Basic Economy on American Airlines

I've only been asked a couple of times, but I don't fly very much.
Million Mile Club -- Gold FF status for life.

Some people feel that switching from an aisle seat up front to a middle seat in the back, for example, is both discomfort and inconvenience.
Me too. But just say no.

Also, moving back is better than moving forward. If you move forward, you can't get back to your carryon in the overhead when you land.
Some people would feel bad about that.
Yep, but you just can't help people like that. They are too nice and people will take advantage of them.

I have no problem whatsoever saying no to an unreasonable request. I have no problem saying yes to a reasonable request. The switches I've made have all been 1-2 rows different, usually 1 row sitting between DW and DD rather than in front of DD on the window.

Anyone who has any problem saying no should be referred to belle1986's posts above. There is a way to get both great fares and sit together if you pay attention to the details and make your reservations the best way permissible under the restrictions.

Just a heads up, you can pick your seat on American. . You just have to wait til 48hrs before and there is a fee. I just did this yesterday for dh and I and the total for both seats was less than $30. We are leaving tomorrow on a basic economy ticket to Orlando.

Also if you have one of their credit cards you get to keep your priority boarding and checked bag perks. :)
Just to clarify this -- did you book separate seats earlier to get the good fare, and then change? Or did you just wait until 2 days before your flight to buy?

Update:

He returned home yesterday. For $11 he purchased an aisle seat row 19 for return flight. They do board Basic Economy last. From a 22 year old who has flown since 2 months at least 1-2 times a year he said it was nicest plane/ flight.

How do they do this? I haven't flown in the last decade. I thought they announced seating by rows/sections. I know there are some seating where you pay extra that are the 2 seaters along the side of the plane for example whereas the middle section might not be.

I don't mind boarding last. Planning to have my family's carryons be backpacks (on lap or under seat) so overhead space is no big deal for me. We purchased tickets from American with points/miles back in July. We were allowed to pick seats at time of purchase. When the American Airline fiasco happened recently, I checked my flights and noticed that both my flight numbers (we have a connecting flight) had changed and they had reassigned seats for my party. Checked again some time later and my 2nd flight's seats had changed, although it was the same flight # and same type of aircraft. Weird. I moved our seats several rows forward. Just this week when checking again, all of a sudden we didn't have seats assigned for our 1st flight...AND, only seats available to select you had to pay extra for. I called them and the lady said it's okay...seats can be assigned when I check in. I told her that I didn't want to wait until then, that I wanted my family (mainly kids and an adult) to sit together and wondered why the seats I was allowed to pick previously were taken off. Well, don't know what happened, 30 minutes later...she got us assigned seats (looks like the two-seaters on side of plane that might've required an upgrade) several rows back from what I had last had.

Sorry for my long story. I just thought it was odd with losing our seats we had picked, etc., and wondering how they'll do boarding.

How do they do this? I haven't flown in the last decade. I thought they announced seating by rows/sections.

Ah things have changed.

Airlines have their own ways, and often it’s by what sort of ticket you have. Look at your boarding pass and listen to how they are calling the groups.

Planning to have my family's carryons be backpacks (on lap or under seat) so overhead space is no big deal for me.

Can’t have them on your lap for takeoff or landing.

Flights are often changed by time and also the equipment (actually physical plane slated for your flight) can be changed. That’s why things have changed for you.

Sounds like with the last change she wasn’t looking far enough into it to see that you should be allowed to have seats, and then was able to get them for you.

Keep an eye on the flight; it can happen again. Know the sort of fare you booked and call them quickly if it happens again.

And, as long as I haven’t booked one of the restricted fares, the few times I can’t choose seats online (like booking rt west cost US to Europe through Aer Lingus who codeshares with united and jet blue) it’s all worked out well at either checkin online or at the desk.

The one time there was such a shakeup that they couldn’t get us together at the airport (booked on miles and that day there were huge storms on the east coast that caused mass cancellations and changes over on the west coast, even for our flights down the coast to Anaheim), we were able to get close thanks to the kindness of strangers.

(So don’t always assume that a separated group booked a restricted class, please!!! Junk happens sometimes)

The couple that absolutely could not change seats said so without drama and I accepted it completely. My son was two rows behind with lovely older women who acted like the grandma my mom would have been (and not the mean yelling paternal side grandma he has), and I sat with a sweet couple who could not switch becausr of the wife’s extreme anxiety. My kid loved his flight experience. I think he was 8? On recent transatlantic flights I booked us across the aisle from each other so he could feel alone and independent.

We booked several US domestic flights through AMEX travel online, all with AA. Only later did i realise one of those legs was classified as 'basic economy'. In each transaction (AMEX online) there was no choices to make regarding class. I later find out that AMEX travel only offers the lowest fare on a flight, regardless of conditions of ticket. You don't see said conditions of ticket until you log into AA using your booking reference. I thought that was a bit interesting. Nevertheless, i wanted to use my points so ultimately that's what we've done. I called to try to pay to upgrade but couldn't. My husband and I are on a 4 week trip and we'll have to pay to check our suitcases, as well as our regular carry on bags with this fare. I desperately want to sit together on our ATL-LAX flight. I guess i'll be poised to do online check in 48 hours before and hope we can pay to secure the two seats together. I wasn't looking for the cheapest flight at all, and would have been more than happy to pay for the seats or any other comforts required given the choice at booking. :-)

Just to clarify this -- did you book separate seats earlier to get the good fare, and then change? Or did you just wait until 2 days before your flight to buy?

It was originally a solo trip so I purchased the basic economy for myself. Later when dh decided to go I purchased him a main cabin and picked both our seats 48hours prior. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter