• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boardwalk vs. Yacht vs. Beach Club?

DW and I are fans of the Boardwalk Inn. We love the theming and the nostalgic feel of the resort.

That said, all three resorts are very nice. If a pool is important to you then Stormalong Bay would probably send you to either the BC or YC.

In my opinion the Epcot resorts are the best location at WDW.

We usually rent points. So between the beach club in the boardwalk we just prefer the theming of the beach club better. But as far as location you can't go wrong with any choice

We have stayed at all three as well as the Swan/Dolphin. They are all nice resorts.

My thoughts, FWIW:

BC
pros:
bright and cheerful atmosphere
closest to Epcot International gateway, especially rooms at the end
my personal favourite of the 5 Epcot resorts
access to Stormalong Bay
Easy access to the Boardwalk and its attractions (just across the bridge)
Beaches and Cream
Cons:
some rooms have small standing room only balconies
not all rooms have a day bed, which could be a real problem with 5 - I would request a room with a daybed if you choose the BC
it has the marketplace (QS) and the character dining restaurant (Cape May) which can make it busier than the YC
further away from the boat dock
when sharing bus with the YC, it is the second stop

YC
pros:
first pick up/drop off when sharing a bus with BC
Stormalong Bay
almost all rooms have full balconies and daybeds
'quieter' resort - feels more 'adult'
close to the dock for boat to DHS/Epcot
cons:
longer walk to Epcot or Boardwalk
no QS
feels more 'adult', so not quite as kid friendly in atmosphere

Boardwalk
pros:
close to Epcot
doesn't usually share a bus with other resorts
attractive rooms
most rooms have daybeds
lots of activities on the Boardwalk in the evening - nice (but can be noisy, depending upon where your room is located)
Ample Hills ice cream!
cons:
you have to go outside to get to any stores or dining options
balconies can vary in size
The bus stop seemed like a long walk and the hallways are very long and convoluted
clown pool can be seen as creepy

Good luck choosing! They are all great resorts !

Last edited:

I really think this comes down to personal preferences. I will say, though, that the beach club scent is much beloved around here, but actually makes me nauseous. I'm really glad we visited there before booking a stay there, because that would have been miserable.
I agree... we stayed at BC during the Christmas season. They piped in gingerbread and Carmel scent. My family thought it was great. I can't stand the smell of Carmel (triggers morning sickness memories). I had to get off the elevator at make a bee line for outside... didn't get to enjoy the lobby atmosphere for a second.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. We've done BC for the past 2 Augusts. We spent a bit of time at YC and a bit more time at BW, so next year we are going to go with whichever is cheapest. We don't want to decide!

My personal preference would be BC and I think the kids would prefer Stormalong Bay over the BW pool. They are all in the same general area so whichever theme appeals more to your family would probably be your best choice.

In midwinter, I'd recommend the Boardwalk Inn simply because it's the prettiest. The Stormalong Bay pool complex is a major draw at Yacht & Beach Club in the warm months, but you will make little to no use of it during your winter trip. With that out as a consideration, I'd focus on the fact that the Boardwalk is a more elegant hotel, and naturally is right on the Boardwalk, so you can enjoy the Boardwalk activities and shops just steps from your hotel.

That is not necessarily true. I think it mainly depends on where someone is travelling from. We live in central NY and my kids always used pools in winter months. A few years ago we had a February that the temp here never got above 10°F all month so going to even 60° F in FL would feel like a heat wave. Plus with the water heated the temperature doesn't make as much of a difference to those of us travelling from a cold climate.

A few years ago we had a February that the temp here never got above 10°F all month so going to even 60° F in FL would feel like a heat wave. Plus with the water heated the temperature doesn't make as much of a difference to those of us travelling from a cold climate.
That's assuming that the weather will be 60 degrees, which is an optimistic assumption. The temperature might be in the low 60's in midwinter, or it might be in the 50's, the 40's, or even in the 30's with the wind chill factored in. I have experienced all of those in winter at WDW. When we were there during a cold snap, the resort pool was closed and no one was swimming. Even when it's just warm enough to swim & feel good in heated water, few people will make full use of Stormalong Bay, to do things like walking across the pool complex wet to get to the top of its giant water slide, sit out and build sand castles next to its sandy pool, or float on top of inner tubes in the lazy river. So no, I don't think it's worth it for Stormalong Bay in midwinter. Every resort has a pool, and Boardwalk has a very nice one, if you just want to get in the water. But a waterpark-type experience like Stormalong Bay is best enjoyed in warm weather.

Last edited:
That's assuming that the weather will be 60 degrees, which is an optimistic assumption. The temperature might be in the low 60's in midwinter, or it might be in the 50's, the 40's, or even in the 30's with the wind chill factored in. I have experienced all of those in winter at WDW. When we were there during a cold snap, the resort pool was closed and no one was swimming. Even when it's just warm enough to swim & feel good in heated water, few people will make full use of Stormalong Bay, to do things like walking across the pool complex wet to get to the top of its giant water slide, sit out and build sand castles next to its sandy pool, or float on top of inner tubes in the lazy river. So no, I don't think it's worth it for Stormalong Bay in midwinter. Every resort has a pool, and Boardwalk has a very nice one, if you just want to get in the water. But a waterpark-type experience like Stormalong Bay is best enjoyed in warm weather.

I certainly don't consider Stormalong Bay a water park experience. Having many water parks near my house I actually feel that Stormalong Bay doesn't compare to a water park at all. It is a very nice pool area that many children enjoy. I stand by my comments of it depends on the location someone is travelling from. Most children will use a pool, it depends on what the parents will allow. I agree that temperatures will vary from year to year or even day to day. I don't think it's being optimistic to think the temperature could be 60 considering the average temperature that time of year is high 60's to low 70's which is certainly warm enough for using a pool especially pools that are heated. We can certainly have different opinions of whether it's warm enough to use a pool. The OP however deserves to know that all pools are heated to 82° year round and that many from the north find that acceptable for swimming.

We love Boardwalk, but would go to YC next if Boardwalk was booked. The seafood smell at Beach Club scares me away. I have heard a few reports of rooms above the buffet smelling like fish... that would ruin my vacation. Just walking through the lobby in the evening makes me never want to stay there.

In Dec 2014 we stayed at BC. On the first Park day it was 85 degrees and we couldn't wait to get to the pool. The rest of the trip was rainy and about 50 for the high and 35 for the low(we are from Montana and can handle cold but it was warmer in MT than FL that week). Even the hot tub was more like a Luke warm bath. We didn't get much use out of any of it. We decided in cooler months we will go to BW and wait for warmer months to try BC again. In the winter you never know what the weather will be.

For wintertime I'd suggest BWI, though we love all three. Boardwalk would be more of a regular draw for us, but we tend to travel to WDW 90% of the time in the summer months and that pool is unbeatable. Take the pool out of the equation and we really like all three resorts equally, though my personal taste is actually mostly in tune with BWI. Also, I *believe* that the vast majority of rooms at BWI have a daybed or couch, whereas at BC/YC, there's only a 50% chance of getting one, and then they have to wheel in a cot, which just makes the room look a mess.

So, when pool is out of play, and for a family of five, I'd go BWI.

For wintertime I'd suggest BWI, though we love all three. Boardwalk would be more of a regular draw for us, but we tend to travel to WDW 90% of the time in the summer months and that pool is unbeatable. Take the pool out of the equation and we really like all three resorts equally, though my personal taste is actually mostly in tune with BWI. Also, I *believe* that the vast majority of rooms at BWI have a daybed or couch, whereas at BC/YC, there's only a 50% chance of getting one, and then they have to wheel in a cot, which just makes the room look a mess.

So, when pool is out of play, and for a family of five, I'd go BWI.
Are you sure about the daybed percentage? Where does that statistic come from? I have never seen that before. For sure about the balconies, but I wonder about daybeds

Last edited:
Are you sure about the daybed percentage? Where does that static come from? I have never seen that before. For sure about the balconies, but I wonder about daybeds
It's nothing scientific, but we've stayed multiple times and always had one and I love looking at pictures on sites such as TripAdvisor and *never* seen a room without.

It's nothing scientific, but we've stayed multiple times and always had one and I love looking at pictures on sites such as TripAdvisor and *never* seen a room without.

Our experience, FWIW:
I have no idea of how many 'percentage-wise', but we have stayed at BC 6 times and had a room without a daybed on 2 occasions.

Any of the three resorts better in terms of boat service or bus service? We are thinking we will boat to HS and EP, bus (or drive) to AK, Springs, waterparks. Side question - monorail to MK or bus, which is better, in your opinions?
When we stayed at BWI, we would hop on a boat for the Studios and Epcot if the boat was right there. Otherwise we would just walk. After a couple of days with really long waits at the BWI for the MK bus, we ended up just walking to the Studios and catching a bus to the MK.

W
Hi!
We will be traveling end of Jan/early Feb. 2019, there will be 3 adults and 2 kids (10 & 8 at time of travel).
Where should we stay? Pluses/minuses of each?
Thanks!
We love the Epcot resorts. It is so nice to be able to walk and/or take a boat rather than a bus for 2 of the parks. We have stayed at the Yacht Club and recently the Boardwalk.
Boardwalk- Pros/Cons- We stayed at the Inn side and had an amazing Standard room- 3279. We had a corner view of the Boardwalk. It was close to the elevator so no long walks and right outside was the boat launch and Boardwalk Bakery, where we refilled our mugs. It was nice not to have a long trek to get back to the room. The downside was it was pretty loud as our balcony overlooked the balcony of the belle vue bar/lounge. We liked that there is a dedicated bus stop for the Boardwalk and never waited long for a bus. The pool was packed and not that large.The clown was not as creepy as it looks in the photo. There are 2 quiet pools but they were busy too.( It was incredibly hot when we were there.) My friend stayed at the Villa side and loved her room but had a long walk to everything. It really depends on your room.

Yacht Club/Beach club
The Yacht club has a beautiful and somewhat formal lobby but the Storm a long bay pool is so much better. I also liked the sandy waterfront with benches. Our room was very far from everything and it is a much longer walk down the pier to get to the boat but I might have chosen that for the pool alone. Beach Club is more family friendly and we love the Cape May buffet there. It is more hectic and crowded but you seem to be going at a more quiet time. I dont think I would choose Beach Club during school breaks.

You can't go wrong either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter