Best Currency Card

k8Davies

K8Davies
I'm sure this has been ask a bajillion times before.

But on my next trip I really want to take a pre-loaded currency card - want something very, very easy to use think of a confused toddler level and then make it simpler, that's the level of ease of use I need :rotfl:

I want to be able to over the next 8 months before my trip top it up slowly, but also when I'm away be able to move funds on to it if needed, something app based would be fine, especially if it lets you check your balance.

I did try having a look at Money Supermarket but that got me a bit confused. So I thought, I know, I'll try you guys as there is probably a wealth of experience of the good, the bad and the down right ugly lol :rotfl2:

We've used FairFX before but approx 5 years ago.
This trip we've applied for a Santander Zero credit card (no charges on payments made in local currency and no account fees - I'm not an employee btw!) and will be taking some cash for tips / smaller purchases.

Just wanted to throw another suggestion behind the revolt card.

All controlled via an app (including top ups and exchanges) and was very impressed.

Just wanted to throw another suggestion behind the revolt card.

All controlled via an app (including top ups and exchanges) and was very impressed.

Hi

Question in relation to the Revolt card, got one and like it, I've got cash out of an ATM in Spain (Euros) no charge from the ATM owner, however when I used it in the USA (Seattle) I got charged I think $3. His anyone got cash out of an ATM without paying a fee in the Orlando area?

Thanks

Paul

Hi

Question in relation to the Revolt card, got one and like it, I've got cash out of an ATM in Spain (Euros) no charge from the ATM owner, however when I used it in the USA (Seattle) I got charged I think $3. His anyone got cash out of an ATM without paying a fee in the Orlando area?

Thanks

Paul

I will need to double check, but I don't think we got charged using the ATM. I wonder if the $3 was the merchant's fee? (info below from Revolut's help page)

Overseas ATM withdrawals

Sometime when you use an ATM abroad, you will be asked to choose between a 'credit', 'checking' or 'savings' account. You should always choose either a 'checking' or 'savings' account.

If the ATM (or card terminal) asks whether you would like to complete the transaction 'with conversion' or 'without conversion', you should ALWAYS choose 'without conversion'.

As a rule of thumb, you should always opt to be charged in the local currency of the country you’re in! If you’re in Thailand choose Thai Baht, in Spain, Euros or in the United States, Dollars.

If you choose 'with conversion', the merchant or ATM provider can apply their own exchange rate. This rate usually has a mark-up on the interbank rate, enabling the ATM provider or merchant to make a profit on your transaction.

Hi

Yes it was the bank 'merchant fee' tried two or three banks all wanted to charge me so got fed up and paid the fee. however in Spain using a Banca March ATM no fee so I wondered if anyone had managed the same in the USA.

Regards

Paul

Seems you cant fail with any card. I have a Caxton FX and a Post Office one. Both have been great in New York and Chicago. I will use Caxton for the first 9 nights in I-Drive and the P.Office in Disney for the last 5 nights. Going in November and topping up all the time by using the websites of the cards. Great system

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter