Backpack or tote bag, or what?

queenmo

Earning My Ears
What am I going to haul all our stuff around the parks in? We will have our DS's stroller, but it's an umbrella, so no cargo space. Bought hubby a fanny pack, but that won't hold much.

Do backpacks get heavy and hot (I'm not a fan), are there any particular ones you'd recommend? I was also thinking of carrying a tote bag, but it may get in the way.

Needing to carry around water, sunscreen, ponchos, suvi's, etc

Thanks!

:cool:

We have an inexpensive CLEAR school backpack from Wal-Mart and the screeners love it! One said it was his favorite color;)
We just toss stuff in it and hang it on the stroller and then carry it on the rides.

I personally never go to WDW without a backpack and I am also not a big fan of them in general. However they are a necessity at WDW I think! In fact I just purchased a new one yesterday for our trip in May. They are great for throwing all of the little bags from shopping (especially if you shop as much as me! :D ) As well as all of the stuff you accumulate during the day and don't want to hold on to during each ride. I prefer the Jansport backpacks. I think they are really comfortable! I know the prices vary but here in Wisconsin we have Sportmart and I got one just the right size yesterday on sale for $20.00! Hope this helps!

Love my Lands End Backpack!:D Had it embroidered with "Mom's Stuff" on the front. No question as to who it belongs to! Can pack a weekend's worth of clothes in it! Comfy straps with a side handle to carry it like a suitcase. Totes, as you know, will tip the umbrella stroller back and make you lopsided. I'm a backpack fan.

I have one of these messenger bags and I love it! This size is convenient too, probably better for a family.

It's roomy enough to carry everything I need, but small enough that it's not a bother on any of the rides. I prefer the messenger bags to backpacks because even though you can throw it on a stroller or over your back, you don't have to completely take it off to get things out of it. Plus, with the over-the-shoulder strap and the side-stabilizer, it's pretty secure.

the Timbuk2 brand are expensive, but sometimes you can find them at Wall's discount store or Syms. I got my small one at Wall's for 12 dollars, and it's lasted me for 4 years now and is still going strong!

We use a backpack--we dont over pack, just take what we will need at the park. It really doesnt get heavy. We each take turns carrying it or of we have our umbrella stoller we just hang it ont he back.

My wife and I both carry backpacks. Mine an "outdooring"-type, and is usually loaded with food & water, coats, cameras, and the heavy stuff; her's with baby stuff, wallet, phone, etc.

Additionally, I always carry a fanny pack with my "important" things (wallet, phone/pda, tickets, etc.), so I can ditch or stowe the backpack quickly and have the essentials.

Another tip: We always have a carabiner or two tied to the push-bar of our double-stroller. It always comes in very handy for quickly attaching/detaching shopping bags, clothes, backpacks, and whatever to the stroller. Beware though of clipping too much on however, as when the kids get out, the stroller will have a tendency to tip.
:jester:

The one problem I found with a backpack is it was kinda of a pain to fiddle with the straps & snaps anytime I wanted to take a spontaneous picture, say of a character acting cute outside of an attraction. I'm switching to a tote bag for my next trip (but I don't have little ones yet). ;) My advice would be to give hunny the camera in the fannypack so it at your fingertips whenever you need it! Have fun. :D

Invariably, I end up wearing my camera around my neck (granted its one of the fancy & tiny 35mm's). Circumvents lost photo opps due to laziness, and we do end up taking alot more pics that way.

Sometimes, I also use a snaplink (aka carabiner) to fasten it to one of the loops on my backpacks shoulder strap. Keeps it in a convenience ready-to-use position, without all the swinging around (hazardous to the little ones, really!) and knocks your camera goes through by wearing it around your neck.

DH wears a backpack with the big things and I carry a small messenger bag. Though I have to admit he sometimes complains that it gets hot and we'll switch back and forth. I can't imagine not having it!

DH carries the backpack with all the necessities and I carry the camera around my neck for quick access to photos. I also got roped into carrying the video camera, but it wasn't bad since DH was carrying everything else! We brought the video camera because it was our DD's (3 1/2) first trip to WDW - I'm not sure if we'll bring it this year.

Well, we're going to try it without a backpack this trip. Since our next trip is in August (first time in the summer), I hate to think how much hotter it will feel lugging around a backpack. It's 4 of us, kids are 7&9. Hubby and I will use fanny packs with the essentials, camera, ponchos (you can roll them up tight and wrap a rubber band around them to keep it small), lip balm, small bottle of hand wash, passes, money, autograph book and pen - yeah it will all fit into 2. I want to buy a mister fan with a shoulder strap. I don't expect to carry water botttles around, nobody wants it once it gets warm. We shop on the way out anyway, besides, no one's allowed to buy anything that's bigger than a suitcase! Hope it works.

We always take a backpack (sometimes 2) and a fanny pack. Camera and easily accessible items go in the fanny pack. Rain gear or jackets go in the backpack. Our backpack is denim and doesn't cause sweating on your back. It slips on & off very easily.

Bob

Hi Queenmo,
We are also an umbrella stroller family. Although we haven't done this at Disney yet, we bought a bag at our local Sam's Wholesale Club that is meant to be used for frozen foods, (only $7). It it a washable surface on the outside and lined for refrigeration on the inside. It really is good sized. We can put cold things in it in and it's like having a cooler with you all day. We also put dry towels in water proof bags and drop them in as well. We don't have to carry it since it slips right over the handles of the stroller. The only down side we have found is that if it gets too heavy it will tip when DD is not in it. My DH solved this with my leg weights. He just wrapped them around the front stroller wheels. I hope this helps you find a solution :)

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

I got a cotton drawstring type backpack from Old Navy last year and really liked it because it wasn't heavy or hot. My friend found one at the Dollar Store as well. If you haven't seen one before the backpack straps cinch the opening closed when you put it on.

We do take a big water bottle since we are going in June. My husband will carry that. We hang it off the stroller when we are in a ride.

I have been going to disney for a long time and have learned that I just don't need to carry so much stuff. I don't have kids, so I realize that those who do need a little bit more. I used to pack bandaid, pain reliever, everything. No, I don't..if I need a bandaid...I go to the first aid station. As for carrying the things that I do bring, I have a little Tigger bag that I cross over one of my shoulders so it in in front of me.it is about 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. I can fit quite a bit in there. It velcros in the front so there is easy access to it. I am able to out a small wallet, camera, extra roll of film, small deoderant, solution for my contacts, a pack of gum or two, and a granloa bar. I have room for my sunglasses when I take them off. i can fit some small purchases, but nothing big. what is also great about it is that my hands are free, I am not hot and I can go on rides easily. I have seen ones similar at Kohl's, Walmart, Target and K-mart.

graciepooh,

We bought one of those frozen food bags from sams as well. I bought it to keep things cool in the room, but you gave me a good idea to carry it in the parks to keep things cool. I like to pack cool drink boxes, etc. We go to the World again in Aug.. If you go before us, let me know how it worked. Thanks for the great idea.

We also pack a clear back pack to carry our stuff in. we hang it on the stroller and never carry it. We even leave it on the stroller when we ride and eat. We do have the problem of the stroller tipping over when our daughter is not in it, but we bought some stroller weights from right start (rightstart.com) that wrap around the bottom and keeps it from falling over now.

Another option could be to buy or rent a double stroller. The child can sit on one side, and the bags on the other. I would do this if i could find a sturdy double stroller at a garage sale or something. My daughter is 5 but very tiny. The only time we ever use the stroller is at Disney. It's not worth paying alot of money for a double if we don't use on a regular basis.

Good luck

Steph

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter