Basic Economy on American Airlines

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
Last Friday night my 22 year old son found a RT tick on AA in basic economy from Chicago to Phoenix for $102 leaving Monday and returning Friday (tomorrow). He spent the week with my parents and had a great time.

Pros- very cheap fare

Cons- non refundable, no seat assigned until check in (so families can be split up), carryon under seat in front of you only

He got a middle seat flying out, flight arrived early. For a last minute unplanned trip it is perfect.

Basically posted so others with definite plans might take advantage of. Of course for families with small kids this would not work but for college kids or adults it’s great.

It will be interesting to see how they enforce not using the overheads! :rolleyes:

My guess is they'll just have those passengers last to board, knowing all the overheads will be full.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how they enforce not using the overheads! :rolleyes:

My guess is they'll just have those passengers last to board, knowing all the overheads will be full.
Last thing board and the limit you to a “personal item.” If you try to bring a carryon bag, not only do you pay to check it, but you’ll also pay a surcharge for checking it at the gate.

There has been a lot of discussion about this new, lower class of air travel on air travel specific forums. It started out small, on certain routes where the big airlines were competing with a cut-rate upstart. However, it's spreading to practically every route on every major airline line. It'll be the price that captures our attention as we're looking for flights.

While it might seem a little strange to deliberately create a option that will likely result in occasional confrontations between you and your customer, leave it to the airlines to do it. I guess they figure that they are already viewed by us as evil, because of their existing, very one-sided terms and conditions; the ever-increasing lack of comfort in their coach cabins; and how when things go wrong they often don't do much to smooth things over for us. What's one more level of friction?

Just a heads up, you can pick your seat on American. . You just have to wait til 48hrs before and there is a fee. I just did this yesterday for dh and I and the total for both seats was less than $30. We are leaving tomorrow on a basic economy ticket to Orlando.

Also if you have one of their credit cards you get to keep your priority boarding and checked bag perks. :)

Also if you have one of their credit cards you get to keep your priority boarding and checked bag perks. :)
Also if you have frequent flyer status.

In addition, if you find your party separated, passengers are very good about swapping seats to get families together. Now if you have a family of 9...that's a different story, but with three, we never have a problem switching if we want to. It often works out better for both parties.

In addition, if you find your party separated, passengers are very good about swapping seats to get families together. Now if you have a family of 9...that's a different story, but with three, we never have a problem switching if we want to. It often works out better for both parties.
Swapping doesn't work when you have three middle seats. You need to be trading like-for-like(or slightly better). Trading an aisle for an aisle closer to the front should work, but trying to get someone with an aisle seat to trade for a window seat farther back is a no-go.

I'm not going to swap my seat if someone deliberately purchased a strings-attached ticket knowing that they'd be separated, nor do I think it's appropriate for anyone who's purchased one of those fares, knowing the stipulations, to do that. But YMMV.

You're both probably right. I often book my wife aisle/daughter window/me window in front of DD -- so if we want to switch, I'm usually trading window for middle.

OTOH, I've also offered my window for middle because the couple were middle-middle; it works both ways.

you’ll also pay a surcharge for checking it at the gate.

What's this surcharge for checking at the gate? What always bothered me on United was that if I checked my luggage at check-in, I'd pay the checked luggage fee. However, several times I'd get to the gate and they'd make an announcement that the flight was really full, and so people could check their luggage at the gate for free. That always bothered me because I'd had to pay.

@belle1986 - That's really good to know that choosing the seats cost less than $30 - was there much choice of seats at 48 hours out? We booked a flight through AMEX travel without realising it was a basic fare and now we're stuck with it. Could you give me an idea of what people were carrying as a 'personal' item? Would a laptop bag be ok? Thanks! :flower1:

What's this surcharge for checking at the gate? What always bothered me on United was that if I checked my luggage at check-in, I'd pay the checked luggage fee. However, several times I'd get to the gate and they'd make an announcement that the flight was really full, and so people could check their luggage at the gate for free. That always bothered me because I'd had to pay.
If your bag is a carryon size and you voluntarily check it at the gate, they’ll usually do it for free. But, with Basic Economy, if you try to sneak a carryon into the plane, they’ll force you to check it, charge you the normal fee, and a $25 surcharge.

I'm not going to swap my seat if someone deliberately purchased a strings-attached ticket knowing that they'd be separated, nor do I think it's appropriate for anyone who's purchased one of those fares, knowing the stipulations, to do that. But YMMV.
I think there was a time that people would do that, but the in-cabin experience has gotten so bad, that what these basic economy passengers are asking from others is far too much. More importantly, there are far too many passengers selecting these super-low fares without regard to the discomfort and inconvenience they would be seeking to impose on other passengers. On some flights, now, there are sometimes three and perhaps even four families looking to shift their less convenient seating onto some other traveler. It has gotten out of hand and so passengers, especially frequent travelers, are increasingly no longer willing to even consider it.

I think there was a time that people would do that, but the in-cabin experience has gotten so bad, that what these basic economy passengers are asking from others is far too much. More importantly, there are far too many passengers selecting these super-low fares without regard to the discomfort and inconvenience they would be seeking to impose on other passengers. On some flights, now, there are sometimes three and perhaps even four families looking to shift their less convenient seating onto some other traveler. It has gotten out of hand and so passengers, especially frequent travelers, are increasingly no longer willing to even consider it.
Hmmm. I haven't had that experience at all. In fact, I've never had anyone ask to switch seats. I was actually the one who volunteered to swap with that couple this summer.

I'm also not sure how they would be causing "...discomfort and inconvenience." All you have to do is say "No."

@belle1986 - That's really good to know that choosing the seats cost less than $30 - was there much choice of seats at 48 hours out? We booked a flight through AMEX travel without realising it was a basic fare and now we're stuck with it. Could you give me an idea of what people were carrying as a 'personal' item? Would a laptop bag be ok? Thanks! :flower1:

I had around 4-5 different options of 2 seats side by side. The fee varies depending on the location but I think the most expensive one was $29.

I’ve taken a small Vera Bradley backpack and a medium Vera tote as a personal item before.

@belle1986 Could you give me an idea of what people were carrying as a 'personal' item? Would a laptop bag be ok? Thanks! :flower1:
There should be maximum dimensions for both carry-ons & personal items on the airline's baggage info web page.

I'm planning a trip on WestJet & American. My wheeled laptop bag is an inch too big for a personal item, but my old simple laptop bag fits.

There has been a lot of discussion about this new, lower class of air travel on air travel specific forums. It started out small, on certain routes where the big airlines were competing with a cut-rate upstart. However, it's spreading to practically every route on every major airline line. It'll be the price that captures our attention as we're looking for flights.

While it might seem a little strange to deliberately create a option that will likely result in occasional confrontations between you and your customer, leave it to the airlines to do it. I guess they figure that they are already viewed by us as evil, because of their existing, very one-sided terms and conditions; the ever-increasing lack of comfort in their coach cabins; and how when things go wrong they often don't do much to smooth things over for us. What's one more level of friction?

I think it is a great option for those people who don't care where they sit, or who they sit by. Nothing wrong with offering a cheaper option. No one is forced to buy it.

Plus, with most airlines the terms and conditions are only one sided if you buy the cheap fares. Upgrade and you get more perks and more flexibility. Again, no one is forced to buy a certain fare.

Hmmm. I haven't had that experience at all.
I've only been asked a couple of times, but I don't fly very much.

I'm also not sure how they would be causing "...discomfort and inconvenience."
Some people feel that switching from an aisle seat up front to a middle seat in the back, for example, is both discomfort and inconvenience.

I suppose not everyone feels that way though.

All you have to do is say "No."
Some people would feel bad about that.

I think it is perfectly find if someone doesn't, though. The way things are aboard airplanes these days people shouldn't feel uncomfortable about saying no to such requests, though again many people do.

I think it is a great option for those people who don't care where they sit, or who they sit by. Nothing wrong with offering a cheaper option. No one is forced to buy it.
I agree, but again some people feel differently, that if there is a lower price that they can select to help their vacation dollar go further then they should make that selection and expect that concerns like their family being seated together should be satisfied for them at the gate or on-board.

I'm also not sure how they would be causing "...discomfort and inconvenience." All you have to do is say "No."
It's a discomfort and inconvenience to be guilt-tripped into giving up a superior seat that you paid for, to accommodate someone who chose Basic Economy to save money. I personally can't be guilt-tripped that way (I always make plans & pay to ensure that my child will sit next to me, and think that other parents should do the same), but my mother, for example, would be guilted into giving up her seat. That wouldn't be fair to her. It's not easy for everyone to say no.

It's also uncomfortable to be placed in the position of having to say no to someone who is asking you to give up your seat so that their child/spouse/friend can sit next to them. No matter the fact that you deserve the seat that you paid for and that you are very polite in your decline, it is an unpleasant way to start off a flight.

No one should book a Basic Economy fare with the expectation that they'll be able to sit with the others in their party, or that they'll get choice seats. Asking others to give up a superior seat they paid & planned for is just rude.

Last edited:
Update:

He returned home yesterday. For $11 he purchased an aisle seat row 19 for return flight. They do board Basic Economy last. From a 22 year old who has flown since 2 months at least 1-2 times a year he said it was nicest plane/ flight.

He’d have been fine with middle seat- but is 6ft plus. When he looked there were several aisle/windows to choose from at varying prices depending on location. This flight had 30 rows. His was first bag off.

Honestly I’d fly basic Economy. I’d never expect anybody to swap seats with me... because I’d never do it for anyone who bought cheapest seat and then figured someone who purchased seat would move for them so they could with family.

So $113 total for round trip from Chicago to Phoenix to see grandparents it was worth it! That price includes seat fee.

Think people need to read fine print on what they are getting before just buying cheapest ticket!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter