• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Australian cruise protocols

Hi, have you checked in yet, did DCL ask to see vaccine requirements?
I checked in a few days ago. Approval is still pending but i did get my Port arrival document. Today I checked to see if approval for my information and photos was still pending. My reservation is missing so I called DCL and CM had me try to re-add it. It still doesn't upload. She noted that and said that they are having problems with other Honolulu to Sydney Reservations and recommended I try back in a few days.

Who coughs once or twice? No. Who is hacking up consistently or showing signs of illness? Yes, I'd report them to a crew member. I'd do the same for any viral infection but certainly one that places people at serious risk.
My poor wife has had a deep hacking cough for 4+ years now. After more than a dozen doctors visits, tests out the wazoo, and two surgeries, it is better, but she still has it. When she is out in public and has a coughing spell she constantly has people glare at her, move away, pull their filthy useless mask out of their pocket/purse and put it on, etc. The really hysterical covidians tell her to put a mask on or try to give her a mask. She declines and tells them, "I'm not sick, I have throat cancer." People can take whatever precautions they think are right for them, just leave the rest of us alone. Covid is now endemic, it is here to stay like the common cold and influenza, and people have to make a decision, live in constant fear, or live.

When she is out in public and has a coughing spell she constantly has people glare at her, move away, pull their filthy useless mask out of their pocket/purse and put it on, etc. . . . People can take whatever precautions they think are right for them, just leave the rest of us alone.
You seem to contradict yourself. You seem to sneer at people pulling out their "filthy useless masks," but then say people can take whatever precautions are right for themselves. So which is it?

I totally agree that not every cough is something contagious, and I also think it's rude of people to tell your wife to put a mask on. However, if I'm out in public and someone near me is coughing, I will put on my mask. No nasty faces, no comments, etc., but I want to protect myself. I don't know what that person has (is it contagious or not?) and based on the attitudes many people exuded during the pandemic, I don't trust others to take precautions to protect others when they know they have something contagious. That's not anything against your wife personally, just people in general. So will do what I can to protect myself.

I checked in a few days ago. Approval is still pending but i did get my Port arrival document. Today I checked to see if approval for my information and photos was still pending. My reservation is missing so I called DCL and CM had me try to re-add it. It still doesn't upload. She noted that and said that they are having problems with other Honolulu to Sydney Reservations and recommended I try back in a few days.
I am glad I read this, as my booking window opened up yesterday for my second Brisbane cruise and the app has been having issues loading the availablity for all adult dining, etc. Tried to log into the website, but both my reservations have disappeared, tried to reenter and just keep getting error messages. Will keep trying.

You seem to contradict yourself. You seem to sneer at people pulling out their "filthy useless masks," but then say people can take whatever precautions are right for themselves. So which is it?
Much as I'm also scratching my head at this one, lets all please remember to we aren't here to argue about masks. Lets just move on please.

I totally agree that not every cough is something contagious, and I also think it's rude of people to tell your wife to put a mask on. However, if I'm out in public and someone near me is coughing, I will put on my mask. No nasty faces, no comments, etc., but I want to protect myself. I don't know what that person has (is it contagious or not?) and based on the attitudes many people exuded during the pandemic, I don't trust others to take precautions to protect others when they know they have something contagious. That's not anything against your wife personally, just people in general. So will do what I can to protect myself.
No, no contradiction. If wearing a mask makes you feel better, if moving to the other side of the room makes you feel safer, please do. But don't glare at me, huff and puff as you scurry away from me, and don't try to make me alter my behavior because you are afraid.

As for the filthy useless masks, the vast majority of masks I still see in use are filthy, obviously weeks or even months old, and worn improperly.

My poor wife has had a deep hacking cough for 4+ years now. After more than a dozen doctors visits, tests out the wazoo, and two surgeries, it is better, but she still has it. When she is out in public and has a coughing spell she constantly has people glare at her, move away, pull their filthy useless mask out of their pocket/purse and put it on, etc. The really hysterical covidians tell her to put a mask on or try to give her a mask. She declines and tells them, "I'm not sick, I have throat cancer." People can take whatever precautions they think are right for them, just leave the rest of us alone. Covid is now endemic, it is here to stay like the common cold and influenza, and people have to make a decision, live in constant fear, or live.
You can live and still take precautions as people deem necessary. Many people - myself included - have family members who are serious risk of any respiratory illness. That includes Covid or the flu. People aren't 'not living'. I'm sorry about your wife but if she has cancer, she's at extremely high risk of serious health complications of any illness, especially the flu or Covid. We are taking ongoing precautions, from minimising contact, testing, mask wearing when out, having anyone who visits test and mask in our home. We don't want to cause our family such a serious illness that they die, which they might do if they were to catch any respiratory illness. Living in constant fear is not the same as taking ongoing precautions to prevent serious illness.

You can live and still take precautions as people deem necessary. Many people - myself included - have family members who are serious risk of any respiratory illness. That includes Covid or the flu. People aren't 'not living'. I'm sorry about your wife but if she has cancer, she's at extremely high risk of serious health complications of any illness, especially the flu or Covid. We are taking ongoing precautions, from minimising contact, testing, mask wearing when out, having anyone who visits test and mask in our home. We don't want to cause our family such a serious illness that they die, which they might do if they were to catch any respiratory illness. Living in constant fear is not the same as taking ongoing precautions to prevent serious illness.
Well said. I have an autoimmune disease calling Lupus luckily mine is controlled, but since being diagnosed in 2018. We believe it took 5 years to be diagnosed once symptoms started. I try not to get sick with Covid, flu, cold etc. unfortunately I don’t think people have enough respect for those of us with invisible illnesses or things like that.

I wears a mask and do what I can for me and others. I hope for the same respect which means don’t tell me masks don’t work. I got Covid once when traveling on Wish. It was worth it, but I wasn’t wearing mask as often as I could have

But again not fear safe for myself personally and enjoying life

Well said. I have an autoimmune disease calling Lupus luckily mine is controlled, but since being diagnosed in 2018. We believe it took 5 years to be diagnosed once symptoms started. I try not to get sick with Covid, flu, cold etc. unfortunately I don’t think people have enough respect for those of us with invisible illnesses or things like that.

I wears a mask and do what I can for me and others. I hope for the same respect which means don’t tell me masks don’t work. I got Covid once when traveling on Wish. It was worth it, but I wasn’t wearing mask as often as I could have

But again not fear safe for myself personally and enjoying life
We are the same. If we can't mask, we wouldn't be able to 'live'. We have family members with autoimmune diseases, I care for a family member who requires oxygen 24/7 and another family member who has Down Syndrome (which is considered a risk for serious health complications for Covid). It doesn't mean we don't leave the house, it's just that we take precautions and ask for certain things for those coming into our home. We're looking forward to going on the cruise, but we will also be testing, masking ect.

I am glad I read this, as my booking window opened up yesterday for my second Brisbane cruise and the app has been having issues loading the availablity for all adult dining, etc. Tried to log into the website, but both my reservations have disappeared, tried to reenter and just keep getting error messages. Will keep trying.
I was able to log in today and my reservation came up. I had to put in a new security picture of myself (Third One). The other two apparently were too dark on one side of my face. DCL accepted one of them previously for our cruise last year. Go figure!

People have started receiving this email from Disney;

View attachment 793534
What a shame. I've spoken to Disney again this morning. If your paid in full date has passed, you are entitled to a full refund due to these changes. Not credit, a full refund.

A few other things they have advised for uncomfortable travellers.

You can request that you sit alone in the dining room. We already have but if you email DCL and explain you are uncomfortable sitting with strangers due to Covid risk, you will be seated alone. We have also been advised that we can speak with the dining room on the first day and arrange to pick up our meals each evening and take it back to our state room if we are too uncomfortable dining in the main dining rooms.

You can request your state room hosts wear masks when cleaning your room. We will also be doing this and increase their tip at the end for the slight inconvenience. We will also wear masks throughout the cruise and Disney has said we can report any abuse we might face to crew. We've been victims to much abuse over the past few years since we have never stopped masking so it is something we are concerned about while onboard.

Disney have also said they will be enforcing testing onboard for anyone who appears unwell and if they test positive, they will be confined to their cabins for the remainder of the cruise or until they test negative. We will continue to test whether we appear healthy or not as we are travelling with someone with an autoimmune disease.

What a shame. I've spoken to Disney again this morning. If your paid in full date has passed, you are entitled to a full refund due to these changes. Not credit, a full refund.

You can request that you sit alone in the dining room. We already have but if you email DCL and explain you are uncomfortable sitting with strangers due to Covid risk, you will be seated alone. We have also been advised that we can speak with the dining room on the first day and arrange to pick up our meals each evening and take it back to our state room if we are too uncomfortable dining in the main dining rooms.

You can request your state room hosts wear masks when cleaning your room. We will also be doing this and increase their tip at the end for the slight inconvenience. We will also wear masks throughout the cruise and Disney has said we can report any abuse we might face to crew. We've been victims to much abuse over the past few years since we have never stopped masking so it is something we are concerned about while onboard.

Disney have also said they will be enforcing testing onboard for anyone who appears unwell and if they test positive, they will be confined to their cabins for the remainder of the cruise or until they test negative. We will continue to test whether we appear healthy or not as we are travelling with someone with an autoimmune disease.
I think Disney is being very generous by giving an option for a full refund. Then you can use the money for whatever you want.

I think Disney is being very generous by giving an option for a full refund. Then you can use the money for whatever you want.
It's the law in Australia, because protocols have changed after the paid in full date. All cruise lines had to offer this once the PIF had passed.

We will be doing the first cruise, we have have several booked for the Australian Season in December, January and February. Then we will decide how comfortable we feel or we do catch Covid after the first cruise. Disney have been great in understanding the needs to their guests, especially those at high risk of complications from illness. Not everyone can afford to simply not worry about pandemic and the risk to their family.

Abuse because you masked? Wow I thought people asking was annoying. Now that’s minor. I have a autoimmune disease(Lupus) so completely understand you masking.

I also am comfortable enough to cruise and got Covid on Wish in April 2023

Abuse because you masked? Wow I thought people asking was annoying. Now that’s minor. I have a autoimmune disease(Lupus) so completely understand you masking.

I also am comfortable enough to cruise and got Covid on Wish in April 2023
Yes, it's quite a problem here. It happens at least a few times a week. You'll just be out and about doing grocery shopping and it happens. We went to a concert last week, first time since January, and sometimes abused us for 'ruining their fun' by masking.

We are concerned but we booked this on the day we could last year and we really don't want to cancel. It sounds like DCL s being very supportive with their chronically ill guests and their carers. We will be in N95s and masked unless we're eating, drinking or swimming so we shall see.

Yes, it's quite a problem here. It happens at least a few times a week. You'll just be out and about doing grocery shopping and it happens. We went to a concert last week, first time since January, and sometimes abused us for 'ruining their fun' by masking.

We are concerned but we booked this on the day we could last year and we really don't want to cancel. It sounds like DCL s being very supportive with their chronically ill guests and their carers. We will be in N95s and masked unless we're eating, drinking or swimming so we shall see.
Honestly on the ship you should have issues with abuse. As long as your not expecting everyone to be masked your fine. I'm sure there will be a few here or there. I for one think I might not have gotten covid if I was more careful, but it was my choice and I was happy for a week 3 Night/4 Night Back-2-Back

We are on the Oct 10 cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. I’m grateful the test is no longer required although I do wish they still required vaccines. We are going to New Zealand after we land in Sydney and vaccines are still required to be shown there once we land. We will be getting the latest booster, which will be available next week, before we go. I have not worn masks in a long time and don’t plan to return to them but I certainly have no problem with others that do. I do feel sorry for those that feel they can’t experience all the pleasures of the boat, like meals in the dining rooms, etc, but that’s got to be an individual decision. We are in our 70s and our only experience with Covid was a minor cold. The same with our daughter. I also plan to bring a few tests just in case. I broke my nose a couple years ago and if I forget my nose spray, my nose runs a lot. And my daughter has Down syndrome and takes allergy pills every day but still experiences a lot of congestion. If others look askance at a sneeze or two or blowing our nose that is on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter