at the moment) if you are going to take more than one trip. And then go again when they are older. And again when they are older yet.

I agree, and we wouldn’t have taken our kids so young if we were only planning on going once or twice. As it is, we go multiple times a year to DLR and WDW (except for last year) ever since my oldest was not yet 1 year old. Since we’re in CA, DLR is a much easier trip and usually a shorter one. I didn’t grow up going to Disney and I feel very fortunate that we’re able to take our kids now. Every trip with them is special, and you can just see the magic in everything through their eyes. It’s a lot of work with a million diaper/potty breaks and messy meals, but worth every moment. Even if they don’t remember the specifics, I hope they remember the happiness and I believe their brains are making a ton of connections with everything they experience.

We left Disney, but it wasn’t so much of a break up on our part.

Disney broke up with us.

We were huge fans of the old Pleasure Island, especially the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse. When those venues closed, there was truly no evening adult entertainment.

THEE single best attraction Disney had, that happened to be a bar, was the Adventurers Club.

That was the beginning of our divorce. If you have never been, you will never understand.

Kungaloosh!!!
I COMPLETELY understand. My last memory was the night they closed. People were so, so sad. And yet hanging out in front waiting for it all to be over were a bunch of smirking Disney suits, like vultures over carnage. Made me sick.
Kungaloosh forever!

omg what i mean is 100's are lining up to give them their money for every 1 person that says they aren't going anymore. that 1 person not going anymore has no downside to disney making it up wit the 100's of people who travel once in their life time to go.
What planet was that person on....

I can’t believe I’m even saying this but I think we are breaking up with Disney. I’ve seen this same thing on the disboards over the years and now it’s us. Disney has meant so much to my family over the last ten years. It has been our go to vacation destination with us spending a minimum of two weeks each year. Due to the pandemic, we haven’t been to the parks since July 2019. We have enjoyed some resort only stays as well as VBR. At the parks, so much has changed that I just can’t get excited about our July 2022 trip. I am really dreading the whole thing and that never happens!!! I even suggested to DH that we should sell one of our contracts and he actually agreed! Anyone else out there feeling this way?? It just feels like the magic is gone for us and it makes me sad.
We feel the same and sold our contracts and we are actually relieved. Now if we want to go we can go with no more wait list annual dues and banking deadlines. Disney bought them back from us no commission and we were very pleased with their offer

If Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selections excite you, then do not sell.

Since you have not been since July 2019, there are several new attractions to experience:
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Smugglers Run
  • Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad
  • Ratatouille
  • Guardians of the galaxy (2022)
  • Tron (TBD)
The Magic Kingdom and Epcot both have new nighttime shows.

If these get you excited, then do not sell.

Really, the reason to sell is if you are disgusted by the obvious money grabs - big price increases in tickets, hotels, and food. Plus a lot of petty nickel and diming - end of Disney’s Magical Express, end of free FastPass+, end of free MagicBands, etc.

You’ll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if Walt Disney World is still worth it for you.
use your points around this country and the world. we have stayed around this country and let me tell ya, you pay $95 bucks, ( you can't find a decent hotel a night for that, and use 80-100 points for a one bedroom for a WEEK!

If they didn’t backdate his AP, he essentially would have gotten 10/3-10/11 free. He used it those days. They applied that money to the new pass. So it should take the place of that used pass, which started 10/3.

OP here…I think we’re going to hang onto both of our contracts. We do love our stays at the DVC resorts and Orlando has a lot to offer with Universal and SeaWorld. We’ve enjoyed VBR and I think we will try to get HHI for the summer of 2023. We’re going to stick with our plans of visiting the parks again in July 2022 and see how it goes. I am hoping we can find the magic again.

We're taking our next trip in December and that will be the last one for a while. We'll be vacationing in other places instead and we'll either rent our DVC points out to help fund those trips or we'll use the points for RCI stays instead. I don't want to give up DVC but Disney is pricing us out and some of the new changes are hard to reconcile for the way we like to travel and enjoy park time. I'm going on the December trip with low expectations and we'll see how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter