Booked my Son's Honeymoon

WishesQueen

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, Just booked my son's honeymoon (wedding gift) to Aulani (so jealous).

Does anyone have any helpful tips for them?
Can I apply a discount if one comes available for September, like I do with Disney World Resorts?

There staying just in Aulani looking forward to relaxing and doing La Vegas on the return home

Thanks in advance!!

We are dvc so I don’t know anything about discounts but we have been to aulani 10 times and love it.

If they love nightlife though they could be disappointed. Not much going on after 10. Although if you walk across the street to the monkeypod the bar tends to be more lively.

If they want to eat at AmaAma they should book ahead. The other restaurants at aulani are nothing special at least for us. Other good restaurants are a couple at the four seasons next door or down the footpath to the Marriott. The monkey pod also has good food and a live music starting about 4 or 5. Good maitais. All can be booked ahead on open table.

There is also a taco place across the street and pizza, coffee and ice cream shop. Down the street is Roy’s which is very famous in Hawaii. Some love it. We were not impressed especially considering the price.

If they have a car or want to book an Uber kapolei is just a couple miles away. Lots of chain restaurants there and grocery stores. We love an Italian place there called Assiagos. Or the brick oven pizza. Not fancy but good pizza and reasonably priced wine.

We love the luau at aulani. I recommend paying the price for premium seats with unlimited drinks.

We never leave because we have been all over the island but there are lots of things to see and do with a car or on excursions. Obviously Pearl Harbor or Waimea falls are at top of list.

Depending on when they are there getting a chair at the pool can be difficult. You need to be up early to get shade. The beach is easier.

The best place for the sunset is on the sidewalk that runs along the beach just to the left of the hotel entrance where there are fewer trees.

Hawaii is expensive so they should be prepared to spend their wedding money if they want decent food and drinks. Dinner for two is rarely going to be less than $100 with a drink. And even food at the grocery store is much higher. We usually do breakfast and lunch in the room and then have a nice dinner at night.

It’s a wonderful honeymoon location!

Thank you so much!

They'll be there in September, I don't know if thats a busy time. My son will want shade but my daughter-in-law would want sun...lol

They definitely want to go to luau at Aulani, I think they told them 60 days out like ADR's for Disney World.

The restaurant recommendations sound perfect for them, again thanks so much!

We are DVC members so no advice on room discounts.

For nice dinners, the Four Seasons restaurants (Noe, Mina’s Fish house) outshine AmaAma. If they eat at Noe, they should request the two top tables by the koi ponds. La Hiki is open for lunch and breakfast - solid option for low key meals. For more casual food there are great options across the street - Meikiko cantina has great tacos and a margarita flight, Eggs n Things does a great breakfast. Monkeypod offers a nice change of pace from the resort but food is nothing special. Roy’s was underwhelming honestly so unless they just love Roy’s they should skip it. The non Disney restaurants can be booked on OpenTable. I would suggest they do the character breakfast at the resort - the food is good and it is one of those things you just have to do once.

I would suggest splurging on a cabana if they want to be by the pools. On our last trip we booked a cabana for two days and totally worth it.

The Aulani luau is fun if they’ve never been but it’s not something we’d do on every trip.

If they will have a car, Foodland is a grocery store with fresh poke etc: it’s in Kapolei. We always have a full kitchen so we stock up on drinks, snacks, breakfast items, etc. There’s a Costco and target also reasonably close in Kapolei. If they don’t need/want a ton of food/drinks for the room, the Island Market in Ko Olina is a great option but pricier than Foodland/target/costco.

Also, they should be aware on the return flights most airlines limit how early you can drop your luggage off. So, if they’re flight leaves at 5pm, they should not plan to check in/drop off luggage at 10am and then leave to do something else.

Last edited:

Thanks so much, I am going to print all this information out for them. Their definitely interested in a cabana a couple of days. Do you know how early you can book them? And the definitely want the Luau, do you know when they can book that?

Do you know how early you can book them? And the definitely want the Luau, do you know when they can book that?

I believe cabanas can be booked starting 90 days prior to arrival currently. In the past they could be booked at any time so you may want to double check with the resort.

The luau is run by a third party but you can reach the booking via the Aulani website - I just looked and right now you can book through July. Also I’d suggest splurging for preferred seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter