• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avoiding Blisters....how?

Crazy4mandms

Addicted to WDW and proud of it!
I know the consensus seems to be to wear a worn in pair of sneakers, however, I would love to opt for sandals or some other type of shoes that will dry quickly on some of the wetter rides but leave us without blisters....any suggestions on cheap to moderately priced shoes that will fit the bill on this? I see Tava or Timerland brands ...any good?

I always carry a backpack so if I were you asking this question I would carry a pair of water shoes in the backpack. When it was time for a water ride take off my sneakers and put on the water shoes.

I would love to be able to wear a pair of sandals all day long, but I am afraid of the blisters also. I may order a pair of Nike Strap Runners and try them out before the trip. I have heard good things about them also.

I wear Sandals, I like Clarks Springer Sandals, I don't know if you can get them in the USA though.
I usually spray my feet with an antipersperant to stop them sweating, and I try and wear different shoes each day, so sandals one day, trainers another, and we have had no problems with blisters.

Bev

i have a pair of the nike strap runners and the a very comfortable and great for very long periods of walking like walking on air

I am very blister prone and last time we went (in July no less!) I tried the spray deodrant trick and it worked! No blisters! Amazing for me!

I'd have to second the Nike's DH, DS, and myself all had a pair on our last trip and not ONE blister. They are extremely comfortable and adjustable.

After reading some comments on this board I went and bought some Nike strap runners and some Teva sandals. I think the Nike sandals are by far the most comfortable! They are styled differently but the Tevas just don't have that "bounce" like the Nikes! :)

is that what they are offically called: Nike Strap Runners? Cuz I have been trying to find them online and can't ...could u pls tell me their official name if u know.

Crazy4mandms ---- I have found them at www.niketown.com and www.footlocker.com. I kept coming up empty on my searches as well, but found that the problem lied within the way you search the individual web sites. Search Straprunners vs. Strap Runners.

i read some where if you put deoderant on the bottom of your feet it helps!!

It might look cheezy, goofy, or just outright crazy to some, but if you're gonna wear sandals, wear a pair of socks with them (If you'll be wearing them all day) and that will also help prevent blisters.

Well, I'm off to the mall to look for a pair of staprunners or Tevas...Thanks for all the advice! I think we will wear the sandals with no socks but bring socks to the park with us in case we start "feeling the rub"..what a great idea! My kids will laugh tho cuz one of my pet peeves is to see them wearing socks with sandals! But we will be at WDW/UNV for a total of 10 days and I just don't want blisters to interfere with the magic of it all!! Now, if I could just figure out how to get rid of the calories in the food at MK!!!;)

but if you're gonna wear sandals, wear a pair of socks with them

no, no, no I think I'd rather have a blister:rolleyes:

call me a fashion victim if you want, I don't care.

I wore tennis shoes in WDW for years, switching off pairs every day. A couple of trips ago I bought the Nike Straprunners per this board, and they are WONDERFUL!!! You also do need to break them in a little bit, I had a tender spot on the tops of my feet for about a week, but that went away. You can get them at Dick's Sporting goods, about $30. I also got dh some, he loves them as well. They are not ultra fashionable, but considering the comfort they are terrific. The Teva's didn't even compare, and they were much more expensive. Teva's may also only come in whole sizes...I THINK Straprunners come in half and whole, although they run a little large, mine are a smaller size than usual. I don't do anything to my feet when I wear them. I would worry about putting antiperspirant on my feet...is that healthy? It is natural for feet to sweat. But then again I suppose it is natural for underarms to sweat, too. The straprunners are great!

Originally posted by LMHB
You can get them at Dick's Sporting goods, about $30. I also got dh some, he loves them as well.

Two questions:
I searched the nike link and the foot locker link and these were running $40. I found Dick's sporting goods online but couldn't find the straprunners. Are they online for $30?

Also, I bought my DH Teva's (at great expense I might add) and he HATES them! Do these fit differently? Do you think I should try these for him? For $30 it would be worth a try.

Hey Now!!!! Im wearing my sandals with socks right now!! LOL Im trying to break them in for my trip in 6 days... the socks stretch them out a bit and make them more comfy!! Dont make fun.............. :rolleyes: Shay

I bought mine last year from Dick's, not online but the store itself (we have 2 around here). Dh bought his fairly recently (last fall?) Anyway, I do remember when looking that to order them from Nike they were more expensive! You might want to try actually calling a Dick's store, maybe they don't have all the shoes listed online (?). Dh had Teva's years ago and liked them OK, he really does love these, though. Good luck!

Well, I went to EMS and got a pair of Northern Face sandals...are they comfy!!! And got Columbias for the kids....I've been breaking them int he last few days but they feel great!! Just a note...EMS is having a sale this weekend 20% the entire store!! Hope this helps and thanks to all for the advice!!

I read about moleskin padding on this web site before my most recent trip to WDW. I, too, didn't want to wear tennis shoes; I only wanted to wear my sandals. As a matter of fact, crazy me, I didn't even pack my tennis shoes. My sandals are Bass and they have always been so comfortable. I didn't think that I would have any trouble. Was I wrong!!!!! My blisters started forming the first day!!!! We had 7 day passes so I knew I was in trouble. I remembered reading about the moleskin on the Dis boards. I went to our Disney resort and tried the gift shop. They did have the moleskin. I swear by it!!!! It really works!!!!!! You find it by the bandaids, corn pads, etc. It is a velveteen-feeling pad. You cut out the shape that best fits your painful area. The padding then acts as a buffer to the rubbing. The best idea is to buy it and wear it BEFORE the blister ever forms if you know the sensitive areas ahead of time. I didn't do that though because my sandals had always been so comfortable.
Of course, you will pay more for it in WDW so if I were you I would buy it from Walmart or some other store BEFORE your trip. Pack it in your backpack for the park--along with the scissors to cut out---and be prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter