Australian cruise protocols

Habitatnal

Earning My Ears
Last edited:
It looks like Australia will be dropping all vaccination and testing protocols. It hasn’t been finalized but it will be before Disney starts sailing there. Expect to hear from Disney soon about the protocol changes.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/ahppc-statement-advice-to-support-safe-cruising

This website says that NSW will be updating their guidance soon.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/ahppc-statement-advice-to-support-safe-cruising
It's unfortunate. Thankfully you can still wear masks on board, which we will be doing and we will continue to test on board, prior to boarding and post cruise. It's a shame, given how many cruises are having significant outbreaks worldwide. Many cruise ships here are returning with up to 30% positive guests.

It's unfortunate. Thankfully you can still wear masks on board, which we will be doing and we will continue to test on board, prior to boarding and post cruise. It's a shame, given how many cruises are having significant outbreaks worldwide. Many cruise ships here are returning with up to 30% positive guests.
I don’t know where you are getting your information but I have not heard of significant outbreaks on cruise ships. The US dropped protocols 10 months ago and nothing major has happened. Hospitals weren’t overwhelmed and the CDC hasn’t investigated any outbreaks. The CDC has recently investigated Noro outbreaks on cruise ships. Also, hospitalization rates are low in the US right now with no restrictions.

I don’t know where you are getting your information but I have not heard of significant outbreaks on cruise ships. The US dropped protocols 10 months ago and nothing major has happened. Hospitals weren’t overwhelmed and the CDC hasn’t investigated any outbreaks. The CDC has recently investigated Noro outbreaks on cruise ships.
The information has been readily available for all Australian Cruises, because that information legally had to available to the public. We also have access to ongoing information about all Covid outbreaks, how many people have tested positive for Covid, those in hospital and those who died from Covid as well. We regularly have ships that have returned to Sydney and Melbourne with anywhere between 10 to 30% positive rates. Australia had a huge scandal after an outbreak just prior to the initial Covid outbreak in 2020 that almost had our state government kicked out

Further information is coming out now. It's still being recommended by the CDNA that vaccination requirements and masks remain in place, despite the enforceable protocols potentially changing. Until Disney themselves release a statement, I wouldn't assume the vaccination and mask requirements have been dropped just yet. Many other cruises companies that operate within Australia have said they are continuing to require masks and vaccinations including Virgin. Carnival and P&O for now.

"On Friday, the AHPPC rescinded the current Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) Cruise Guidelines and issued new advice around cruising.

The committee did note that cruise ships remain a “higher risk setting for communicable disease” and that cruise operators can help reduce the risk, including by managing staff health, encouraging passengers and crew to stay up to date with vaccinations and by promptly identifying and controlling outbreaks. "

I don’t know where you are getting your information but I have not heard of significant outbreaks on cruise ships. The US dropped protocols 10 months ago and nothing major has happened. Hospitals weren’t overwhelmed and the CDC hasn’t investigated any outbreaks. The CDC has recently investigated Noro outbreaks on cruise ships. Also, hospitalization rates are low in the US right now with no restrictions.
where have you been? Between here, my FB groups for other sailings and over on CC, all my recent cruises have had MANY gotten sick. Nothing is reported as people dont report when they are sick. 4 of the 5 of us got it on our last cruise cruise last August, I just got it again 2 weeks ago. Every cruise group I am in has a significant number who report " oops we werent feeling 100% so we tested we when we got home and guess what!" I am ball parking 50 per group at least. I know of many others not online who got covid after a cruise.

In a nutshell, dont be shocked if you get covid while sailing. In most cases its a mild cold maybe one or two days really off if you are lucky. My advice is if you are going this this sailing which is long. 1. make sure you have insurance 2. pack OTC medications to make your easier if you get sick.

As I said I just got it 2 weeks ago so I hope I am all good for the Vancouver to Hawaii sailing. Unfortunately my Mom's number is up and I hope it doesnt happen while sailing.

what makes me nervous is the fact that numbers are spiking globally again. I am all for no more covid restrictions but I hope this doesnt change things.

where have you been? Between here, my FB groups for other sailings and over on CC, all my recent cruises have had MANY gotten sick. Nothing is reported as people dont report when they are sick. 4 of the 5 of us got it on our last cruise cruise last August, I just got it again 2 weeks ago. Every cruise group I am in has a significant number who report " oops we werent feeling 100% so we tested we when we got home and guess what!" I am ball parking 50 per group at least. I know of many others not online who got covid after a cruise.

In a nutshell, dont be shocked if you get covid while sailing. In most cases its a mild cold maybe one or two days really off if you are lucky. My advice is if you are going this this sailing which is long. 1. make sure you have insurance 2. pack OTC medications to make your easier if you get sick.

As I said I just got it 2 weeks ago so I hope I am all good for the Vancouver to Hawaii sailing. Unfortunately my Mom's number is up and I hope it doesnt happen while sailing.

what makes me nervous is the fact that numbers are spiking globally again. I am all for no more covid restrictions but I hope this doesnt change things.
We've had significant outbreaks here in Australia. One cruise ship last year came back with 800 positive passengers onboard. Cruising is always a risky setting for any virus outbreak, which is why they don't even let you board with gastro symptoms. One of our last cruises, there was an outbreak of gastro on board. It happens and Covid is no different. If there is a significant outbreak on board for Covid, the crew go back into masks. We will be in N95s as much as possible and testing before, during and afterwards.

Further information is coming out now. It's still being recommended by the CDNA that vaccination requirements and masks remain in place, despite the enforceable protocols potentially changing. Until Disney themselves release a statement, I wouldn't assume the vaccination and mask requirements have been dropped just yet. Many other cruises companies that operate within Australia have said they are continuing to require masks and vaccinations including Virgin. Carnival and P&O for now.

"On Friday, the AHPPC rescinded the current Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) Cruise Guidelines and issued new advice around cruising.

The committee did note that cruise ships remain a “higher risk setting for communicable disease” and that cruise operators can help reduce the risk, including by managing staff health, encouraging passengers and crew to stay up to date with vaccinations and by promptly identifying and controlling outbreaks. "
Princess and P and O dropped vaccination and testing protocols. Look at their website. Give it a few more days and all the cruise lines will drop protocols since other ones are doing it.

We are on the Oct 13 sailing from Honolulu to Sydney and we’re told we needed to test beforehand. I’m hoping that is dropped. We have had Covid before. For all of us a mild cold that lasted a day or two. I hope to get the latest booster before we leave. While I believe Covid is still an issue for many, it’s impossible for the world to shut down again. We are learning to live with it and will have to, just like we live with the flu and noro. I’ve been on a few cruises where I soent 24 hours in bed and the bathroom from the noro virus. For me i would much rather have Covid.

Please don’t respond with angry notes. Everyone has to deal with it in their own way. Im not the least bit offended by those who wear masks or take other steps. I believe in Covid and vaccines. And I’ve known several people who tragically died in the early days. But I think the reality is such that the world has to adapt and move on. And we have to deal with it in our own way.

Princess and P and O dropped vaccination and testing protocols. Look at their website. Give it a few more days and all the cruise lines will drop protocols since other ones are doing it.
P&O still require testing up until the end of September. I know people that are sailing on there and that's been confirmed via phone and email. Virgin and Carnival are keeping requirements in place for now, thankfully and after speaking to them recently, they have said they won't be changing their decision regardless of the change in NSW legislation,

Some might. Some won't. Thankfully people can continue to mask onboard and hopefully people won't sail while Covid positive and placing people at risk. We will continue to test and will isolate even on board and notify crew if we test positive. We will wear N95s and that is the current recommendation that masking and vaccinations remain a requirement. It's a shame that money is influencing governments to make these decisions and not education and common sense.

We are on the Oct 13 sailing from Honolulu to Sydney and we’re told we needed to test beforehand. I’m hoping that is dropped. We have had Covid before. For all of us a mild cold that lasted a day or two. I hope to get the latest booster before we leave. While I believe Covid is still an issue for many, it’s impossible for the world to shut down again. We are learning to live with it and will have to, just like we live with the flu and noro. I’ve been on a few cruises where I soent 24 hours in bed and the bathroom from the noro virus. For me i would much rather have Covid.

Please don’t respond with angry notes. Everyone has to deal with it in their own way. Im not the least bit offended by those who wear masks or take other steps. I believe in Covid and vaccines. And I’ve known several people who tragically died in the early days. But I think the reality is such that the world has to adapt and move on. And we have to deal with it in our own way.
Individuals do need to deal with it their own way - as long as they're not knowingly infecting others. I would hope if someone was on the cruise and knew they had Covid, they would test and isolate. I'd certainly report anyone I thought had Covid or any illness to crew and crew will ask people showing visible signs of Covid to test.

Also, under the new protcols, crew can still make passengers take a Covid test at anytime and must report any Covid cases on board before docking or during the cruise. If more than 10% of people on board (crew or passengers) test positive, masks must be worn by everyone on board and random Covid testing can still take place. All of this information is available from the Eastern Seaboard updated information. So thankfully not all protocols have been abandoned.

P&O still require testing up until the end of September. I know people that are sailing on there and that's been confirmed via phone and email. Virgin and Carnival are keeping requirements in place for now, thankfully and after speaking to them recently, they have said they won't be changing their decision regardless of the change in NSW legislation,

Some might. Some won't. Thankfully people can continue to mask onboard and hopefully people won't sail while Covid positive and placing people at risk. We will continue to test and will isolate even on board and notify crew if we test positive. We will wear N95s and that is the current recommendation that masking and vaccinations remain a requirement. It's a shame that money is influencing governments to make these decisions and not education and common sense.
Princess no longer mentions Australian protocols in their website.

P & O has dropped vaccination/testing protocols.

https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-go/healthy-cruising

Celebrity has dropped protocols as well.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/healthy-at-sea

Carnival has dropped protocols.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuxIWV0vRhSaqmW5913FRsWia3-S3di4/view?usp=drivesdk

On the Virgin website it doesn’t mention Australia but I’m assuming that they are going to drop protocols because they don’t have any requirements anywhere else in the world.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuxIWV0vRhSaqmW5913FRsWia3-S3di4/view?usp=drivesdk

On the Virgin website it doesn’t mention Australia but I’m assuming that they are going to drop protocols because they don’t have any requirements anywhere else in the world.
Thank you for this!

I don't know where you are getting your information either. We are in a spike in the U.S., which fortunately, so far has not hit cruise ships. I think the reality is that the possibility of covid restrictions returning will be with us for many years to come.
https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/1190...-have-started-in-the-u-s-according-to-the-cdc

I don't know where you are getting your information either. We are in a spike in the U.S., which fortunately, so far has not hit cruise ships. I think the reality is that the possibility of covid restrictions returning will be with us for many years to come.
https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/1190...-have-started-in-the-u-s-according-to-the-cdc
What I meant by a significant outbreak on a cruise ship is if many people were hospitalized and large enough people tested positive that the CDC investigated the cruise ship. Restrictions on cruise ships out of the US have been dropped for 10 months. I doubt they will return. You can travel to most countries around the world without any testing/vaccinations. You can now cruise anywhere except China without restrictions.

I've spoken to Disney directly today. They will be continuing to encourage mask wearing on board and performing surveillance testing to both crew and passengers. Any passenger who tests positive will be isolated to their cabin (thankfully!). If there is an outbreak amongst crew, all crew will return to mask wearing and and announcement will be made to recommend masks be worn by passengers. In the event of an outbreak, you will no longer be able to serve yourself at Cabanas/ice cream ect either. This will apparently be the updated policy and was confirmed today directly with DCL. It's not great but it's a something in place, given what a petri dish Cruise ships are for viruses. Will be interesting to see the email they decide to send out.

What I meant by a significant outbreak on a cruise ship is if many people were hospitalized and large enough people tested positive that the CDC investigated the cruise ship. Restrictions on cruise ships out of the US have been dropped for 10 months. I doubt they will return. You can travel to most countries around the world without any testing/vaccinations. You can now cruise anywhere except China without restrictions.
Australia has had investigations into Cruise ship outbreaks several times in the past 12 months.

I've spoken to Disney directly today. They will be continuing to encourage mask wearing on board and performing surveillance testing to both crew and passengers. Any passenger who tests positive will be isolated to their cabin (thankfully!). If there is an outbreak amongst crew, all crew will return to mask wearing and and announcement will be made to recommend masks be worn by passengers. In the event of an outbreak, you will no longer be able to serve yourself at Cabanas/ice cream ect either. This will apparently be the updated policy and was confirmed today directly with DCL. It's not great but it's a something in place, given what a petri dish Cruise ships are for viruses. Will be interesting to see the email they decide to send out.
Did they confirm no testing before boarding???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter