"Baby It's Cold Outside", for modern audiences

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
As I was watching a performance of Baby It's Cold Outside for the Disney Parks' Magical Holiday Celebration, I was coming across that one line that might seem a little bit controversial for modern audiences.

Say what's in this drink?

I guess that line suggests that the guy is trying to give her alcohol disguised as an innocent beverage, or maybe that he's slipped a Mickey in there. Of course the whole song is filled with lyrics suggesting date rape. And what the heck is a "maiden aunt"?

I guess Frank Loesser had some other works where a guy is slipping alcohol (a rum spiked dulce de leche in Guys and Dolls) to a woman without her understanding what it was.

As I was watching a performance of Baby It's Cold Outside for the Disney Parks' Magical Holiday Celebration, I was coming across that one line that might seem a little bit controversial for modern audiences.

I guess that line suggests that the guy is trying to give her alcohol disguised as an innocent beverage, or maybe that he's slipped a Mickey in there. Of course the whole song is filled with lyrics suggesting date rape. And what the heck is a "maiden aunt"?

I guess Frank Loesser had some other works where a guy is slipping alcohol (a rum spiked dulce de leche in Guys and Dolls) to a woman without her understanding what it was.

There's a lot of controversy about the whole song lately. I've never been a fan of that song - the whole thing just gives me a kind of creepy vibe.

Love the song, love the movie (Neptune's Daughter), love the line " my maiden aunt's mind is vicious" ( I picture Miss Gulch from Oz). One of my favorite versions is by Glee's Kurt and Blaine. And of course, there's Ella's.

It's a damn shame some stations have banned it from their Christmas playlists.

Last edited:

Seriously? It's a song written how many years ago? It was meant to be a funny, playful song.

If you want to go down that road, you can pick hundreds, thousands of songs, TV shows, movies etc...that have "implications" of date rape, racism, violence, or just generally non-2017 "P.C." things. Three Stoogies, Bugs Bunny, etc...

I love the song.

I think the tumblr post referenced in the linked article explains my feelings baout the song pretty well---you have to listen to it in context of the time it was written and inthe tone it was originally sung.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuens...f-baby-its-col?utm_term=.rlxvYJarG#.rrN2P5zAW
Yes, but people hate to actually THINK about things in historical context. It's so much easier to say you've been triggered and go straight to, "I'm offended! Ban it!" Thinking takes effort.

I like it, just heard it on the radio today. I have heard people refer to it as the "date rape" song, but you have to look at when it was written. The term "maiden aunt" screams of a different era. LOL.

It was written in a time of innocence when staying at a gentlemen's house too long was scandalous. He tries to get her to stay and she is being coy.

I don't like the song..but that's actually because of the movie Elf lol. I don't like that version and many times that's the version they seem to play on the radio and so I've grown to just not like the song.

Maybe I am crazy but I swear I never even heard this song until Zooey sung it in Elf. Was it played on the radio before that? I am 46 and really can't remember hearing it growing up! I do like it, but did think it odd than an old song would talk about a young woman staying at a man's place alone.

I understand the song was written in a different time period, but listening to it today...it's creepy. Sorry not sorry. It literally sounds like a holiday episode of Law & Order SVU. :rotfl:

I'm not going to stand outside and protest it by any means, but it's definitely not my favorite Christmas song.

It's currently one of my favorite Christmas songs, but I freely admit to being biased--My cellist (DD14) and my violinist (DS11) play it as a duet. It's their "signature song", which is to say, the duet that sounds the most natural and they've put the most work into.

I think people are reading way, way too much into it. I love the "Elf" version--it's my favorite part of the movie. And I'm not much of a Zooey Deschanel fan.

I know that song. I like it. The only lyrics I pay any attention to are, Baby It’s Cold Outside.

If I like something, nothing anyone who's against it can say is gonna affect me. Especially concerning a pop song from World War II. Especially when I understand the context. I'm not sorry at all for my view. Today's lyrics and meanings I find much more disturbing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter