Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

I used to wish people a happy birthday when I saw that they were wearing a birthday button. These are the responses I got more often than not....

1. "It's not my birthday, it's in August or May or whatever"
2. Strange looks from people, who say "it's not my birthday"
3. Laughter, then the response, "it's not really my birthday you know"
4. Embarrassed mumbling, "not my birthday, just hoping for something free"

The birthday button says Happy Birthday with your name underneath. If someone says, "Hey Bob, or Tim or Mike (whatever your name is) happy birthday!! Be gracious enough to smile kindly and say thank you, even if it's not your birthday!
I started going to WDW when this was the button:

disney-birthday-button.jpg

I used really enjoy wishing people "Happy Birthday!" knowing how cool it was to spend your birthday at a Disney park. The thought never even crossed my mind that it wasn't someone's birthday. I stopped once I realized that the vast majority of times it was NOT their birthday. I felt like a complete fool. It was kind of a let down for me since I really enjoyed feeling part of someone's birthday ... their UN-birthday not so much.

Bottom line, Disney wants you to "Celebrate" what ever the heck you want as long as you use that celebration to rationalize an expensive trip to one of their parks. They know a cheerful "Happy Birthday" from a CM to an entire family of birthday button wearers doesn't cost them a thing and even the cost of a dozen free cupcakes is a drop in the bucket compared to how much that family paid for their joint birthday celebration.

I started going to WDW when this was the button:

disney-birthday-button.jpg

I used really enjoy wishing people "Happy Birthday!" knowing how cool it was to spend your birthday at a Disney park. The thought never even crossed my mind that it wasn't someone's birthday. I stopped once I realized that the vast majority of times it was NOT their birthday. I felt like a complete fool. It was kind of a let down for me since I really enjoyed feeling part of someone's birthday ... their UN-birthday not so much.

Bottom line, Disney wants you to "Celebrate" what ever the heck you want as long as you use that celebration to rationalize an expensive trip to one of their parks. They know a cheerful "Happy Birthday" from a CM to an entire family of birthday button wearers doesn't cost them a thing and even the cost of a dozen free cupcakes is a drop in the bucket compared to how much that family paid for their joint birthday celebration.

I've never seen one of those buttons. I wish they would bring a button like that back for people that were really having a birthday on that particular day. Then people could continue to wear the regular happy birthday buttons or I'm celebrating buttons.

I've never seen one of those buttons. I wish they would bring a button like that back for people that were really having a birthday on that particular day. Then people could continue to wear the regular happy birthday buttons or I'm celebrating buttons.
We celebrate birthdays on the day so I write the date on it so people know it really is my DD's birthday. We have not been for my birthday or my DH's birthday since the new buttons came out.

We celebrate birthdays on the day so I write the date on it so people know it really is my DD's birthday. We have not been for my birthday or my DH's birthday since the new buttons came out.

Good idea, writing the birthday date on your button. :goodvibes

As a society we celebrate certain things because of a specific date. New Years day is New Years Day. Christmas Day is Christmas Day. Your birthday is your birthday. Your wedding anniversary is your wedding anniversary.

So you never go to a Christmas party unless it is actually on Christmas day?. Not to mention the fact that most scholars agree that it wasn't actually wintertime when he was born so we don't ACTUALLY celebrate this guy's birthday on the actual day of his birth (now that.... is irony given the topic).

My wedding anniversary is actually Halloween. We celebrate the holiday with the children and then celebrate our anniversary the day before or after. Actually, this year we are going to the Witch's Ball, which is on the 19th, so not even near it.

Stacy

When we were recently checking in at the CSR, the CM said I see someone is having a birthday. It was 2 days away during our stay. He made out a birthday pin for my DD and told her to wear it throughout our stay. Although she did not, a CM told her so. The rest of us got a "we're celebrating" pin.

I get that Disney is abt celebrating and others can't be at Disney on their bday but for those that can be there on their bday they should bring back the pin that says today is my bday. We are taking our DD on her 4th bday and I have spent 1 year of planning/researching to make her day super special. Pretty sad to read about those that fibbed to get a free cupcake at Chef Mickeys. I do think that those that can't be there on the exact day get a pin too but maybe the current one saying I am celebrating my bday.

When I go to Disney it's usually a month or 2 after my birthday. It never occurs to me to get a button. Why? Because its not my birthday, it's just a vacation. When do you draw the line, one months 6 months? You don't HAVE to celebrate a birthday in Disney. I grew up going to WDW and never once celebrated my birthday there. Would you have a party 2 months after you birthday? Or give someone a gift 3 months after? What's makes birthday buttons sooo special? The attention? Does it have that much affect on your trip as to whether it is a birthday trip or just a family vacation? I would feel weird if someone wished me a happy birthday when it wasn't. I guess to me it feels deceptive in a way.

I spend about 4 months a year 3 miles from World Dr., since we have a house here. I've never gotten a birthday button, but I will in Sep. even though my birthday was a week or two ago. We were to be down there, I had reservations for BOG on my birthday. I fell and broke my ankle and had other injuries a few days before we were to leave, and can't travel. I'm determined if I can be lucky enough to get a reservation again, and be able to navigate the parks, then I'm celebrating my birthday.

PS know you can rent ECVs, but my eyesight doesn't permit driving one. If I could drive one I'd have bought one by now, truthfully.My hubby is disabled and he can't push me as far as is required at the parks. We did buy a wheelchair and that should be good for him to get me from the handicapped spot into a restaurant, or a small shop, just to get out of the house here.

When I go to Disney it's usually a month or 2 after my birthday. It never occurs to me to get a button. Why? Because its not my birthday, it's just a vacation. When do you draw the line, one months 6 months? You don't HAVE to celebrate a birthday in Disney.

Maybe this September you see a kiddo or two with a birthday pin and you wonder whether to wish them well or maybe they are just trying to get free stuff.

Maybe that little boy or girl (or both) had their birthdays already. Maybe in August and May. Maybe they had to wait that extra month or three for their mommy or daddy to get home from some far away desert they don't understand. Sure, they don't "HAVE" to celebrate their birthdays in Disney... but why shouldn't they?

You know what? ... Maybe they are decked in fraudulent pins so they can get a free muffin or whatever on that $6000 vacation. I have a hard time telling the difference just by looking but either way, if a kid is smiling I don't really give a damn.

Of all the things in this world to spend my precious time worrying about, whether I might inadvertently wish someone a happy Disney birthday on the wrong flipping day in not something I'm willing to do.

I've never gotten a birthday button, but I will in Sep. even though my birthday was a week or two ago. We were to be down there, I had reservations for BOG on my birthday. I fell and broke my ankle [...]. I'm determined if I can be lucky enough to get a reservation again, and be able to navigate the parks, then I'm celebrating my birthday.

Tink, We'll be there Sept 19-29 (ish). If your plans coincide I'm pretty sure we could add 2 places to our BoG if you can't get a fresh reservation.

Maybe this September you see a kiddo or two with a birthday pin and you wonder whether to wish them well or maybe they are just trying to get free stuff.

Maybe that little boy or girl (or both) had their birthdays already. Maybe in August and May. Maybe they had to wait that extra month or three for their mommy or daddy to get home from some far away desert they don't understand. Sure, they don't "HAVE" to celebrate their birthdays in Disney... but why shouldn't they?

You know what? ... Maybe they are decked in fraudulent pins so they can get a free muffin or whatever on that $6000 vacation. I have a hard time telling the difference just by looking but either way, if a kid is smiling I don't really give a damn.

Of all the things in this world to spend my precious time worrying about, whether I might inadvertently wish someone a happy Disney birthday on the wrong flipping day in not something I'm willing to do.

Why shouldn't they? Because you don't always get what you want. If its not your birthday, then it's just a family vacation. You can get celebration buttons for anything, so why not get a celebrating family button? What about the other people in the party? Do they wear birthday buttons? They have a birthday at some point during the year.

When I go to Disney it's usually a month or 2 after my birthday. It never occurs to me to get a button. Why? Because its not my birthday, it's just a vacation. When do you draw the line, one months 6 months? You don't HAVE to celebrate a birthday in Disney. I grew up going to WDW and never once celebrated my birthday there. Would you have a party 2 months after you birthday? Or give someone a gift 3 months after? What's makes birthday buttons sooo special? The attention? Does it have that much affect on your trip as to whether it is a birthday trip or just a family vacation? I would feel weird if someone wished me a happy birthday when it wasn't. I guess to me it feels deceptive in a way.

No one HAS to do anything. People get to do what they WANT to do.You get to do what you are comfortable with but you do not get to decide how anyone else celebrates a special day. Your premise is that because you do not or would not do something, it is not appropriate for anyone else.I think that if someone's vacation is in honor of something special there is no reason not to celebrate even if that date does not coincide with someone elses comfort level.

Why shouldn't they? Because you don't always get what you want. If its not your birthday, then it's just a family vacation. You can get celebration buttons for anything, so why not get a celebrating family button? What about the other people in the party? Do they wear birthday buttons? They have a birthday at some point during the year.

My goodness! You begrudge the words on a button??????? Thank goodness you don't control those magical trips that our returning service members enjoy. You have absolutely no idea how many birthdays and anniversaries are postponed becasue unless the entire family is together, they wait. According to you, they missed it and they don't always get what they want, so get a generic button that lumps it all together so as not to be "deceptive". :confused3

Tink, We'll be there Sept 19-29 (ish). If your plans coincide I'm pretty sure we could add 2 places to our BoG if you can't get a fresh reservation.

You are SO kind, I really appreciate the offer, but it could be months before I find out if I can go. I'm hoping now to avoid surgery. You are a disboard angel :)

and this is the beauty of the internet... where else can you find a bunch of adults ranting about how unfair it is that someone might want to celebrate his/her birthday on a different calendar day?
Last year I inadvertently found a great way to be wished happy birthday by many different people. I had to have some medical tests on my birthday and everytime they verified my ID they saw it was my birthday and wished me a happy birthday.

and this is the beauty of the internet... where else can you find a bunch of adults ranting about how unfair it is that someone might want to celebrate his/her birthday on a different calendar day?
Last year I inadvertently found a great way to be wished happy birthday by many different people. I had to have some medical tests on my birthday and everytime they verified my ID they saw it was my birthday and wished me a happy birthday.

I feel for you Bronxgirl. A belated Happy Birthday from a fellow New Yorker. It is times like those, that birthday pins can be put in perspective IMO.

I feel for you Bronxgirl. A belated Happy Birthday from a fellow New Yorker. It is times like those, that birthday pins can be put in perspective IMO.

Thanks, Tink. My current trip is 2 weeks before my 40th birthday. I will proudly wear my birthday pin and anyone who has a problem with that can suck it. :-) TBH, the original reason for the trip was to cheer me up after something disappointing, but they don't have "I'm grieving" buttons, so I feel my birthday button is quite justified.

I'd like to point out that DH and I actually asked when we added a celebration to our reservation what timeframe around your birthday/anniversary/etc you could request a button. The answer we got was "as long as your celebration is within six months you can get a button" to me that translates to "you may celebrate your birthday/anniversary/etc whenever you want to at Disney and we don't care". And I've read posts about other people getting similar responses. If Disney doesn't mind, why should anyone else?

I get that Disney is abt celebrating and others can't be at Disney on their bday but for those that can be there on their bday they should bring back the pin that says today is my bday. We are taking our DD on her 4th bday and I have spent 1 year of planning/researching to make her day super special. Pretty sad to read about those that fibbed to get a free cupcake at Chef Mickeys. I do think that those that can't be there on the exact day get a pin too but maybe the current one saying I am celebrating my bday.
Don't worry! Your DD's birthday will be extra special. Everyone will gush over a 4-year old.

What about people that have birthday parties on days other than their birthday because their birthday is on an inconvenient day? Are they liars too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter