Aulani-versary (First Trip for 30year Wedding Anniversary)

trennr

"Nater" DISDad #104
Howdy Folks.
Monday we fly off to Aulani for 12 nights. this will be to celebrate our 30 years annivesary (Wedding date was Jan 2). I have never been. the Wife went about 8 year ago with friends and only stayed 2 days at Aulani...so she really doesn't have much input. The trip has been planned for months now, but I didn't want to plan every minute of the trip and wanted to wing it day by day. Only thing I did plan was a Luau at the Resort our 3rd night there.

I know I want to see things like Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, Kalula Ranch. I want to go whale watching. I'm looking for things that may not be on the radar. also looking for Dining options out of the resort. a few nice place...also some meals on a budget type places worth a visit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Howdy Folks.
Monday we fly off to Aulani for 12 nights. this will be to celebrate our 30 years annivesary (Wedding date was Jan 2). I have never been. the Wife went about 8 year ago with friends and only stayed 2 days at Aulani...so she really doesn't have much input. The trip has been planned for months now, but I didn't want to plan every minute of the trip and wanted to wing it day by day. Only thing I did plan was a Luau at the Resort our 3rd night there.

I know I want to see things like Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, Kalula Ranch. I want to go whale watching. I'm looking for things that may not be on the radar. also looking for Dining options out of the resort. a few nice place...also some meals on a budget type places worth a visit. Thanks in advance for any help.
You’re leaving pretty soon, so some thing may be a little difficult. Kualoa Ranch is usually booked ahead of time - it’s low season though, so they may have some openings. Same with Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, and the Daimond Head hike. Try to see what you can book now, before you go.

I’d highly recommend a hike - if you’re in good condition, look up a waterfall hike. If you’re not as adventurous, the walk up through the Waimea gardens, to the waterfall there is paved and beautiful. The hike to the Makapu’u lighthouse is absolutely gorgeous, when you head down towards Waikiki.

For good casual eats, Broke Da Mouth serves local style food in a (very) casual setting - very very good food, 1 exit up the freeway in Kapolei. Across the street from Aulani is Monkeypods, a semi casual restaurant from one of the local premier chefs.

Definitely try shave ice (ideally, not at the resort or Matsumoto’s - Waiola Shave Ice, or Uncle Clay’s are much better), and Leonard’s Malasadas (better at the bakery near Waikiki, but the truck near Aulani is pretty good most of the time).

Have a great time and Happy Anniversary!

The "Punch Bowl" is the Pacific Cemetery in an old volcanic crater that is free, and if you walk up to the lookout area, you get an amazing view of Honolulu. At Pearl Harbor, you have to get there really early if you want to get the free passes out to the Arizona Memorial. For some good "less expensive" restaurants, search all the places in Hawaii the were featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on the food network. Probably some you tube videos out there. We did this a few years ago and hit some local places that were great.

For views, definitely stop at the Pali Lookout if you’re driving on the Pali Highway through the mountains. It’s windy, so bring a jacket, but the view is incredible.

One thing to keep note of wherever you go, but definitely when you’re doing a quick stop at a place like the Pali lookout - don’t leave anything in the car. If you get there and realize you have something in the car, take it with you. Like many cities with tourists, there are unsavory characters looking for easy marks. Not as bad as at the In-N-Out in Oakland, but it does happen often.

@WAstateDVCDaddy thanks for the heads up about booking things like the ranch... I am blessed to be there for a long time, and have checked availbility, which currently seems to be wide open for the moment. And thank you for the food suggestions. Also thanks for the warning about unsavory characters.

@ShawnDadof8 thanks for the info... and I love the Triple D shows... good idea.

PS... you all should join the Disdads group... tell them Nater sent you.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/dis-dads.185/

Last edited:
How exciting! Happy anniversary!

You might still be able to book a tour at Kualoa Ranch since your stay is pretty long and have flexibility, just check their website. If for whatever reason you decide not to do a tour there, I still highly recommend you take a drive out to the windward side of the island. It's more local and country feel of Hawaii (which I love), very different vibe from the leeward side where Aulani is.
While you're on the windward side, Adela's Country Eatery is what I would recommend. They make all pastas fresh in house and portions are big. My husband and I shared one pasta and we were full. All their desserts are also housemade, if you like lychee, their lychee cheesecake is a MUST! One down side about Adela's, there's no dine-in at all, takeout only. If you're okay with eating in your car or take the food to a park to enjoy, then put this on your list for sure.

Kapolei is about 10 mins from Aulani, that's where Target and Costco are. There are quite a bit of local eats in that area too. I wanted to try My Cafe but we didn't make it, it was recommended by a friend who grew up in Kapolei. They are open for breakfast and lunch only and known for their pancake flight!

Definitely try shave ice (ideally, not at the resort or Matsumoto’s - Waiola Shave Ice, or Uncle Clay’s are much better), and Leonard’s Malasadas (better at the bakery near Waikiki, but the truck near Aulani is pretty good most of the time).
THIS! Yep agreed. Waiola, Ululani are both good and they are very close to each other.

In North Shore, here are a few of my favorite food places:
Jenny's Shrimp Truck, Da Bald Guy (go early for brunch as they get SUPER busy during lunch time), Ry's Poke Shack, Kaimana Shave Ice, Paalaa Kai Bakery (went there only for their famous Snow Puffies!), Paalaa Kai Mini Mart next door also have easy quick snacks like Spam Musubi, Fried Chicken, Shrimp Roll (this one is very simple but tasty!), Bentos.

If you go to Da Bald Guy or Ry's Poke Shack, check out Seven Brothers Kahuku Marketplace for their Mom's Banana Bread. This isn't your normal banana bread, it has chocolate chips, coconut and vanilla icing. It sounds like a lot but I'm someone who absolutely never liked chocolate chips in banana bread, but this one...oh man...it was different and I loved it! Kudos to the girl who worked there and offered me a sample otherwise I would have never bought any!

Majority of food places we went serve pretty decent portions, and there were times we ordered a little extra so we had more than enough leftovers for our resort days at Aulani.

Enjoy your trip and have a wonderful time!

Howdy Folks.

We love the Japanese food options in Kapolei, Honolulu, and Waikiki, and the meals are reasonably priced. I don't eat sushi but love Udon, Ramen, and Tempura. I liked all these places:
Kapolei - (in order of preference) Kazoku Sushi, Tanaka Ramen, Ramen Ya, Curry House Ichibanya
Honolulu - Kikuya
Waikiki - Marugame Udon

I also loved Mekiko Cantina across the street from Aulani. It's a reasonably priced Mexican restaurant.

We're big fans of Monkeypod, which is right across the street.

We've heard good things about Roy's, which has a very nearby location in Ko'olina on a golf course property. (There's a Roy's near Disneyland but we haven't been there either.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter