lockets

DIS Veteran
Where would you have it in Orlando?

Attendees:
2 pax - One years old
2 pax - Four years old
1 pax - Eight year old
11 pax - Adults

Will be on a Saturday in the late morning or early afternoon.

The best place for a party of this kind is at home in your backyard. Invite grandma and grandpa and maybe a particularly close aunt and uncle, if they also have little kids. These are the only people that will genuinely be excited about the event. Don't bother inviting friends or colleagues, especially childless ones. They won't get it.

I understand wanting a big birthday party for your child's first birthday. We did for my first daughters. But it really was for the adults - grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. We did it in the common area of the apartment complex we lived at. I think something like a party at home is really the best for this age. Otherwise pick something that the older children will enjoy.

The best place for a party of this kind is at home in your backyard. Invite grandma and grandpa and maybe a particularly close aunt and uncle, if they also have little kids. These are the only people that will genuinely be excited about the event. Don't bother inviting friends or colleagues, especially childless ones. They won't get it.

This all day long!!
Even if you are local, you will exhaust yourself trying this. Do it at home, where your child lives, it will go SO much smoother. You will have many Birthdays that can be over the top, ones that your child can like and want, because at 1, this is for the parents.

Really, one year old party is for parents/grands/godparents. Only good for pictures and memories, child won't remember.
But why is it wrong if it's a party for the parents and the grandparents? What is wrong with pictures and memories? Genuine questions. I think it's nice for extended family to have gatherings. Why isn't it okay for birthdays, anniversaries, or weddings to create a reason for the family to gather? I've seen a bunch of threads on this forum that seem to be very anti-occasion. I really don't understand. In my family and friend group we treat birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, etc, the same way we treat holidays. I think it's wonderful and part of why we're all so close.

But why is it wrong if it's a party for the parents and the grandparents? What is wrong with pictures and memories? Genuine questions. I think it's nice for extended family to have gatherings. Why isn't it okay for birthdays, anniversaries, or weddings to create a reason for the family to gather?

I think you may be misinterpreting what prior posters mean by saying a birthday party for a one-year-old is for the adults' enjoyment. I don't see any implication that it's "wrong" to have such a party, merely that it'll be far more meaningful and memorable for the adults than for the few children involved.

Also, a party for a child this young is more suitable for close relatives than family friends or coworkers who may feel obligated to attend though not that interested in doing so.

The birthday child won't be at all aware or take note of who's present, so there's not much point to including non-family adults or children unless they're particularly close with the parents. Like family, in other words.

Seems to me the advice given indicates this is an occasion for a family gathering, not a more elaborate party involving non-family. That's why I see prior posters as agreeing with you, not disagreeing.

Definitely different answers whether this is a trip or you are local.

If it's a Disney trip, call your hotel and ask what might be available. I'm sure they have experience with helping guests plan events.

If you are local, I agree that a simple party at home is usually best. But if home is just too small for that large a group, then it depends on the child's temperament (and the budget) -

A local park can be a nice, simple choice, where the guest of honor won't be too overstimulated. There's plenty of room for the older kids to run around and the adults to chat or be active themselves.

If you want something a little more organized, and you don't think the baby would be overwhelmed, maybe check out indoor play spaces? Many have party rooms, and special toddler play areas.

But why is it wrong if it's a party for the parents and the grandparents? What is wrong with pictures and memories? Genuine questions. I think it's nice for extended family to have gatherings. Why isn't it okay for birthdays, anniversaries, or weddings to create a reason for the family to gather? I've seen a bunch of threads on this forum that seem to be very anti-occasion. I really don't understand. In my family and friend group we treat birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, etc, the same way we treat holidays. I think it's wonderful and part of why we're all so close.
I don't think one person has said it's not worthy of celebrating. The question the OP asked is WHERE to have it, as if the PLACE matters. For example, if it was for a 10 year old into sports, it might be nice to have it at a semi-professional (pick your sport) game. Or lazer tag, breakout rooms, trampoline park, etc.

A one year old isn't going to remember the occasion. It's for immediate family (and POSSIBLY really close friends). So you're right, it's a great reason to get together. But the WHERE doesn't matter. Does it make sense to spend a bunch of money (entry fee, facility rental, etc) for a simple gathering? That's why it's been asked whether they're on a trip or if they're local.

If they're local, I'd say you either have it at the home, or common area of an apartment complex. If those aren't available, find a shelter at a nearby park.

My son’s first birthday was at a park. We had all his cousins and one of my friends. I wanted to let him open gifts at home but my husband was against that. There were so many gifts because we come from big families.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

We don’t live in Orlando. Staying at The Yacht Club. I would love to do it there but I don’t think it’s possible, right? I don’t think they’ll let me have that many visitors.

Aftendees are all family. Aunts, uncles and cousins. No grandparents. I’m thinking it’s probably best to keep it indoors unless there’s an outdoor spot with some breeziness.

We don’t live in Orlando. Staying at The Yacht Club. I would love to do it there but I don’t think it’s possible, right? I don’t think they’ll let me have that many visitors.

Aftendees are all family. Aunts, uncles and cousins. No grandparents. I’m thinking it’s probably best to keep it indoors unless there’s an outdoor spot with some breeziness.
Check into some local pizza places and see if they have "party rooms." They usually don't cost anything but the cost of the pizza you buy.

Why not reach out to them and ask? The worst they can say is "no".
Does everyone have transportation? A nearby park maybe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter