Best and Worst Wedding Songs

This is going way back, but when DH & I were planning our wedding, we went to a "bridal fair" event where you can meet a lot of vendors in one place. Not one but THREE of the DJs there told us that the Theme from M*A*S*H* was in their top five list of most requested first-dance songs. WTH??? (The title of that song is actually "Suicide is Painless".)

FWIW, my BIL was puzzled when his bride's father put his foot down and insisted that they would NOT be leaving the ceremony to the strains of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell.

DH picked our first dance song and would not tell me what it was, he wanted it to be a surprise. It was Clapton's Wonderful Tonight (which was sweet, but turned out to be a bit prophetic, because DH did have a bit too much to drink that evening, LOL.)

Both of our Dads died before we got married, but I know that Jimmy Buffett's Little Miss Magic has since become one of the most popular Father-Daughter Dance songs in the US, partly because it's sweet, and partly because it has such a simple tune that even men who are hopeless dancers can manage it.

I don't think I've every encountered Country Roads at a wedding (and now it's forever associated in my mind with land mines thanks to Kingsman: the Golden Circle), but on the subject of John Denver, Grandma's Feather Bed used to be a popular sing-along when the guests got good and drunk late in the festivities.

This is going way back, but when DH & I were planning our wedding, we went to a "bridal fair" event where you can meet a lot of vendors in one place. Not one but THREE of the DJs there told us that the Theme from M*A*S*H* was in their top five list of most requested first-dance songs. WTH??? (The title of that song is actually "Suicide is Painless".)

FWIW, my BIL was puzzled when his bride's father put his foot down and insisted that they would NOT be leaving the ceremony to the strains of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell.

DH picked our first dance song and would not tell me what it was, he wanted it to be a surprise. It was Clapton's Wonderful Tonight (which was sweet, but turned out to be a bit prophetic, because DH did have a bit too much to drink that evening, LOL.)

Both of our Dads died before we got married, but I know that Jimmy Buffett's Little Miss Magic has since become one of the most popular Father-Daughter Dance songs in the US, partly because it's sweet, and partly because it has such a simple tune that even men who are hopeless dancers can manage it.

I don't think I've every encountered Country Roads at a wedding (and now it's forever associated in my mind with land mines thanks to Kingsman: the Golden Circle), but on the subject of John Denver, Grandma's Feather Bed used to be a popular sing-along when the guests got good and drunk late in the festivities.
Your stories are equally funny and sweet.

What a great story. I'm shocked that anyone would request the MASH theme, considering that this is the second verse:

"The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say"

But maybe the couples were fans of the show, although the Cheers theme might work a little better.

I avoided that film for that reason as Country Roads is one of my all time favourite songs and I'm obsessed with John Denver.

Of course I think our wedding song is the best - LOL!
Groovy Kind of Love by Phil Collins :love:

DH wanted that one and I do really Love it but it had a connection with a prior BF and I didn't want anything that was even vaguely connected to another guy at my wedding. We ended up with "Love of My Life" Jim Brickman (the Version with Michael W Smith- He was one of the first things we discovered we had in common after we first met.)

The last wedding I went to was my youngest niece's. Her Dad danced with her to I Loved Her First by Heartland, and we were all crying. To Sir With Love isn't a song that comes immediately to mind for a father/daughter dance, but I like it, yeah. It fits.

Beautiful song and had it come out before I got married I definitely would have picked it.

I ended up with a song called "Always be your baby" by Natalie Grant.

We got a lot of compliments and positive feedback for both song choices.

There is a country song called "The Love Song" that is really great to be played at a wedding. Not necessarily as a first dance although it could be. But I know some people do an "anniversary dance" where they eliminate couples a few at a time to come up with the longest married couple. That is a great song for that. I really wanted to do that but my mom had passed away about 2 years beforehand (they would have been in the running) and I didn't want that to be on people's mind and make everybody sad. We did play the song but just as a random song.

Last edited:
Reactions: slo
DH wanted that one and I do really Love it but it had a connection with a prior BF and I didn't want anything that was even vaguely connected to another guy at my wedding. We ended up with "Love of My Life" Jim Brickman (the Version with Michael W Smith- He was one of the first things we discovered we had in common after we first met.)

Beautiful song and had it come out before I got married I definitely would have picked it.

I ended up with a song called "Always be your baby" by Natalie Grant.

We got a lot of compliments and positive feedback for both song choices.

There is a country song called "The Love Song" that is really great to be played at a wedding. Not necessarily as a first dance although it could be. But I know some people do an "anniversary dance" where they eliminate couples a few at a time to come up with the longest married couple. That is a great song for that. I really wanted to do that but my mom had passed away about 2 years beforehand (they would have been in the running) and I didn't want that to be on people's mind and make everybody sad. We did play the song but just as a random song.
Jim Brickman - there’s a name I haven’t heard for awhile. I used to love listening to him :goodvibes

My first dance with DH was Heaven by Kane Brown

My dance was with my dad was Wildflowers by Tom Petty (a little backstory there but not super important)

For reference we got married July 2019

I'm watching a wedding on tiktok live right now. The best wedding song is Take Me Home Country Roads. The worst wedding song is the Cha Cha Slide/Cupid Shuffle.
I've never thought of Country Roads as a wedding song.
Agree that Cha Cha Slide is stupid ... but I'll counter with The Chicken Dance. Nothing is worse.
My daughter was dead-set on Sweet Child of Mine for her Daddy/Daughter dance ... great song, but not such a dance-able choice. Especially for two people who can't really dance. Turned out great though.
Yes, Sting has talked about couples telling him that Every Breath You Take was their wedding song, and he's appalled.
Remember that Sting was an English teacher. He wrote that about 1984 ... Big Brother, etc.
What a great story. I'm shocked that anyone would request the MASH theme, considering that this is the second verse:

"The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say"
Yikes! The title of that song is Suicide is Painless! Hardly the stuff of weddings.

Remember that Sting was an English teacher. He wrote that about 1984 ... Big Brother, etc.
See I read that he wrote that song during his divorce which explained the creepy stalker quality about it. But it certainly could apply to Big Brother...
Sweet Child of Mine for her Daddy/Daughter dance
Did they do the original by GnR? There is a slower version I heard recently, and while different, it would be perfect to dance to. Great song choice.

I saw a wedding recently in which the Bride's name was apparently Stacy. At one point during the reception, she got her elderly mother on the dance floor and the whole crowd danced and sang to her "Stacy's Mom" which was actually really funny and cute.

I always thought this one was a little cringy if you listen to the words, but heard it a lot in the early 90s:

I have, however, threatened to divorce DH just so we could get married again and use this as our wedding march:

That's too funny, might as well walk out to "Let's Get it on" by Marvin Gaye

I've heard of wedding where the bridal march is "The Imperial March" from Star Wars. 🙄

Why would anyone do that at a wedding??

I've heard of wedding where the bridal march is "The Imperial March" from Star Wars. 🙄

Eh, nerds gonna nerd. I think more commonly the march from the medal ceremony at the end of A New Hope is used as the exit music. At least that's more upbeat.

My old boss when I worked in engineering used this as his entrance music when he got married. Who knows? They’re still married though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter