BEWARE! Theft at Saratoga Springs Resort

Unless you know for certain.....We should not be blaming the housekeeping staff! The OP was guesing/assuming it was housecleaning. It could have been a left open door, a stolen key from staff, a mistaken card key to another guest who took advantage of a situation.

I heard that there have been several burglaries recently. The suspect was caught on a surveillance camera so they know who to look for. The perpetrator was dressed in a Mickey Mouse costume. ::MickeyMo

Problem is there have been sightings all over the place. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Local authorities fear that it might be some kind of gang. :rotfl2:

I am sorry for the OPs loss and my post is not meant to offend them.

Does anybody have a photo of the safe at the BCVs?

I heard that there have been several burglaries recently. The suspect was caught on a surveillance camera so they know who to look for. The perpetrator was dressed in a Mickey Mouse costume. ::MickeyMo

Problem is there have been sightings all over the place. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Local authorities fear that it might be some kind of gang. :rotfl2:

I am sorry for the OPs loss and my post is not meant to offend them.

Disney has hidden cameras, D knows at all times who is coming in and out of these rooms by number. With that said I cannot imagine that they cannot find the perpetrator if it was within house.

No I cannot! But are you prepared to leave your precious belonging now that you know it can be a potential problem. I would guess no.

I would never leave a anything of value in a hotel room or car. We use the safe or lock items up. I never assume that any situation is safe or secure. The OP was foolish to leave such valuable stuff laying around, in plain view, that apparently was taken by someone.

My point to you was just not be so quick blame a particilar group of employees.

I would never leave a anything of value in a hotel room or car. We use the safe or lock items up. I never assume that any situation is safe or secure. The OP was foolish to leave such valuable stuff laying around, in plain view, that apparently was taken by someone.

My point to you was just not be so quick blame a ]articilar group of employees.[/QUOTE

With your quote said you are saying that you will not get anything stolen because you are locking it down. Obviously that means you do not trust anything. So why bash the OP?

With your quote said you are saying that you will not get anything stolen because you are locking it down. Obviously that means you do not trust anything. So why bash the OP?

That is correct, I do not ever trust leaving valables out when I am on vacation. For someone to assume they are safe is obvious a foolish position. People are oppertunistic by nature, given the chance, most (not all) will take advantage.

Again, for the third time, no one should be blaming the housekeeping staff for the thefts. We do not know who committed the crime.

We never take anything of value that won't fit into the rm safe.DW stop carry a purse a couple of yrs ago when we go to any resort or hotel.But I did leave my phone charger in the rm at SSR and when we got home i called to see if mouse keeping had turned it in.They had and I received it fed-x 3days later.So don't be to quick to blame any one group.

we just got back from saratoga, and had something strange happen while we were there. wife and i were coming back to the room, and saw a lady from housekeeping just kinda wandering around with a towel over her head. we just thought "well, it is kinda hot today". a little while later, after we got to our room, we had a knock at the door, and it was the same lady from housekeeping bringing us our fresh towels, as it was that day for us. we told her that we were not ready for someone to come in the room, as my wife was just getting out of the shower. she seemed to be very insistant about coming in, but we finally just got our towels and gave the old ones out. it was the same lady we saw earlier.

so my wife leaves, and goes shopping, and i was going to take a shower. from the bathroom, i hear the door close, and i call out to see if my wife had forgotten something, but i hear a womans voice saying it was housekeeping. no knock on the door or anything, just came right on in. i shouted that we had already exchanged the towels, but she had to use our phone to call in the fact that she had done it. dont know if that is common procedure or not, she wasnt in the room long enough to make a phone call, as i heard her exit just seconds afterward. lemme know if this sounds familiar.

I agree with those who caution against making judgements solely on the basis of a few internet posts. The detective business would be mighty easy if simply reading a paragraph of two on the net yielded the solution to crimes. However, the prudent person doesn't rule out any possible culprits either.

But to be fair, "innocent until proven guilty" is a standard required by a court of law, but no such standard exists in the court of public opinion. Here on the DIS we're all free to leap to the most fantastic conclusions based on the flimsiest of evidence any time we wish. Since our opinions carry no real weight, it doesn't matter whether we are right or wrong.

The OP, if he had it to do over again, I'm sure would take a few more minutes to properly secure valuables before leaving the room. So our "you shoulda-s, you coulda-s, or I woulda-s" have no real value to him. But for anyone reading this thread, there is much value if the hard-learned lesson of a fellow DVC member and DIS poster is heeded.

we just got back from saratoga, and had something strange happen while we were there. wife and i were coming back to the room, and saw a lady from housekeeping just kinda wandering around with a towel over her head. we just thought "well, it is kinda hot today". a little while later, after we got to our room, we had a knock at the door, and it was the same lady from housekeeping bringing us our fresh towels, as it was that day for us. we told her that we were not ready for someone to come in the room, as my wife was just getting out of the shower. she seemed to be very insistant about coming in, but we finally just got our towels and gave the old ones out. it was the same lady we saw earlier.

so my wife leaves, and goes shopping, and i was going to take a shower. from the bathroom, i hear the door close, and i call out to see if my wife had forgotten something, but i hear a womans voice saying it was housekeeping. no knock on the door or anything, just came right on in. i shouted that we had already exchanged the towels, but she had to use our phone to call in the fact that she had done it. dont know if that is common procedure or not, she wasnt in the room long enough to make a phone call, as i heard her exit just seconds afterward. lemme know if this sounds familiar.

I have seen them dial in many times

If I remember correctly at the hotels they dial in when entering the room a dial in again when they leave.

It may be they are allowed a certain amount of time to finish a room. If no second call they may send security to check.

On your next trip try to set a door trap so you can see if someone enters your room.Try different things at home so your ready when you go away.If housekeeping enters your room on a off day then we have the right to know why they entered.One of my tricks is leaving a 10 dollar bill around with a chemical that shows up with a black light.The finger and hand prints of the theif shows up and you have them without any argument from security and the police.I have used that and lipstick size cameras on employees and a neighbors who was stealing from me.You should have seen my neighbors face when I showed him his hand prints on my firewood stand and then the video of him and his brother taking my wood more then twice in a 2 week period.

Disney has hidden cameras, D knows at all times who is coming in and out of these rooms by number. With that said I cannot imagine that they cannot find the perpetrator if it was within house.

You are so right. From previous cm's we've been told the cameras are EVERYWHERE! Very little is not recorded or seen. It's like when people die, they are pronouced off property, that way they did not die in Disney.

Does anyone know the size of the safe at Saratoga Springs?
We've never stayed before & want to make sure our laptop will fit.

Thanks

We just returned from SSR a few days ago. The safes are approx. 12" high 8" wide and about 3 " deep. Nothing really would fit in them except maybe your paperwork for your flights ect. And, who is to say that anyone at the resort wouldn't have a extra key??

I think as CarolA posted, the op probably meant this as a word to the wise, not trying to place blame.
Unfortuantely every where you go, especially popular tourist destinations-the bad guys are there. At Disney especially we can lose sight of the fact that not every one is "feeling" the magic.
Hotel safes generally are not designed for large items. Cable locks for laptops are really cheap nowadays don't leave home without one.
Make sure all doors are locked at all times. Carry as few valuables as possible.
The standard safety stuff.

No I cannot! But are you prepared to leave your precious belonging now that you know it can be a potential problem. I would guess no.

I was not prepared to leave my precious belongings before, even things you think "nobody will steal these" can go missing. I know from experience!

I think as CarolA posted, the op probably meant this as a word to the wise, not trying to place blame.
Unfortuantely every where you go, especially popular tourist destinations-the bad guys are there. At Disney especially we can lose sight of the fact that not every one is "feeling" the magic.
Hotel safes generally are not designed for large items. Cable locks for laptops are really cheap nowadays don't leave home without one.
Make sure all doors are locked at all times. Carry as few valuables as possible.

Have to disagree, the OP clearly blames house keeping and infers this is an SSR problem. See quote below from OP. IMO these facts detract from OP's credibility and seems like just more SSR bashing.

Forewarning to anyone staying at Saratoga Springs Resort: Beware of housekeeping staff. We have been DVC members since 1998 and never had a problem like this, but we also never stayed at Saratoga Springs until this year.

Exactly, we get complacent at WDW and we think that nothing bad can happen to us. Sometimes we let our guard down and because we're on vacation we relax. It's important to remind ourselves that WDW is no different than any other public place.

I was going to bring the laptop in December-but if it won't fit in the safe it can stay home. It sounds like the PSP and the Nintendo DS will fit in the safe, so we can bring those. Cameras and phones usually go with us, but if we don't take the phones we can lock those up too.

Better safe than sorry!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter