Beyond Recovery: Christin's journal of progress (comments welcome)

Christin, the video was great! You've put a lot of hard work into it.

Apparently, we think alike. I had nachos yesterday too. I was going to pick up Taco Salads for us & was just too tired by the end of the day. I gathered up some shredded cheese, lime tortilla chips & salsa that I had around the house. You did much better than I did with dessert. I had choc ice cream. Those Skinny Cows are great! Today after lunch I ate my mocha bar & decided its just as good as the ice cream.

Weekend report:

Well, I seem to be running in place lately. I'm alternating good days and bad days with eating, so I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Hopefully, since I got to the store this weekend and made some menus, I'll be better this week.

Breakfast on both days was hashbrowns and sausage rolls; yummy, but not great in terms of carbs.

Sat. lunch was salad, Sun. was leftover soup.

Sat dinner- summer soup w/ ww crusty bread dipped in olive oil.
Sun dinner- paella (sausage, rice, black beans, and corn) w/ a spinach salad.

OK- so I'm really over doing it on the carbs...and I've been craving sweets like crazy! I had two skinny cows yesterday instead on the 1 I'm suppose to allow myself.

I just need to get back in control; just a couple better choices should make all the difference.

Here's one reason why I think I've been loading up the carbs: They are cheap!!! I'm amazed at how much groceries have gone up this month! Not that I'm surprised with gas prices, but holy moly! With everything going up, my DH and I are really starting to feel the pinch. So, I've been gravitating toward dishes that make a lot of leftovers for lunches and such (like soup and paella). I guess if this is the direction I'm going, I need to make a concerted effort to limit portion sizes, and go for more beans over rice (more protein). But for sure, we aren't going to be able to afford the same amount of fresh veggies and fruits that we had this summer.

Exercise this weekend was fine: Curves on Sat (40 min, plus 5 on legs) and day off on Sunday. Today I'm staying home to finish lesson plans, so I'll try to make it to the pool for laps. DH is at work all day, so lunch and dinner will be leftovers.

I finally got a chance to view your video today. It was very interesting! I really enjoyed watching it and I was impressed by the number of diverse ideas/concepts you were able to bring together under the same theme.

It must be interesting living without a sense of place. I've lived in the Chicago area since I was a small child, and the family has for 4 generations. I have a very deep love for my hometown and its ideals and culture. It's so much a part of me that I can't imagine thinking of anywhere else as "home" or ever being anything but a Chicagoan. I wonder what it's like to live as a geographical "free agent"--I can imagine the sense of possibility is quite uplifting.

Very well done!

P.S. I like your house!

pearlieq- thanks for watching- great comments! I loved Chicago (well, Evanston) while I was at Northwestern for my masters...it's such a great city, full of history. I'm hoping on our next move, we find someplace like Chicago to call home.

Monday- better...
B- ww english muffin w/ PB and 1/2 a banana
L- left-over paella, and some ww french bread w/ olive oil
S- one of those 100 cal. snack packs, peanut butter cookies
D- last of the left-over soup, spinach salad w/ homemade croutons
S- 1 skinny cow

(I should have just gone with one sweet treat, instead of two, and should have passed on the french bread at lunch since I was having rice, but I've just been to hungry lately...more than usual, not sure why...)

Swam laps at the pool 40 minutes (it's nice and cool now that the evenings are cooler)

Today is teaching day, so I'll be packing my lunch and dinner. I've got the stuff for another salad, and a small serving of the leftover paella. Plus I'll pack an apple and some celery. Hopefully that will take care of it!

Tuesday:
B- ww english muffin w/ PB and banana
S- celery w/ laughing cow cheese
L- left-over paella (that's gone now)
S- and iced coffee and some energy bar I got from Curves...200 calories, but it helped me get through my evening seminar.
D- 1/2 a Moe's steak burrito, w/o the tortilla, some chips and cheese...this could have been a lot worse, but I made my DH help me eat the buritto and nixed the tortilla. It's hard to eat so late when I get out of class at 8:00 pm. I'm just so hungry by that time!

Exercise- Curves 40 minutes plus 5 on abs.

So, all in all, pretty good.

I'm not sure what the next few days will bring. My mom called by DH last night while I was teaching and let us know that my grandfather is in the hospital with heart trouble. My dad flew into Dallas last night, so I should be able to talk to someone soon (I'm just sort of bidding my time this morning). I might be in my car by noon on my way up to Sherman...just not sure.

In the meanwhile, I've got grading to do. Hope everyone has a good day!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope that things end up okay and that he can make it through this. You and your family have my prayers and thoughts!!!! :grouphug:

Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

Christin, I hope your grandfather is doing better. Sending prayers & pixie dust your way!

Thanks Jane and Chris.

I'm back with good news. He's fine; apparently, one of the wires on his pace-maker came loose and it caused some problems with one of his arteries. They had surgery today and put in some stints, and he seems to be doing great. I'm going to drive up on Friday and visit for a day with him and my dad. What a relief!

My other good news for the day is that I just weighed in at Curves and...I'm at 199! Onederland!!! :) It took long enough, but here I am! I saw 199.5 last week, but I wanted to be sure before I made the official report (well, as official as the DIS WISH boards are ;) ).

AAAAHHHH!!! ONEDERLAND!!! Congrats to you! You must be thrilled!!! :cool1: :Pinkbounc :banana: :cheer2:

I'm so sorry to hear of your grandpa, but it sounds like things are looking up there.

Have a great night!

Thanks, pearlieq. :)

Wednesday:
B- english muffin w/ PB and a small bananna
L- turkey ham sandwich on ww bread and spinach
S- skinny cow ice cream
S- few slices of swiss cheese
D- homemade chicken pot pie (a request from DH) and a small salad w/ lite Italian dressing.
And, hooray, no snacking after dinner!

Exercise- Curves 35 minutes (concentrateding on cardio) plus 5 on abs. I didn't get to the gym with my friend today since I stayed home to be by the phone and such. I'll get back to the elliptical trainer next week.

Today is a class day for me, so less work done, plus I'll be packing to go to Sherman tonight. But, hopefully, I'll keep things on track with my eating and get a couple of hours of writing in.

I'm glad to hear that your grandpa is doing okay. What a scare!
I've been thinking of you when I go to Curves trying to figure out what I should be concentrating on. I've definately stepped it up when it comes to the cardio part of the workout and can feel the difference. Thanks for inspiring me!

~Amanda

Thank God your grandpa is doing better. What a scare! I bet you can't wait to visit him on Friday.

Congrats on being in the 190s!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Do you watch The Biggest Loser? There were three women who dipped below 200. Thats a big milestone!

Thanks Jane and Amanda- yes, I can't wait to see him! This was really an eye-opener for me. My immediate family lives in TN and since I'm in Austin, I'm the closest to my grandfather (only a 4 hour drive). But, I've been so busy with school and teaching, that it's been over a year since I've visited....that's crazy! Even though school is important, I need to keep reminding myself that family is a priority and MAKE the time.

I wish I could watch the Biggest Loser, but my class is on Tues. nights. I watched some of the episodes last year, and it was really motivational.

BTW- to anyone who is reading, the new chicken parmesan sandwich at Subway isn't that great...definitely not worth the extra calories. Yuk!

Thurs.-
B- ww english muffin w/ PB and jelly
L- Subway chicken parm. sandwich (yuk)
S- chicken nachos (out shopping with DH)
D- ww penne w/ vodka sauce and green beans
S- skinny cow ice-cream

No exercise

Off to Sherman overnight. Packing a sandwich so I don't buy junk on the drive. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

So glad to hear your grandfather is doing better!! I have been to Sherman several times. My former job was with Red Simpson and they had an office in Sherman. Small World.

:cheer2: :cheer2: ONDERLAND!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:
Good for you. Never look back!!!

Back from Sherman. My grandfather looked great when I left him; his major concern was getting home in time to watch the Texas/OU game, so I think the road to recovery is well underway.

Anyway, back to my program, after a bit of a derailment. I dropped exercise the 2nd half of last week, so I'll be back at the gym tomorrow. I need some endorphins to kick in to get rid of my recent gloominess.

Yesterday was off-track with eating, a combination of travel and a last-minute gathering of friends, but today was back on track.

Sunday-
B- ww toast, low-fat sausage, and a small serving of hash browns
L- turkey roll-up w/ fruit and a small soft serve at Jason's Deli
D- homemade tortilla soup (made by DH- yummy!)
S- skinny cow ice-cream

I'm going to try to meet with my advisor tomorrow; I think I might have hit on a writing schedule that would keep me on track for a May graduation. The stakes for finishing just jumped since I saw a job posting in Atlanta! 5 hour drive from my parents, 7 hour drive to WDW!!! Plus, it is a small liberal arts school where I could focus on my teaching! Anyway, wish me luck convincing my advisor!

Monday-
L- tortilla soup (leftover)
S- milkshake (oops...no good snacks in the house and I was so hungry on my way home from school)
D- pasta w/ left-over vodka sauce and creamed spinach
S- skinny cow icecream (didn't need that after the milk shake)

Exercise- 30 min on elliptical trainer

Tuesday-
B- same
L- last of the tortilla soup
S- iced-coffee and a pecan bar (hopped up on sugar again)
D- chicken strips salad after class

Exercise- Curves 40 minutes

I'm in a bit of a funk this week; the meeting with my advisor on Mon. left me decidedly underwhelmed. She listened to my plan to finish by May, but said she was skeptical...she wants me to delay another semester so I can try to publish an article in the Spring. I just feel so stuck....I really would like to apply for this job in Atlanta for Sept., but I need her recommendation to get it...so I just feel so stuck and incredibly unmotivated. Unfortunatly, when I'm in this mood, I starting falling back on sugar, thus the milkshake and pecan bar of the last few days.

Maybe I'll just give up for the day and go to the mall or a movie.

I'm so glad to hear that your grandfather is much better! I bet he can't wait until he's back home!

That tortilla soup sounds good. I've never made it but I have a recipe for it. We're having chix fajitas tomorrow so I may take the leftovers and throw it all in a big soup bowl for Saturday's lunch. Thanks for the idea!

Sorry to hear that your advisor isn't cooperating. Thats so disapointing especially with a job possibility in Atlanta. I hope that things work out for you.

Thanks for the warning about Subway's sandwich. It looks so good on TV! Now, I won't even be tempted.

I'm so glad to hear your grandpa's on the mend and that you had a good trip up there!

What an exciting opportunity in Atlanta! I really hope your advisor cooperates with you--you'd be such an asset to any school lucky enough to lure you on to their faculty! Sending lots of :wizard: your way.

I'm sorry this has been kind of a down week for you. I wish I had words of wisdom, but as you know, I'm down there with you. Thank you so much for the support and kind words. It really means a lot for me. I hope you can shake it off soon. I think you're absolutely right that the endorphins from exercise will help out a lot. Nothing like nature's narcotics, is there? :teeth:

Hang in and I hope you have a wonderful day!

wednesday-
S- iced coffee and blue berry muffin
L- grilled chicken sandwich and french fries (trapped on campus with no food, today so I made some bad choices)
D- french dip beef sandwiches (beef from crockpot) and a salad. I used a ww bun, but I'm really killing myself on bread lately
S- skinny cow ice cream

Exercise (the only redeming point of the day)- 30 minutes elliptical trainer

Thursday:
B- some sausage roles we picked up at the store
S- banana
L- (ate way too late at 2:00) 1/2 a Quizno's smoked turkey sandwich (it was so expensive and not very tasty at all! $6.50 for a crappy sandwich isn't something I'll be repeating soon.)
D- Greek chicken and potatoes, salad.
S- a few chocolate covered pretzels

Exercise: Curves 40 minutes

Well, I'm killing myself on the carbs and sugar, primarily because I don't have the right stuff in the house. My biggest challenge is having good food that will travel with me, both on writing days while I'm in my office or on teaching days when I'm traveling back and forth to San Marcos.

I was talking with a woman at Curves yesterday, and she also mentioned that I might not be eating enough at the right intervals. If I go 3-4 hours without eating, my body will try to hold on to everything because it doesn't know when it's getting food again, and that compared with my amped up exercise routine is not the best combination.

So, I'm going to make time to hit the grocery today and pick up the right kind of snacks. I took the day off from my office because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. If my advisor isn't going to give me the support I need right now, then I need to find it in myself.

I just feel so stuck right now...stuck in the same body with little progress to show lately and stuck in the same cycle of teaching and writing without moving forward. This degree has taken a huge chunk of my life; and if I stick to my advisor's schedule, it will take even one more year. Not to mention the huge clock now ticking in my head saying that I've got about 3-4 years left if I'm going to start a family.

Ok- enough babbling. I need to get to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter