Backstage Magic - June 2010

I go on this tour August 8th and I too am hoping that ABD will be able to secure us a preferred spot to view WOC. I'll be looking to hear all about it when you guys return. ;)

meg

We received our trip package today with our backpacks for the June 20th trip! Can someone who has been on this trip provide an idea of the best way the spend the free afternoon / evening in Los Angeles? Thanks

Just returned from the April 13-18 Adventure. Try to see a movie at the El Capitan. It looks like Toy Story 3 in 3-D will be showing when you are there.

We regret not taking the time to see Alice in Wonderland during our visit.

Just returned from the April 13-18 Adventure. Try to see a movie at the El Capitan. It looks like Toy Story 3 in 3-D will be showing when you are there.

We regret not taking the time to see Alice in Wonderland during our visit.
That's been the idea in the back of my head for months, but I guess I waited a bit too long...there are only 18 seats available in the VIP section (and I'm in shock they're $32 per ticket!!!!) and no seats in the middle-level VIP/General Admission part of the seating chart for the 7 pm show.

What time are you back at the hotel and on your own on Monday? I can't see any of us actually making it until 9:30, since we're East Coasters and won't be totally readjusted to the time change yet.

That's been the idea in the back of my head for months, but I guess I waited a bit too long...there are only 18 seats available in the VIP section (and I'm in shock they're $32 per ticket!!!!) and no seats in the middle-level VIP/General Admission part of the seating chart for the 7 pm show.

What time are you back at the hotel and on your own on Monday? I can't see any of us actually making it until 9:30, since we're East Coasters and won't be totally readjusted to the time change yet.

ASTamm - ditto here! I really want to snag a pair of tickets to the 7:00pm show...I may call ABD later today if no one on here has any information. If i do, I'll post here with what they say.

I took this tour last year, you get back to the hotel between 4 and 5 pm, I am thinking we got back a little after 4 but depending on your group size it might be a little later as some of the activites only fit a certain amount of people so you have to go in smaller groups but you will be back in plenty of time to make the 7pm show.

I took this tour last year, you get back to the hotel between 4 and 5 pm, I am thinking we got back a little after 4 but depending on your group size it might be a little later as some of the activites only fit a certain amount of people so you have to go in smaller groups but you will be back in plenty of time to make the 7pm show.

We had the same experience. There was enough time to get to the 7pm show. The VIP tickets, while expensive, allow you to arrive at the last minute plus you get popcorn and drinks. The seats are very good too.

Not trying to give anyone a high pressure sales pitch, but the number of available VIP seats was down to 16 when I went to the El Capitan theatre site, and I purchased 4, so the total available is now 12.

I finally hung up my D23 calendar this afternoon and guess what??? The 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney Archives is the day we're there!!! I hope there are special activities going on and we get to be part of them and that they don't pull Dave Smith from giving the normal presentation to do something else that day.

FWIW, not a major milestone, but the Tiki Room's 47th anniversary is the day we'll be touring DL. I wonder if Walt was there on that first day?

Not trying to give anyone a high pressure sales pitch, but the number of available VIP seats was down to 16 when I went to the El Capitan theatre site, and I purchased 4, so the total available is now 12.

I finally hung up my D23 calendar this afternoon and guess what??? The 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney Archives is the day we're there!!! I hope there are special activities going on and we get to be part of them and that they don't pull Dave Smith from giving the normal presentation to do something else that day.

FWIW, not a major milestone, but the Tiki Room's 47th anniversary is the day we'll be touring DL. I wonder if Walt was there on that first day?

I went for the VIP as well - it seemed like a smart move. I am really glad to see others who took this trip think this is a good move. Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!

AStamm - I must have purchased mine right before you - there was 18 left when I bought my pair. I am assuming we are in the same section of the theater. Good times, good times!

Wow - the 40th on the day we are at the Archives!!! I hope there is something special going on, maybe an anniversary party?

I went for the VIP as well - it seemed like a smart move. I am really glad to see others who took this trip think this is a good move. Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!

AStamm - I must have purchased mine right before you - there was 18 left when I bought my pair. I am assuming we are in the same section of the theater. Good times, good times!

Wow - the 40th on the day we are at the Archives!!! I hope there is something special going on, maybe an anniversary party?

I'm almost positive we'll be right behind you. DH and I were talking about how expensive the evening will be when he commented "at least the popcorn and drinks are included" :rotfl:. In the grand scheme of things, what's another $32 per person, right?

I'm almost positive we'll be right behind you. DH and I were talking about how expensive the evening will be when he commented "at least the popcorn and drinks are included" :rotfl:. In the grand scheme of things, what's another $32 per person, right?

Ok - just checking in on this. I was looking up tickets for the El Capitan last night for either August 7th or 9th and they had VIP in both the orch (7th to 9th row) or the front mezz. What tickets are you guys going for? Being that I've never been to this theatre I'm not sure which seats would have the better view.

Thanks,

meg

We looking at doing this on the night of the 9th (maybe the 7p.m. show) too. Figured the 7th might be a little crazy.

Ok - just checking in on this. I was looking up tickets for the El Capitan last night for either August 7th or 9th and they had VIP in both the orch (7th to 9th row) or the front mezz. What tickets are you guys going for? Being that I've never been to this theatre I'm not sure which seats would have the better view.

Thanks,

meg

The only thing that was available as of last evening was 4 seats in the 7th row and 14 seats in the 8th row. Looks like adambomb got 2 seats in the 7th and we grabbed 4 directly behind him.

I haven't ever been in the theatre, just the ice cream shop next door, so can't really comment on which would be the better view. Hopefully someone else can give you an idea and you can book soon.

The 9:30 pm showing must be sold out the night of our ABD free time--it doesn't even show up as an option when I clicked on the date.

I was out of town for a few days and checking the posts now. Thanks for the communication and update. We purchased three seats on the 8th row next to you all.

The only thing that was available as of last evening was 4 seats in the 7th row and 14 seats in the 8th row. Looks like adambomb got 2 seats in the 7th and we grabbed 4 directly behind him.

I haven't ever been in the theatre, just the ice cream shop next door, so can't really comment on which would be the better view. Hopefully someone else can give you an idea and you can book soon.

The 9:30 pm showing must be sold out the night of our ABD free time--it doesn't even show up as an option when I clicked on the date.

Thanks for responding. Still debating which seats to go for but I'll figure it out.

While I'm happy it doesn't appear our day at the Studios isn't going to be screwed up, it's also disappointing to think we're not going to be part of any of this cool stuff...unless you cough up another $50 and have a way to get to the Studios on Friday, June 25...

D23's "Walt Disney Archives 40th Anniversary Celebration"
Event Information

DATE
Friday, June 25, 2010

The Walt Disney Studios
Burbank, California

TICKETS
Available June 4, 2010, 10 a.m. PST. Please check this page for the ticket link.

COST
$50 per person (plus a $5 processing fee)

SCHEDULE
Check in begins at 3:30 p.m., presentations begin at 5 p.m.

It's been 40 years since Chief Archivist and Disney Legend Dave Smith founded the Walt Disney Archives — a collection that over the years has grown to house thousands of amazing props, costumes, sets and pieces of Disney history dating back to Walt's earliest days. D23 is proud to join Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and The Walt Disney Company as we honor the Archives for its astounding work preserving the Disney legacy for the past four decades.

Guests will be welcomed into the historic Studio Theatre, where Walt himself screened Fantasia back in 1940. Bob will present Dave with his 40th anniversary service award, honoring his personal and professional contributions to Disney.

The night's festivities will also include the premiere of the Archives' first "home movie" — four decades in the making — Archiving the Archives: Forty Years of Preserving the Magic, which details some of the highlights of the Walt Disney Archives from Roy O. Disney's hiring of Dave in 1970 to the fantastic exhibit and fan outreach programs of today. Film historian and critic Leonard Maltin will lead a question-and-answer session with Dave, revealing some surprising stories sure to delight Disney fans. And Archives Manager Becky Cline will give an overview of current Archives programs and introduce special guests who will be on hand to present several new spectacular pieces into the Archives' ever-growing collection. You will have to be there to see what they are!

Following the festivities is a champagne and dessert reception where guests can mingle in the tree-lined splendor of Disney's studio amidst some of the lot's historic buildings including the original Animation Building, which housed Walt's offices and was the stomping ground of the Nine Old Men.

Exclusive D23 merchandise, including a brand-new, limited-edition pin celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Walt Disney Studios as well as colorful polo shirts designed just for the Archives Anniversary event, will be available for sale at our new shopping kiosk.

And of course no D23 event would be complete without a special gift! To commemorate this once-in-a-lifetime experience, every guest will receive a limited-edition pin honoring the Archives' 40th anniversary.

We hope you will be a part of Walt Disney Archives history, which celebrates the past 40 years of preserving the magic and looks forward to the future of this important home for Disney's most treasured treasures.

NOTE: Available only to D23 Members in good standing. Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest. There are a limited number of tickets available. Dinner is not provided during the reception; we suggest attendees eat a light dinner or late lunch before the event. D23 Members will be required to provide their membership number when reserving tickets. Tickets may be picked up only with a valid photo ID AND D23 MEMBERSHIP CARD. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card may not be admitted to the event. Ticketed Members who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. All D23 Special Events are subject to change without notice. There are no cancelations or refunds, tickets are not transferrable.

Alas...but maybe they will have something small...or use us as Guinea pigs for the festivities on Friday ;)

16 days!!!:cool1:

Alas...but maybe they will have something small...or use us as Guinea pigs for the festivities on Friday ;)

16 days!!!:cool1:
I'm such a sucker for "exclusive" events that incorporate Disney...with very little hesitation from either of us, Birdie and I decided to go ahead and try to get tickets for this event. As DH works 2nd shift and was home still, it was up to him to score them as soon as they were released. Happy to report, we got them :banana:!

So...from having never been at the Studios before, we'll be there twice in one week and may get the chance to meet the Disney CEO. How totally cool.

Now if only the rumor about breakfast at Club 33 possibly being included in the Backstage Magic ABD came to fruition, I couldn't ask for anything more on this vacation.

See you in a little over TWO WEEKS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter