Auto Train Coach Seats - Upper or Lower Level?

Stitch'sCousin

DIS Veteran
We are looking at taking the auto train from Sanford to Lorton for the first time in August. There will be 5 of us (2 adults, 3 kids - 6, 9, 12) so the cost of sleeping accomodations is prohibitive. This is a quick question for anybody who has used coach seating on the auto train. Would you recommend the upper level coach or lower level coach seats? (Both are currently available) Thanks for your input:thumbsup2

Hi,

I just did the auto train one way from Lorton to Orlando on May 19th. There were two of us, myself and 20 year old daughter. We were in coach upper level, there are more seats upper level, the bathrooms are located on the first level.
By the way the food was very good. For dinner I had the chicken meal it came with rice and green beans, my daughter had the vegatable lasagna. There were rolls, ice tea, wine and ice water for drinks, and for dessert I had cheesecake with strawberries and coffee. The breakfast was two types of cereal, bagels, muffins, banana, orange juice, coffee and tea. If you have any questions let me know.

Donna:)

We sat in the upper seats. We had "heard" that sometimes the lower portions of the cars start to become a little stinky because the restrooms are on that level, so we opted for the upper level.

Upper level was fine, just be prepared because the cars can really sway at times, and the people on the upper levels can feel the sway more than the people on the bottom levels.

Thanks, I'd heard about the swaying motion. Does anybody know if there is a lot of smell from the bathrooms if you are sitting in the lower level on the auto train?

Though we have not been on the AT, we have had regular Amtrak upper and lower cars......we prefer the upper....seems more sound proffed than the lower and the lower seemed more dirty, unattended than the upper...plus the restrooms are down there and can get smelly after a time....it is for the handicapped though but we were asked if we wanted to sit there....but wouldn't again....not the same cozy feeling like being in the upper level and to get from car to car...travel only from the upper level and you'll hardly see the attendant in the lower level....as for sway feeling...never gave it a thought....upper was fine for us...

I hate to fly (throw up nearly every flight).
We were on the upper level in coach on the Autotrain and the gentle sway did not make me queasy at all. On the southbound trek, it did seem to be a bit more bumpy. Not sure how that would compare to the lower level.
The bathrooms were in definite need of attention by morning.

We are also heading south in Aug too! We have upper level seats. Never had lower level seating. One time we got the handicap room with the toilet in the room and that was stinky! plus there was too many of us in the room to sleep good. On to your ?. I know there is a door that closes off the lower level seating area. In using the restrooms I didnt' find them stinky. Though one trip they made an announcement not to put anything but toilet paper down the toilets. I always thought that lower level was reserved for handicap.

when are u traveling? we are returning for our 8th and 9th roundtrip this summer. We will be on in just over 3 wks heading to the beach and then again in Aug for WDW.

We enjoy the upper level. I think the view is better- not that there is alot to see. It can get really rocky. DH and I have a running joke that the workers must have been drinking when they were laying the track. Dinner when the train is swaying is rather interesting!

Let me know if I can help at all.

We have taken the Autotrain 3 times. First time we had upper level coach seats and the next two times we had lower level coach seats. I prefer the lower level because it seems more quiet and private. I think there are only 12 seats on the lower level in each car. People can't walk from car to car on the lower level, so there is no traffic through the car. You do not have to have a disability to reserve lower level seats. And, there is a door that separates the seating area from area with the stairs and restrooms. I don't recall any problems with the smell in the area where our seats were. My children were older than yours, though, when we rode in the lower level and they were really quiet just listening to iPods or watching a movie on the DVD player with headphones. I think when they were younger, they would have wanted to be around other kids on the train.

Hi, I've taken the auto train several times and have never noticed a smell from the bathrooms. Also, I don't think there is much difference between the upper and lower level. What did bother me was the people around me who talked LOUDLY all night long, or played music or who talked in their sleep. You will not get a good night's rest in coach, but I agree it is alot cheaper. I would also be prepared for the movement of the train. It doesn't sway side to side, it bangs and bumps. It can be quite jolting.

On the upside, it is so nice to get to Florida without having to drive, but still have your car. The food is quite good and the train employees are always very nice. A family friendly movie is usually shown in the lower level. I've had many Yahtzee tournaments on the train with my family and friends that you meet and it is always alot of fun. My son still talks fondly about our trips on the auto train. I always felt like it was an adventure and was so happy that I didn't have to do all the driving :)

My dd and I have taken the AT a few times staying on both levels in coach as well as the sleepette. Here's my take...in coach we were on the upper level and yes there is a bit of swaying. On the way down (Fri) it was really crowded and no room to spread out so sleep was not comfortable at all. The bathrooms on were on the lower level and while there was a smell, it was nothing compared to the regular amtrak (Boston-Miami). We've done that one also and I vowed "never again". Back to the AT, one the way back from Sanford (Tues), our car was virtually empty which made relaxing and sleeping a much better experience.

Last December, we took the AT using the sleepette, I stayed on the bottom "bunk" and could definitely feel the wheels of the train bumping along on the track. I eventually went to sleep but I would not call it restful. On the way back, we were placed upstairs and while I did not feel the "wheel/rail" bumpiness, I definitely felt the sway and jarring of the train. Each time I drifted off, the train would jar and wake me up again. That said, my DD(15) slept like a log on both legs of the trip. The bathrooms on the sleeper side were not odor free (I believe that is just the nature of the train) but they were usable.

The food on both trips was decent. I am thinking about using the AT again for a 2012 trip, probably will do coach unless I can get a fab deal on a sleeper. Hope this helps.

Hello everyone,

I will be riding the AT for the first time in August. It will be me, my husband and three of my kids. We have not booked a roomette yet....still thinking about it.. Can you reserve the upper or lower coach seat ahead of time? Still trying to decide what would be best. Also....where are the sockets to charge your cell phone or lap top in the coach section? Not sure if there are sockets near the seats. I am so nervous about taking the train, but the price was right and we are really on a budget now.

Any advice would be great.

You can book the lower level online ahead of time. My advise it to go for the lower level if you have 3 kids. We did this a few years ago with our three kids and only had one other person in the area with us. It was kind of like being on your own private train without the expense. The kids got to stretch out on their own seat to sleep at night. We also had electrical outlets available to us which we used to plug in a portable DVD player we brought along to entertain our kids.:thumbsup2

I wasn't too sure of the difference between the upper and the lower seats. Should I be worried about any odors from the bathroom?

We didn't notice anything on our trip. We spent time upstairs as well for dinner and then again when they showed the movie.

I am finally warming up to the first trip on the Auto train. The Amtrak goes by my office often. I can see the train go by several times per day....now I'm wishing I was on one of those trains! :cool1:

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone has any other input on upper vs. lower coach seats. We would be a party of 8, traveling south on the Auto Train on a Friday in late September. I'm assuming this is a lighter season (too late for major theme park traffic, too early for snowbirds...?) and that the train may not be at its capacity for passengers. My thought is that, if what I'm reading is correct and the lower level cars only seat 12, if the train is not full, perhaps we would have a car to ourselves? (I'm thinking in terms of my kids not being a nuisance to other passengers. They are well-mannered, but any 3yo will get antsy after being in the same place for 18hrs!)

Any input would be appreciated! I did glance over the main Auto Train thread but it goes back almost 10 years and it's 92 pages long -- way too much to take in!

My advice is to definitely book the lower level. There is a good chance you will have the space to yourself and it will be much easier taking the 3yo to the bathroom than going downstairs. At night you will have a much quieter area too, so you can actually get some sleep.

Another question -- do you think I should purchase a ticket for the baby? She'll be 15mos at the time of the trip, so she doesn't need a seat, but I don't think I want to hold her (or pass her around from adult to adult) the entire trip, either. Should I gamble on their being an empty seat in our car, or not take our chances?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter