Aunty’s Beach Club

Maybe they could pre-plan spots for up to 10 kids for a 2 hour time slots depending on the no of days of stay. You get a 2 hour time spot per kid for every 2 days of stay. That way they could manage the time slots and occupancy better. They had something similar where we had to pre-register and sign up for free activities during our trip in 2017. Honestly, those were the only times we used Auntys. We felt, we could do something’s that grown ups wanted to do while the kids are kept entertained as well. I agree with others sentiments, they are using the pandemic as an excuse for cutting costs rather than look at creative ways of accommodating guests of all the services.

I agree with others sentiments, they are using the pandemic as an excuse for cutting costs rather than look at creative ways of accommodating guests of all the services.
I definitely agree with this. I think Disney is going this way with all of their venues- using this as an opportunity to get rid of things that have a lot of cost but bring little revenue to them. That being said, Aunty's is definitely a decision making factor for my family- my kids tried it once and didn't care for it. We didn't make them return, as we love our family vacations and this was the only time during any of them that we have had our kids try something we were not a part of.

I’m one of the few posters whose kids hated Aunty’s - in our 6 visits, they only ever went twice. They had more fun playing with each other (there’s 3 of them and only 4 years between the oldest and youngest) plus they always made new friends each day at the beach and pools.

I’m just lost on why the Four Seasons is ok to deal with it for the sake of their guest but not Disney. After a year where the kids haven’t had as much fun and connection as they are used to, having a kids club would be really a nice treat for them.

The Marriott has their kids club closed as well. As a teacher, I shudder right now at the thought of young children who are not only different families, but different parts of the country, being in close proximity of one another.

Yes, you must have a negative COVID test 3 days before arrival, but there is still a chance that a person has been exposed to COVID and is not testing positive at that time. In our area, day cares have been hot spots and have had to close and have students quarantine. Yes there has been spread amongst the children. A co-workers 3-year old DD brought COVID into their home and shared with the entire family.

A lot of other indoor children's activity centers on Oahu are open - Kid City in Kapolei and Ward, Funtastic Kidzone in Pearlridge, the bouncing place in Ala Moana, etc. I think it's Disney, not the city/state, that's stopping Aunty's from opening. Maybe the staff was let go?

Yea, I think they did lay off a lot of their employee. I thought I read somewhere recently that they were bringing a bunch of their employees back. That would be wonderful if they are and if Auntys can open back up.

Yea, I think they did lay off a lot of their employee. I thought I read somewhere recently that they were bringing a bunch of their employees back. That would be wonderful if they are and if Auntys can open back up.
Everything I am going to say is based on recent observations and is unofficial. As far as employees coming back, yes that is happening. Yesterday when I was asking a cast member about the in person painting classes, I was told that the person in charge just came back from furlough and they are working out how to bring things back. Animation classes including streaming to the room is in the works. While regulations and logistics are a consideration and cost is also an issue, staffing is a major obstacle that is beginning to be resolved. I spent a few hours outside the conference center yesterday waiting for my room to be ready - we were switching rooms. There were cast member trainings for new and returning cast members. They seem to be trying to bring back experiences rather than trying to cut things permanently.

Aunty's Beach House is far more than a place to "dump" one's kids to have someone else deal with them. I don't know if you meant it this way, but that comes across really judgmental and preachy. My family has always made time for family activities and "apart" activities at Aulani, and my children adore their time at Aunty's. They get to do crafts, play unique games, see characters and performers, and in general have a wonderful time. We will not travel to Aulani with it not being open--despite what you say about how much else there is to do, my kids would absolutely miss it. It is one of the truly unique and wonderful amenities of the resort, and it's definitely surprising Disney hasn't figured out a way to offer some of that special magic even under the current state restrictions.
Exactly right! When we went, our kids LOVED Aunty’s and would beg us to go everyday! It was such a fun experience for them to do the activities and crafts that they had planned. We loved every minute and I’m sure our kids will be SO disappointed if it isn’t open by the time our vacation in September comes around.

A lot of other indoor children's activity centers on Oahu are open - Kid City in Kapolei and Ward, Funtastic Kidzone in Pearlridge, the bouncing place in Ala Moana, etc. I think it's Disney, not the city/state, that's stopping Aunty's from opening. Maybe the staff was let go?

I can easily see why child care is available to locals. Parents need to go to work. No one NEEDS a person to watch their children on vacation. I think that Aunty's is still closed out of caution and because of restrictions. I am sure staffing and cost play a part, but I see it more of a hassle for something that is not necessary. Places like The Four Seasons do not get nearly as many children as Aulani does so the demand would not be as high, making it more manageable. I think that restrictions are still to tight and Covid is still too much of a concern for them to open Aunty's at this time. If I was running Aulani, that is how I would see it. Better to have everyone know ahead of time that it is not available then to limit it and have people angry if their was not enough room for their kid.

Exactly right! When we went, our kids LOVED Aunty’s and would beg us to go everyday! It was such a fun experience for them to do the activities and crafts that they had planned. We loved every minute and I’m sure our kids will be SO disappointed if it isn’t open by the time our vacation in September comes around.
My unscientific guess is that it will be open by then. As per the CDC in Hawaii 47% of those 18+ and 68% of those 65+ had one at least one dose of the vaccine and we are only in April!!!

I can easily see why child care is available to locals. Parents need to go to work. No one NEEDS a person to watch their children on vacation. I think that Aunty's is still closed out of caution and because of restrictions. I am sure staffing and cost play a part, but I see it more of a hassle for something that is not necessary. Places like The Four Seasons do not get nearly as many children as Aulani does so the demand would not be as high, making it more manageable. I think that restrictions are still to tight and Covid is still too much of a concern for them to open Aunty's at this time. If I was running Aulani, that is how I would see it. Better to have everyone know ahead of time that it is not available then to limit it and have people angry if their was not enough room for their kid.

The places I mentioned aren't childcare centers, they're unsupervised indoor playgrounds filled with inflatable slides, toys, cars, etc. As far as I know, there are no restrictions here on what can/cannot open, just occupancy limits. But I can certainly understand and respect Disney's choice to keep Aunty's closed.

The places I mentioned aren't childcare centers, they're unsupervised indoor playgrounds filled with inflatable slides, toys, cars, etc. As far as I know, there are no restrictions here on what can/cannot open, just occupancy limits. But I can certainly understand and respect Disney's choice to keep Aunty's closed.

But Aunty's is childcare. Fun, Disney style of childcare, but still childcare. That needs staff and has different rules then fun houses. I hope it opens quick too, because that would mean that we are getting back to normal. But I don't think that I would trust an environment like that just yet for my young child. Heck, many schools are still not open.
This is from their website. It clearly states that it is childcare.

A young boy goes down a slide holding a Stitch plush

As part of the phased reopening of Aulani Resort, experiences and amenities may be impacted. Learn more about the availability of Aulani Resort amenities and dining locations during this time.
Kids explore Hawaiian culture, art and music—with a dash of Disney magic—at this supervised activities club for Guests ages 3 to 12. Most activities are complimentary; select experiences are available at a fee.

• HIGHLIGHTS AND AMENITIES
    This 5,200-square-foot, state-of-the-art kids club is designed to entertain and delight.

Supervised Fun
    While the kids play, parents can enjoy some relaxing alone time and rest assured knowing that their children are being supervised by childcare professionals, our Disney Youth Counselors.

Amenities

Aunty's Beach House features an array of outstanding amenities:
    • Complimentary programs and activities to engage children
    • Highly interactive Premium Experiences featuring enhanced storytelling, special souvenirs and more (fees apply)
    • A movie room showing Disney favorites
    • Xbox video games
    • Interactive game tables
    • Hawaiian arts and crafts
    • A costume closet full of fun finds so kids can play dress-up
    • An enclosed and secure backyard, complete with play structure
    • A secure check-in/check-out process for children ages 3 to 12
    Magical Touches
    Discover magical touches everywhere you look—including hidden surprises such as:
    • Visits from some favorite Disney friends
    • Enchanted fireplaces
    • Cozy rain windows in the movie room
    • Magical portals depicting spectacular scenes from around Hawai‘i
    About Aunty and Her House
    A lifelong resident of O‘ahu, Aunty is considered by locals to be a true expert on Hawaiian history and cultural traditions. Aunty invites you to become a part of her extended ‘ohana and make yourself at home at Aunty's Beach House.

But Aunty's is childcare. Fun, Disney style of childcare, but still childcare. That needs staff and has different rules then fun houses. I hope it opens quick too, because that would mean that we are getting back to normal. But I don't think that I would trust an environment like that just yet for my young child. Heck, many schools are still not open.
This is from their website. It clearly states that it is childcare.

Childcare centers were allowed to open in early summer 2020, so I guess that confirms it is Disney's decision, not government restrictions, keeping Aunty's closed.

I wouldn't send my children to Aunty's right now either, especially with cases in Hawaii rising lately and three Oahu clusters being associated with hotels. I didn't send my daughter back to preschool when they reopened, so it's hard to justify sending her to an elective, indoor activity just for fun. Luckily, there's a lot of outdoor fun to be had at Aulani :)

Everything I am going to say is based on recent observations and is unofficial. As far as employees coming back, yes that is happening. Yesterday when I was asking a cast member about the in person painting classes, I was told that the person in charge just came back from furlough and they are working out how to bring things back. Animation classes including streaming to the room is in the works. While regulations and logistics are a consideration and cost is also an issue, staffing is a major obstacle that is beginning to be resolved. I spent a few hours outside the conference center yesterday waiting for my room to be ready - we were switching rooms. There were cast member trainings for new and returning cast members. They seem to be trying to bring back experiences rather than trying to cut things permanently.
That would be amazing. I appreciate you chiming in on this post to provide this feedback. I’m excited for the paintings to come back and life to slowly get back to the way they were. I’m also happy to hear the locals can get their income flowing again.

I just called Aulani and the rep told me there was no official date set for opening, but that they were “working on it” and that she thought there was a very good chance it would be available for my May trip. This is a much more optimistic response than “we do not know when/if Aunty’s is opening” which is what I have received in response to my last several calls.

I just called Aulani and the rep told me there was no official date set for opening, but that they were “working on it” and that she thought there was a very good chance it would be available for my May trip. This is a much more optimistic response than “we do not know when/if Aunty’s is opening” which is what I have received in response to my last several calls.
I hope this would mean the return of the adult pool!

Hello,
We are going in August for our first time with a 4 and 6 year old. I am interested in Aunty's, but have never left them with anyone besides family. If you have used Aunty's before, what was your experience?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter