"Baby It's Cold Outside", for modern audiences

Disney clearly thought it was inappropriate. There was a link to the Idina Menzel/Michael Bublé version, which has children in the video lipsyncing to the music. How awkward would have been to have someone underage voice about smoking one more cigarette?

I never said it was a child singer in the Disney special. I was asking about the video for the Menzel/Buble version, which uses child actors. You somehow conflated that with the Disney special, which is when I brought up it was an adult doing the singing.

Actually I think you can see where the conflation took place right here. You raised the issue of Disney finding it inappropriate, along with the Menzel/Buble version. I said I find the lyric change unnecessary. Nor do I need Disney to be the arbiter of what I do or do not find appropriate.

Disney clearly thought it was inappropriate. There was a link to the Idina Menzel/Michael Bublé version, which has children in the video lipsyncing to the music. How awkward would have been to have someone underage voice about smoking one more cigarette?

This whole argument makes zero sense to me. You originally purported the song was about date rape yet the only problem Disney would have with it is a line about a cigarette?!?!
It's just as likely that the singer changed that line herself or perhaps even forgot the line. Disney (and anyone else) is not trying to shield kids from smoking while leaving supposed references to drinking and date rape. The only offensive thing in this entire post is that anyone would ever want to listen to Michael Buble!

This whole argument makes zero sense to me. You originally purported the song was about date rape yet the only problem Disney would have with it is a line about a cigarette?!?!
It's just as likely that the singer changed that line herself or perhaps even forgot the line. Disney (and anyone else) is not trying to shield kids from smoking while leaving supposed references to drinking and date rape. The only offensive thing in this entire post is that anyone would ever want to listen to Michael Buble!

You wound, you wound me. I like me some Buble. I'm very sad that we will not be getting a Buble Christmas special again this year.

There is no way that a singer would insert something that specific simply based on forgetting a line. The audio is in these specials are typically too perfect to be performed live, and of course most of the well known stuff is probably just from studio albums although I'm not sure if they do an actual live version on the set. The other stuff is full of little inside jokes and left mostly as is, but I'm certain that leaving out that line about smoking was deliberate.

A couple of people got together to "redo" the lyrics to make it less controversial.

As you can tell from the comments, it wasn't that well received.
That is a travesty. Hideous. Pathetic. And those are the good points.

Then I'll be more direct. How appropriate do you believe that having a child voice having "just a cigarette more" would be?
How would any of the song sung by a chid be appropriate? Am I missing something?

I love that movie too! I also love the song and don't consider it a "date rape" song at all.

For those who have not seen the movie, wait until the second part of the song when Red Skelton sings it.

My main question about all this is if Ricardo Montalban's couch is actually made of real Corinthian leather?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter