Best way to pass time in line with kids?

wendy1974

DIS Veteran
Taking my 11 year old nephew in September (planned this before the Galaxy's Edge announcement). Anyway, I'm anticipating having to be outside Studios 3 hours prior to opening so I'm trying to plan ahead for ways to entertain him in line. He will have some sort of gaming device, I'm sure but I was thinking it would be nice to have other options. There used to be a thread (before every child had a smartphone/Ipad to stare at in line) of things to bring along to keep kids busy while waiting and I can't find anything when I search. So, I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions, things you may bring for your own children to pass the time.

If he likes puzzles, maybe a small sized word search book or sudoku book (easy to pack in a ziploc bag with a pencil inside a backpack)?

I think the less you bring besides food, the better for you. September is HOT. The gaming device will likely entertain him for a large chunk of time. Maybe download a movie on your phone both of you would enjoy? My husband has a couple of word games on his phone that my 8 and 10 year old enjoy playing with him. I think they were free, too.

Try to plan for some verbal games that don't require you to pack any additional items- 20 questions or Two Truths, One Lie. And ask questions about his life! My girls' elementary school sent home a list of questions to ask instead of "how was school?" where the answer is always "fine". It wouldn't apply here since this isn't school, but the idea is to ask child leading questions that require an answer other than "good" or "fine". This could be a good conversation starter for you. I am sure google would have some great question ideas. And don't forget the best-- good old fashioned people-watching! Hopefully you will be lined up near some interesting, friendly people. My kids always enjoy meeting people in line and finding out where they are from, etc.

And probably the most important thing ever- pack snacks & drinks! My kids can handle anything, even long wait times, as long as they aren't hungry. If hunger sets in, it's all over. He will probably eat more than you expect (even at the crack of dawn) so pack more than you think you need. :-)

Have fun! We are going in late August. Fitting it in just before the opening, thankfully.

At age 11, most kids can handle some wait time with little more than conversation. If that doesn't work, WDW is FULL of options at every turn. I'm with those who say, the less you carry into the parks in September, the better. Except WATER and plastic ponchos, we ALWAYS carry some water! Likely, you'll also be wise to carry plastic ponchos every day.

If you really want to carry something- go as compact as possible. Your best bet is likely a giftcard! Let him pick something out of his choosing! another GREAT option is to give him a free paper park map. In Epcot, stop by the free Kidcot stations.

Classic word games are another good idea, like "I spy " and "20 questions."

Another version is to go down the alphabet naming like as many songs (or characters, or attractions, or foods, whatever you like) that start with that letter, or just name one with each letter. Can be Disney or not Disney. So I say "apples." You say, "bananas." Then I say, "cucumber," and you say, "dates," and so forth. Another variation is to name things that are red/blue/green.

Usually, our family just talks. There's no shortage of things to see in WDW (every moment), and we often find it wise to plan our next move while we are in line. Where do we go after this? When is our next fastpass? Time for a bathroom break? What do you want for lunch?

If that fails, "What did you think of XXXX?" Also give him some little jobs, like checking weather updates for pop up storms, carrying the water, keeping track of your next FP time, using the map to find your next destination.

Oh, last, did I mention pop-up showers in September? They are VERY common, and goodness, when it rains in September, it POURS. Keep that in mind when choosing electronics. On many attractions, items have to be stowed, and it is easy to leave items behind if you stow it in the WDW pouch that's under the seat.

If he is going to carry an electronic device, I'd plan a place to stow it- like a cargo short pocket + a Ziploc bag (wet rides and downpours), or maybe a fanny pack or something similar.

Last edited:

I think the above ideas are great.

I give you credit. We don't wait for anything longer than 20 minutes with or without our kids.

You are an awesome Aunt.

I definitely don't have any issues with kids on phones/tablets/gaming devices in lines in the parks - I'm a 20-something who frequently entertains myself with my phone when I'm waiting in a long line or waiting for a show to start :p But if he's watching/doing anything with the volume turned up, please make sure he has headphones :upsidedow I don't remember this being an issue before, but on my last trip (Jan 2018) I noticed a lot of parents letting their kids watch videos on their phones with the volume turned way up. There were two in particular that stuck out. One in the Soarin' line - sound bounces off of everything in there so that got LOUD :scared: And another kid watching a movie on Mom's phone with the volume all the way up through the entirety of Happily Ever After, right next to me :headache:

You sound like a great aunt, and much braver than me - if I was going that close to Galaxy's Edge opening I'd probably be totally avoiding DHS :laughing: Have fun! :goodvibes

We must be mean parents because our kids do not bring their gaming devices to the parks. We just make them stand in line and wait like back in the day. :-)

My kids have never actually brought a device into the park with them. We drive from the Northeast so they really want nothing to do with that kind of entertainment once we arrive in FL. It’s never been necessary as a form of entertainment at the parks since we don’t wait longer than 20-30 min for any ride. I am frequently on my device to book additional fast passes after the first 3 to avoid said lines, though.

With that said, if I was anticipating a 3 hour stagnant wait, I would absolutely let them play on something! I personally don’t think we could do it. I love Disney and Harry Potter and cant imagine waiting 3 hours at WDW or Universal for anything. I have never waited in a line that long for my favorite concert tickets or for sports events, either, (before kids). So, doubt I could ever do it with kids! :-)

We play 20 questions, but that is for a 40 min. max wait, not three hours. I think the pp have shared some great ideas (stealing!). Books are also a good idea. I am a hard cover book person, which takes up a lot of space, so if you have an e-reader that might work. Small games like Exploding Kittens and Mad Libs can also help pass the time.

The most we have done is an hour waiting for rope drop for Jedi Training, and the last tine my oldest was almost 10. Snacks for sure, you hold the line and let him pin trade with the wandering CMs (or vice versa lol) ispy, and just the excitment of talking to others may be enough!! Maybe he can do the disney parks play app.

We must be mean parents because our kids do not bring their gaming devices to the parks. We just make them stand in line and wait like back in the day. :-)

This is us! I already carry enough, don't want to be responsible for more, or something expensive getting lost! I'm letting the kids bring cameras this year, and they are so excited, they love taking pictures of things!!

When my son was in a stroller, he had his gameboy, but that only lasted a couple of years and then he had nothing. His sisters have always had nothing with them.

We like to talk about:
  • What we've experienced so far that day
  • What our plan is after the current ride
  • What our plan is for the rest of the day
  • Look around at the stuff in the queue
  • Talk about whatever else comes to mind

Dan

I am in need also of entertainment during waits. Last time we went it wasn’t too crowded and FPd all the big rides (prior to toy stroyland and Pandora open). Worried about upcoming June trip , hot crabby kids no fun. We are strict on electronic usage and might give in on trip however my iPhone battery dies fast and with taking pictures and being on MDE not going to let battery die so kids can play a game. (Always seem forget portable charger on days most needed). Don’t need additional electronics to carry around.

Talking with our children, telling jokes, playing I spy, 20 questions etc. Children need to learn connection not be distracted

I guess I never thought we “needed something” for the kids to do. Most lines are doable (10-20 minutes) or we don’t wait, we will come back. We just have normal conversations I guess, plans later in the day, what to ride next, look at different things in the queue. Sometimes we will look at pictures from earlier in the day. Really not much entertainment needed. Time goes pretty quick
ETA: forgot this is your nephew and you want to wait before park opening. I would get him a park map and have him find everything he wants to do, maybe plan lunch. It’s not quite as easy to entertain a kid that’s not your own. Talk to CMs it’s interesting to find out where they are from!!! Maybe pin trading too. We also will talk to other families while waiting. Maybe he will make a new friend!!!

Last edited:
Very specifically, just for the 3 hour wait line- a small deck of cards could be one option, as one deck = many options.

Another is to bring a book, e-book, or a small pad of paper + pencil.
Many options with a notepad and pencil: word games, drawing, keeping a journal. do you know how to play dots?

If he likes origami, the Japan gift shop is actually a good place to buy origami paper. If he's never tried it before, they also sell origami books. You can also find many oline options free via your phone. Even better, there's a ton of origami things you can make with just a regular dollar bill. Some are easy, and some are VERY advanced. I should add, crisp new bills work best. I should also maybe add, folded dollar bills are fun when tipping $ (like at restaurants and bell services). Origami paper usually comes wrapped in plastic, but a quart sized ziploc is also very handy way to keep it dry. The trick, is to keep folded designs from getting squashed, or try to find a design that is flat (if you have to carry it).

In general, we always find interesting things at the Japan gift shop. In addition to origami, they books - including Anime. Over the years, we've found all kinds of little interesting all-ages toys. Near the register, they always sell the cutest little box of TINY colored pencils (even has a sharpener!).

Oh, Epcot's China sells tiny rubber animals. They are very inexpensive, and a handful easily fits in a pocket- though he might be bit old for those.

A wait that long is a great time to connect with kids. We spend the time talking with our girls and discussing all the great things we've done and will be doing. Have a great trip.

Try to guess where the people standing around you are from. People are going to be keyed up and enthusiastic and may enjoy a round of questioning about their city or country. It encourages a little socialization and can be great fun. Or, ask people to do their best Chewbacca imitation-now that could be entertaining-LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter