• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Banned for life...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe he thinks it would have been better to say he could build a bomb in his room. lol

I can picture if he had said that instead, probably would have got the whole hotel evacuated.

Good. I'm tired of people that think they can get away with crap like that. I work at a post office and when you ask if anyone has certain things in their packages and they think it funny to say yes and tell you there just joking after you try to figure what is really in the package. It's not funny at all. He said it so he should get banded. It the same if someone said hijack on a plane. People need to think before they open their mouths.

I think it is ridiculous in his final statement he says he'll wait to see what Disney does with the appeal but in fact that isn't what he is doing. Instead of keeping this quiet and waiting it out he is running to anyone that will take his story. That won't sit well for him in Disney's eyes.

I can't believe he thinks it would have been better to say he could build a bomb in his room. lol

That was the craziest part to me! I think he was foolish in his word choice, but I don't know if it warranted the level of reaction it received. However, if he had "joked" about a bomb, I would absolutely believe he had gotten what was coming to him.

Around here, local authorities would take notice of the even more serious joke on the news report. I suspect in this frustrated discussion with cast members there was a lot more that happened we don't know and they do say every joke has a little bit of truth. This is an interesting way to "take responsibilities for his actions". I think there is more to this story since his wife and children aren't also banned.

Good. I'm tired of people that think they can get away with crap like that. I work at a post office and when you ask if anyone has certain things in their packages and they think it funny to say yes and tell you there just joking after you try to figure what is really in the package. It's not funny at all. He said it so he should get banded. It the same if someone said hijack on a plane. People need to think before they open their mouths.

Looks like another fool who has learned the hard way that words have consequences.

Do you both honestly believe it is appropriate for him to be banned for life for saying something stupid?

Believe me, words should carry weight - but the punishment should also fit the crime.

And no, making a joke about a meth lab is not nearly the same as joking about a bomb or hijacking a plane. Both of those last two are direct threats to large groups of people. Building a meth lab is extremely improbable and utterly ridiculous (come on, what meth cooker in their right mind would pay Disney resort prices to find a place to cook!). Likely the guy had just binged on some Breaking Bad and forgot the rest of the world doesn't use meth labs as a yard stick for time consumption.

Around here, local authorities would take notice of the even more serious joke on the news report. I suspect in this frustrated discussion with cast members there was a lot more that happened we don't know and they do say every joke has a little bit of truth. This is an interesting way to "take responsibilities for his actions". I think there is more to this story since his wife and children aren't also banned.

His wife and child didn't say something stupid. Why would Disney ban them as well? Simply because they are related? Because they were there together? If you happened to be with someone who did something to get themselves banned for life, do you think it would be proper for you to get banned as well?

I also disagree there is truth in every joke and frankly, I've never heard anyone say that before. What he said wasn't even a joke, it was a stupid exaggeration. He said he could build a meth lab in the time it took this CM to assist him. He could have said that he could have cooked an 8 course dinner, assembled a grandfather clock from spare parts, or any other ludicrous activity that would presumably take a long time.

I suspect he was being a dick to the CM, and the DM realized they could nail him to the wall for making this dumb comment. I believe the raid on the room was warranted, if for no other reason to discourage others from making dumb comments about meth labs in the park. And having the rest of their vacation cut short was perfectly valid as well, as he likely needed time to cool his heels away from whatever it was that led him to get so frustrated in the first place.

But a lifetime ban for saying something stupid that did not endanger or threaten anyone else? My own humble opinion is that this was a complete over reaction. And I find it sad that others would suggest it was "good" that this happened to him.

I think there was some misunderstanding in what I said as I didn't intend to say anyone with him should be guilty by association.

But a lifetime ban for saying something stupid that did not endanger or threaten anyone else?

I think there is more to the story and it's the only reason I can think that it would be a ban for life. i'm curious what it was.

He said "I could build..." not I did build or I will build or I am building. I think there is a big difference. I could build a meth lab in the amount of time this is taking may be a stupid comparison and ridiculous thing to say but it is not an admission of guilt or a threat to do so. It was also stated in a way that is actually a common expression (not the meth lab part) but I could / in this amount of time. Way overreaction from Disney. None of us should be punished for things we could do - only things we do, conspire to do, or actually threaten to do. I could is not a threat.

Not sure where the meth lab analogy came from but does it really matter? He could have been watching a tv show, reading a book about meth labs, watched a news program on the proliferation of meth labs or any other mundane normal activity that would bring it to the forefront of his mind. While it is possible that he actually is a drug dealer who makes meth, it doesn't seem likely.

Saying I could do something in this amount of time isn't even saying you would want to do it. I don't even see how this statement was probable cause for a search. I have no idea what would be involved in building a meth lab, but I have a feeling it would take longer than the transaction with the CM. If that is the case, then the statement was even not logical or plausible. If that isn't the case, then wow the interaction was really taking far too long.

I do agree that people should be more conscious of the impact of their words and should try to be more patient instead of running their mouths.

I would hope there was more to the story than this to cause a lifetime ban.

Banning them was a most appropriate to the crime. A Meth Lab is as close be being a explosive bomb as possible and extremely poisonous. In todays day and age you don't joke about such matters, especially in a place with large groups of people. Its like yelling fire in a theater. It was a THREAT, plain and simple!

While now it may be that he didn't mean anything(we only have his word, and after saying what he did I don't believe him), but at the time the CM's didn't know that even if it was true the man was just shooting off his mouth.

I applauded Disney for banning him and putting the safety of my family in the future and others as well First in their concern.

In my opinion, Police should have been called and let them investigate the matter.

You cant fix STUPID!

AKK

Last edited:
Personally, I would have gone with one of the following "Could have done's in half the time...":
  • Gotten a reservation at BOG
  • Converted Maelstrom to Arendelle
  • Constructed half of Avatarland
  • Resurrected Future World to its prior glory
  • Built a mega suburban mall at DTD
  • Expanded the MK hub
  • Opened the kiddie coaster known as 7DMT
  • Drawn concept art and announced SW Land

Yeah... Meth Lab would have been pretty far down on my list ;)

Also keep in mind there's no exact quote of what he said. Just him saying he joked about building a meth lab in his room.

"I could build a meth lab in my room in the time it takes to do this" is different from "I could finish building the meth lab in my room in the time it's taking to do this"

Both constitute a "joke" about building a meth lab. One implies he's actually in possession of materials to accomplish that task (as someone else pointed out that can be poisonous/explode). The fact that it resulted in a full on police raid tends to make me feel the comment was closer to the latter than the former

Could someone have over-reacted and reported it to the police? yes. That being said he's going to present himself in the best light possible in the media "I was just joking". Disney isn't going to comment at all. The fact that what he said resulted in a police raid seems to indicate he may have said something more messed up than what he's indicating.

I agree that this is a little much. I get it was inappropriate but there wasn't really a threat. I think the guy was probably just being a dbag to the CM and they got annoyed and wanted some revenge. Either that or there is more to the story than is written. I find it hard to believe that he would be banned for life for that statement. I understand a bit of a reprimand but to be banned for life seems a little excessive. If he had said the thing about the bomb, I would understand that more. He didn't say he was going to build a meth lab or that he had built a meth lab, he used it as a weird measure of time.

I don't understand why he would be banned for life for saying something stupid that wasn't a threat. Someone above had said its like yelling fire in a crowded theater except no... it's not.

Actually yes it is like yelling fire in a theater....to say someting that stupid i. A resort wit hundreds of poeple . Is just like yelling fire it could create a panic,

How did the cm know it was not a threat?
Fore that mather we don't really know now, all we have is his word....the guy stupid enough the say that in the first place.

He is lucky he wasn't fill enough the say those things in the lobby.he likely and properly would have people dialing 911.

AKK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter