Aunty’s Beach Club

Gizmo12_21

Earning My Ears
Hi Friends, do we know when they will reopen Aunty’s Beach Club? I am surprised they didn’t have a work around for this amenity.

No word yet on when Aunty's Beach House will open back up and with what restrictions. I think that they have to be in another Covid level to have it open since it is not a necessary child care, but a gathering site. They just changed the gathering restriction from 5 people to 10, and that included family members. Aulani did not have any choice in the matter. When you can't have more then 5 -10 people in any one space at a time, I can't see how there could possibly be any "work around" for it. I imagine that it will be one of the last things that open back up.

I was thinking they could have moved it outside and changed it to planned activities that you could sign your kids up for. I suppose guest could still look into babysitters, I just don’t think that would be as much fun for the kids.

I was thinking they could have moved it outside and changed it to planned activities that you could sign your kids up for. I suppose guest could still look into babysitters, I just don’t think that would be as much fun for the kids.

The issue still is that you can not have more then 10 people grouped together in any one place(that just recently went up from 5). So there is no way for them to have control over children and still be within State regulations. The chairs at the pool and beach are spaced out, the tables at the restaurants are spaced out, but there is no way that you can keep 4 kids, plus 1 adult always spaced out. There is just not the room for it, not to mention the amount of staff that it would take. Not to mention that if you limit the amount of kids to something that they might be able to handle, there are going to be really ticked off parents that expected to drop their kids off there. I have seen many people post on various Aulani pages that the only reason that they will go to Aulani is for the free child care. They are not going to open any time soon. Disney is not going to run the risk of getting a fine because of too many individuals in one area just so parents can dump their kids and have someone else deal with them. Kids will have fun if the parents are. Go and explore the Island, play on the beach, go in the lazy river. There is so much that kids can do with their family that they won't even miss it.

Aunty's Beach House is far more than a place to "dump" one's kids to have someone else deal with them. I don't know if you meant it this way, but that comes across really judgmental and preachy. My family has always made time for family activities and "apart" activities at Aulani, and my children adore their time at Aunty's. They get to do crafts, play unique games, see characters and performers, and in general have a wonderful time. We will not travel to Aulani with it not being open--despite what you say about how much else there is to do, my kids would absolutely miss it. It is one of the truly unique and wonderful amenities of the resort, and it's definitely surprising Disney hasn't figured out a way to offer some of that special magic even under the current state restrictions.

Aunty's Beach House is far more than a place to "dump" one's kids to have someone else deal with them. I don't know if you meant it this way, but that comes across really judgmental and preachy. My family has always made time for family activities and "apart" activities at Aulani, and my children adore their time at Aunty's. They get to do crafts, play unique games, see characters and performers, and in general have a wonderful time. We will not travel to Aulani with it not being open--despite what you say about how much else there is to do, my kids would absolutely miss it. It is one of the truly unique and wonderful amenities of the resort, and it's definitely surprising Disney hasn't figured out a way to offer some of that special magic even under the current state restrictions.

Again, State regulations being what they are, Aulani's hands are tied. I don't know what you expect them to do. Everyone has to decide if not having group child activities is a deal breaker for them. They do have the takeaway craft of making Mickey ears. But everything else would be in a group setting, which they can't do. I don't know you or your children, but I would ask them if they still would want to go even with Aunty's closed. They might surprise you. Especially since there is no way of knowing when or if they will open back up. And if they do, it might be a totally different experience. They don't seem to be hurting for reservations with it closed since they seem to be pretty booked up through most of the summer.

I was just curious because I know it is a very desired amenity by both the adults and the kids. There are other hotels are still running their kids clubs so I don’t think this is a State regulation thing. It is probably more Disney’s decision. Maybe if we get to tier 4 they will reconsider.

I was just curious because I know it is a very desired amenity by both the adults and the kids. There are other hotels are still running their kids clubs so I don’t think this is a State regulation thing. It is probably more Disney’s decision. Maybe if we get to tier 4 they will reconsider.

Last edited:
We didn’t plan to use it much, but it does come in handy for an occasional date night or a couple spa appt. both of these are non factors for us until the spa and AMA AMA open up. Our kids have enjoyed the premium activities such as surfs up and the science lab one in the past.

The Hilton allows for outside entities for their kids club but they are all the way in Waikiki.

We are going regardless, but I am disappointed that they didn't move Auntie's outside to allow for groups of 10. We are still hoping that it opens prior to our arrival in August, but with cases rising, I am not too hopeful at this point.

We are going regardless, but I am disappointed that they didn't move Auntie's outside to allow for groups of 10. We are still hoping that it opens prior to our arrival in August, but with cases rising, I am not too hopeful at this point.

I am thinking that they just did not want to have to deal with it. With the restrictions still in place about how many can be gathered together at one time(it was 5 and just recently went up to 10) I can imagine that if they had child care available, it would have been extremely limited. That would cause serious issues with parents complaining if they couldn't get their kids in. We all know how so many people can get with their entitlement. I have seen many people post on other venues that they won't even go to Aulani unless Aunty's is open. So imagine if it was open, but limited and a family gets there and is unable to get their child in. I sure as heck would not want to deal with that.

I
I am thinking that they just did not want to have to deal with it. With the restrictions still in place about how many can be gathered together at one time(it was 5 and just recently went up to 10) I can imagine that if they had child care available, it would have been extremely limited. That would cause serious issues with parents complaining if they couldn't get their kids in. We all know how so many people can get with their entitlement. I have seen many people post on other venues that they won't even go to Aulani unless Aunty's is open. So imagine if it was open, but limited and a family gets there and is unable to get their child in. I sure as heck would not want to deal with that.
I definitely get that they can’t have people arriving and expectations not met - nobody needs that!!

But they have to start somewhere and they could architect around some of this. Maybe like the nursery does on the Disney cruise allow 10
Hours at a nominal cost — and then donate that money to a Hawaii based Covid charity.

I also think since ama ama and the spa are not open - they are making some decisions based on cost savings.

I

I definitely get that they can’t have people arriving and expectations not met - nobody needs that!!

But they have to start somewhere and they could architect around some of this. Maybe like the nursery does on the Disney cruise allow 10
Hours at a nominal cost — and then donate that money to a Hawaii based Covid charity.

I also think since ama ama and the spa are not open - they are making some decisions based on cost savings.

If it is child care that a person wants, there are locals that will do in room babysitting. People want "free" childcare from what I have been reading. Personally, I would never base a family vacation on if they had childcare because you never know if your child will like it or if they will have room, etc. But for some reason Aunty's is a big reason why some stay at Aulani. The point is, there are other child care options available at the time.

If it is child care that a person wants, there are locals that will do in room babysitting. People want "free" childcare from what I have been reading. Personally, I would never base a family vacation on if they had childcare because you never know if your child will like it or if they will have room, etc. But for some reason Aunty's is a big reason why some stay at Aulani. The point is, there are other child care options available at the time.

Having kids sit in a room is wildly inferior and in no way comparable. And it’s not free childcare it’s a included amenity and one of the reasons they can charge a premium ($700 a night or more)— and an amenity that is at resorts like the four seasons next door are currently offering.

Many people will (eventually) not go if it doesn’t return — and that’s why it will - families with children are the core clientele of the Aulani.

Having kids sit in a room is wildly inferior and in no way comparable. And it’s not free childcare it’s a included amenity and one of the reasons they can charge a premium ($700 a night or more)— and an amenity that is at resorts like the four seasons next door are currently offering.

Many people will (eventually) not go if it doesn’t return — and that’s why it will - families with children are the core clientele of the Aulani.

I understand what you are saying, but if the goal is to just have a few hours without the kids, then a babysitter is an option. I would not go so far as to say that it is a reason to charge more because it is not like that "amenity" can be used by everyone. I don't have kids that age so do I get a discount because there is an amenity that I can not use? They charge that much because they can, with or without Aunty's being open. I don't know if you have been following what has been going on there, but they are not having any issues will selling out. Try to book a vacation for June. We are going next month and it is sold out for our dates, even without Aunty's. I think you might overestimate the importance of Aunty's to the majority of people. It might be important to you at this point in your life, but there are plenty of people that do not have small kids, or are fine with all of the other things they offer, that are booking their trips. In a few years, when your kids are grown, you won't care about it either.

I understand what you are saying, but if the goal is to just have a few hours without the kids, then a babysitter is an option. I would not go so far as to say that it is a reason to charge more because it is not like that "amenity" can be used by everyone. I don't have kids that age so do I get a discount because there is an amenity that I can not use? They charge that much because they can, with or without Aunty's being open. I don't know if you have been following what has been going on there, but they are not having any issues will selling out. Try to book a vacation for June. We are going next month and it is sold out for our dates, even without Aunty's. I think you might overestimate the importance of Aunty's to the majority of people. It might be important to you at this point in your life, but there are plenty of people that do not have small kids, or are fine with all of the other things they offer, that are booking their trips. In a few years, when your kids are grown, you won't care about it either.

I was married for more than half a decade before deciding to have children - so I have travelled extensively as a childless adult couple and understand what you are saying.

But in terms of Disney cruise, Aulani and other Disney properties — they don’t exist exclusively for families with kids — but they absolutely could not exist without families with children. I think you just want less kids at Aulani and regardless of Aunities - that will never be the case.

This summer is a domestic travel one off - international travel is not possible - so Disney can get away with not having amenities open — even ones that have nothing to do with public health. That will not be the case forever.

I was married for more than half a decade before deciding to have children - so I have travelled extensively as a childless adult couple and understand what you are saying.

But in terms of Disney cruise, Aulani and other Disney properties — they don’t exist exclusively for families with kids — but they absolutely could not exist without families with children. I think you just want less kids at Aulani and regardless of Aunities - that will never be the case.

This summer is a domestic travel one off - international travel is not possible - so Disney can get away with not having amenities open — even ones that have nothing to do with public health. That will not be the case forever.

I never said or even implied that I wanted "less kids" at Aulani. That is a total fiction of your mind. I am being realistic and can see that they are not having any issues filling the resort with Aunty's being closed. That's it. Same with the cruise. I have been on the cruise during "off" season when there were very few children on board. I don't care if Aunty's opens up tomorrow, I would love for the spa to be open. But ONE amenity, that I would like to have, being closed is not going to stop me from going there. I think that you are making this personal unnecessarily. If having time away from your kids while there is important, there are other options. That is all that I am saying.

I think for us, the draw for Aunty's is not child care, but fun. My kid wants to go to Aunty's. He's always loved spending time there during previous trips, and it was his choice to go--not anything we pushed or used as childcare. I really don't care if my kid goes or not, but he WANTS to go, and given that it is, in normal times, an included amenity for which I, as an Aulani owner, pay for, I'd really prefer it to be available. We will go regardless, but I'd like it to be there for my kid, just as I'd like the spa to be available for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter