Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

A few years back (2009), H and I went to DLR and our trip literally landed in the middle of our birthdays (they are exactly a week apart). We were there for three days. We both got birthday buttons and wore them on different days (but just one day). Other than a lot of "Happy Birthdays" we didn't get anything "special", but that's totally fine. It was fun having a birthday at Disney, regardless.

This fall, we're taking our 2 year old son at Halloween-time (his birthday is in November). We're planning on celebrating his birthday ONE day while we're there. We're also planning to celebrate our anniversary ONE day while we're there (our anniversary is right before we go). Are either of those evens on the exact day? Nope, but I don't really care. We're forgoing big celebrations for both of those events to save money for our trip and so we're celebrating the trip while we're there.

I like having the birthday pin on all of my trip, it makes you feel really special when people wish you a happy birthday, and it's not just cast memebers

I must be really weird. In 2010, I planned a split trip between WDW and the dark side and the way the trip came out, I would be at USO on my actual birthday so I did not get a birthday button during our 5 days at WDW. I actually believed that in order to get a button, I would have to show ID with my actual birthday on it. I guess not. The trip cost me over $6500 (more than one person) between the two parks and hotels and I didn't even get a Disney celebration button because I am a moron and an idiot and (add derogatory description here).

So, one day after WDW, staying onsite at USO, they don't actually care if I am celebrating anything. I really thought I would have gotten a similar perk on the dark side. No? Well, I did what I could. I got a slice of banana cream pie at Emeril's at USO (I don't like cake and my mom would make me banana cream pie and put candles in it for my birthday). I told the staff my story and they sang "Happy Birthday"

Live and learn.

All three of my sons birthdays are during our trip:) Where do we get the Birthday pin?

If you're staying onsite you can request a button when you check in to your hotel. If not I believe you can go to guest services in the parks and request one. If you are staying onsite I'd call WDW Vacations and add the birthday celebration note to your reservation.

The dad was furious and the kids looked mortified, but after it was over, the mom said, "see it wasn't such a big deal and if everyone else can lie about their birthdays to get free stuff, why shouldn't we get free stuff too".:(

I think the most ridiculous part is that she scored a "free" generic cupcake..at a BUFFET...that she paid $50 for. Stick it to the man, lady! :rolleyes:

I'm also in the "wear a button on the actual day of your birthday only" camp, especially for adults unless you have some kind of of Oprah-worthy story about why you just HAD to celebrate today. I don't see why kids (or anyone, really) would be terribly traumatized by understanding the fundamental truth that sometimes you're at Disney for your birthday and sometimes you're not. The consolation prize isn't too bad, given you're still at Disney!

I disagree with the idea that you should only wear your button on your actually birthday. Not everybody can take a vacation on the exact day of their birth! I arrived at WDW two days after my birthday last year. It was a gift to myself, as I wanted to celebrate my birthday by myself at Disney World. I wore my button every day of my trip, and loved every moment of it. The CMs made my (very expensive) birthday celebration extremely special, and I don't think I should feel bad about that. I wasn't looking for or expecting any handouts, either. I got a few free desserts, and pulled to the front of a few lines, but each time it was a very pleasant surprise, and nothing that I expected.

I'm sure there are people that lie about celebrations to get free stuff...people lie all the time. It sucks, and it's greedy, but unfortunately that won't ever change. It's a fact of life.

. Not everybody can take a vacation on the exact day of their birth!

That is what used to make wearing the button special! The fact that not everyone can go to WDW on their birthday!

Now it is more "Look, yet another tourist who has decided today is their birthday, so they can get attention and goodies. Yay." All special-ness is gone because people have decided they or their child need attention and maybe a free cupcake or two.

It may be a fact that some people are greedy, but that doesn't mean I will choose to be greedy too.

maxiesmom said:
That is what used to make wearing the button special! The fact that not everyone can go to WDW on their birthday!
All special-ness is gone because people have decided they or their child need attention and maybe a free cupcake or two.

Wow. I am not sure if you understand how elitist that sounded.

Our daughter's birthday is in May, our son's is in August. We go in September and celebrate their birthdays because it is not possible to do so on both their birthdays.

I will not begrudge them the opportunity to celebrate because that is why we are there.

ETA: Both of the children when we went last year were quick to point out their actual birthdays. Even when we were given the buttons we were asked what we were celebrating, not if that day was their birthday.

Stacy

All special-ness is gone? LOL you must spend your entire vacation looking for celebration buttons and following them around to see what they're getting "for free". Honestly, that is ridiculous. I never even notice people's buttons except to wish them a Happy Birthday or a Congratulations...as a polite and happy person should.

Methinks some of you should try minding your own business and you might enjoy your trips more. :sad2:

Wow. I am not sure if you understand how elitist that sounded.

Our daughter's birthday is in May, our son's is in August. We go in September and celebrate their birthdays because it is not possible to do so on both their birthdays.

I will not begrudge them the opportunity to celebrate because that is why we are there.

ETA: Both of the children when we went last year were quick to point out their actual birthdays. Even when we were given the buttons we were asked what we were celebrating, not if that day was their birthday.

Stacy

Not sure what being in the park on your actual birthday has to do with social standing. Either it is your birthday or it is not. Claiming it iks your birthday when it is not is wrong imho..

We could never be in the parks on the kid's actal birthday. I would never dream of saying it was their birthday when it wasn't, especially to garner attention or perks. As I said it takes away from it being special.

Not sure what being in the park on your actual birthday has to do with social standing. Either it is your birthday or it is not. Claiming it iks your birthday when it is not is wrong imho..

We could never be in the parks on the kid's actual birthday. I would never dream of saying it was their birthday when it wasn't, especially to garner attention or perks. As I said it takes away from it being special.

People celebrate whatever they want to celebrate. Disney encourages celebration. I can not understand why anyone would want to negate a special event because a schedule cannot accommodate a "date". The celebration is no less special to that person. If you don't want to celebrate anything on anything other than an actual date that is your prerogative, but it is not wrong for others if they choose otherwise.

I'll be going to WDW in 2014 to celebrate my 40th...a month or two after the fact. I can't take more than one day of vacation in my birthday month due to work commitments. I probably won't wear a button because I don't typically like that kind of attention, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you are really taking a special trip for that purpose.

This year we are taking our first trip to WDW. 28 days before our trip is my 25th wedding anniversary, 6 days before the trip is my birthday, 9 days after our trip is my son's birthday. We do consider our trip to be a celebration of all three for our family, but I do not plan to get celebratory buttons from Disney. We will just celebrate it as us.

People celebrate whatever they want to celebrate. Disney encourages celebration. I can not understand why anyone would want to negate a special event because a schedule cannot accommodate a "date".

As a society we celebrate certain things because of a specific date. New Years day is New Years Day. Christmas Day is Christmas Day. Your birthday is your birthday. Your wedding anniversary is your wedding anniversary.

Like Alice in Wonderland, most of us get that if we celebrate something all of the time (Happy Un-Birthday!), it makes it less special. Now do I go through the parks looking for buttons? Nope. Do I think the world is going to tip off of its axis because some folks celebrate their birthday 6 months after the fact? Nope. But I do indeed think doing so diminishes the feel of the real thing.

I may think one way, but that doesn't mean I am going about the park accosting others who do things in a different way.

maxiesmom said:

We could never be in the parks on the kid's actal birthday. I would never dream of saying it was their birthday when it wasn't, especially to garner attention or perks. As I said it takes away from it being special.

Because they do not ask if it is your birthday. They ask what you are celebrating. If they ask if it is their birthday we certainly don't lie and say yes. We say "no, his birthday was in August".

Stacy

Because they do not ask if it is your birthday. They ask what you are celebrating. If they ask if it is their birthday we certainly don't lie and say yes. We say "no, his birthday was in August".

Stacy

If people are truly celebrating their birthday but it's not their birthday, well that's fine by me. Personally our family would only wear a birthday button if it was really someone's birthday.

I guess this is the part that bothers me.
I used to wish people a happy birthday when I saw that they were wearing a birthday button. These are the responses I got more often than not....

1. "It's not my birthday, it's in August or May or whatever"
2. Strange looks from people, who say "it's not my birthday"
3. Laughter, then the response, "it's not really my birthday you know"
4. Embarrassed mumbling, "not my birthday, just hoping for something free"

The birthday button says Happy Birthday with your name underneath. If someone says, "Hey Bob, or Tim or Mike (whatever your name is) happy birthday!! Be gracious enough to smile kindly and say thank you, even if it's not your birthday!

Did you know the cruise ships give the, put as well I learned when I went to guest services on the ship to get my ID back along with a button

Like Alice in Wonderland, most of us get that if we celebrate something all of the time (Happy Un-Birthday!), it makes it less special. Now do I go through the parks looking for buttons? Nope. Do I think the world is going to tip off of its axis because some folks celebrate their birthday 6 months after the fact? Nope. But I do indeed think doing so diminishes the feel of the real thing.

It diminishes it to you. That may not be the case for others. So if the idea of celebrating on any other that the appointed day diminishes the event, then I respect that. i just do not see anything gained by saying that others should not do so. Now I understand that you have not done that, but many others have. Disney encourages guests to make their celebrations happen within their resorts and parks for a reason. And while that reason probably centers around a healthy return, the additional result is that many people are happy that they are celebrating a happy occasion in THe Happiest Place on earth. I see no harm done.

Stacy

:wizard: Yup!

Disney has celebration buttons. I have gotten the celebration buttons for my kids and wrote "celebrating a July, etc birthday". But I would nvr get a bday button for myself or my kids unless their bday happens to fall on the week we are at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter