• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Post Covid Reopen ~ Fell Below Expectations This Time...

No kidding. The tiny Asian lady who did my massage on DCL nearly killed me. But man she fixed that muscle that goes over the shoulder blade.

I think that you and I had the same lady. LOL I had a huge knot by my shoulder blade that needed to come out because it was cutting off my circulation. My arm would go numb. I told her that it was my primary reason for the message and she just about killed me, but it was what I needed. After a couple of days of being sore, it was so much better. I have talked to the therapist who work on the ships and they said that many actually have degree in sports medicine and that they are just working on the ship until they can get a job in their field.

Interesting to hear about the AC... I've only been to Aulani once but I don't think we ran the AC the entire time. We kept our sliders open every night. Between the fresh air and the ceiling fans, we were never too warm.

Regarding the room refurbs, there were some blog posts that they were supposed to start in the DVC units this year but I don't think anything has been mentioned since December 2020.

While I can't talk specifically about the room conditions, I am waiting to visit Aulani until the spa and restaurants are all open again.

My daughter and I are going to next week. We were booked to go last year for her HS graduation trip. Although the spa would have been nice, it is not a deal breaker for us. Neither is having Ama Ama open. We have a car for our stay and enjoy going out and about eating local foods. Food is a big deal for us when we travel and we like to enjoy things that we can not get at home. So we plan on eating lots of seafood, because, living in the midwest, the seafood is horrible. We are glass is half full people and are just exited to be going to Hawaii, even with things not available. There is no right or wrong to this situation. But I will say, without people like us, that are willing to go during a time where not everything is available, businesses might not have survived much longer. The sad fact is that the State needs tourists to come and spend money right now.

My daughter and I are going to next week. We were booked to go last year for her HS graduation trip. Although the spa would have been nice, it is not a deal breaker for us. Neither is having Ama Ama open. We have a car for our stay and enjoy going out and about eating local foods. Food is a big deal for us when we travel and we like to enjoy things that we can not get at home. So we plan on eating lots of seafood, because, living in the midwest, the seafood is horrible. We are glass is half full people and are just exited to be going to Hawaii, even with things not available. There is no right or wrong to this situation. But I will say, without people like us, that are willing to go during a time where not everything is available, businesses might not have survived much longer. The sad fact is that the State needs tourists to come and spend money right now.

I should also mention that I did visit Hawaii in November, just not at Aulani. I had a car, tried so much delicious local food and explored the entire island of Oahu (literally, from Ka'ena point to Makapu'u point). I didn't think Aulani justified the premium price with so much of it being closed, but I definitely want to stay next time I'm in Oahu.

I should also mention that I did visit Hawaii in November, just not at Aulani. I had a car, tried so much delicious local food and explored the entire island of Oahu (literally, from Ka'ena point to Makapu'u point). I didn't think Aulani justified the premium price with so much of it being closed, but I definitely want to stay next time I'm in Oahu.
Did you not notice similar closures elsewhere? I didn't think Aulani was unique in this regard.

Or are you saying that there WERE closures, they just didn't bother you as much because the price was lower?

Did you not notice similar closures elsewhere? I didn't think Aulani was unique in this regard.

Or are you saying that there WERE closures, they just didn't bother you as much because the price was lower?

Mainly the price. I rented a very basic 1 bedroom unit for about $150/night which included a full kitchen and free parking. A 1br at Aulani would've been $700/night for those same dates, which included Thanksgiving weekend. Obviously Aulani still had the pools and some of the dining and activities available, but for $550 a night, I'll just drive to the local restaurants and swim in the beach.

Since that trip I've bought into DVC, so now that 1 bedroom is effectively less than $300 a night and will be well worth it next time I visit.

I did not see any restaurants outside Aulani that were totally closed. Some were only outdoor dining, but I don't remember seeing any closed. Other spas around the island were open too, including hotels and independent places.

I did not see any restaurants outside Aulani that were totally closed. Some were only outdoor dining, but I don't remember seeing any closed. Other spas around the island were open too, including hotels and independent places.
Isn't Makahiki basically serving 'AMA 'AMA food right now? I don't think the closure really results in the guest losing anything, they just don't have the occupancy to justify keeping both open.

Isn't Makahiki basically serving 'AMA 'AMA food right now? I don't think the closure really results in the guest losing anything, they just don't have the occupancy to justify keeping both open.

I'm not sure exactly what's on the menu. Either way I would've gone off-site or cooked most of my food, and that didn't bother me as much. It was the spa, all the lawn activities, and at the time the Luau wasn't running yet. Plus the fact that I would've had to pay cash instead of using points.

I'm not sure exactly what's on the menu. Either way I would've gone off-site or cooked most of my food, and that didn't bother me as much. It was the spa, all the lawn activities, and at the time the Luau wasn't running yet. Plus the fact that I would've had to pay cash instead of using points.
Yeah my trip is still many months away so I'm really hopeful that things will be properly normal by then. My biggest hesitancy will be masks on the plan.

I think the issue is there is now:

- no spa
- no kids club
- one sit down restaurant for a hotel with like 800ish rooms (even at half capacity it is so many people)
- no adults only pool

Next door at the Four Seasons all of those things are not the case.

I’m a DVC owner there - but am going to split stay and pay more to secure access to these amenities.

ma was socially distanced and outdoor before Covid required such things. Why can’t it reopen?

Spas are open at most hotels - why not there?

The kids club is more complicated- but there are definitely things Aulani could do.

Yeah my trip is still many months away so I'm really hopeful that things will be properly normal by then. My biggest hesitancy will be masks on the plan.

My flight was in two 5-hour segments, so the mask never bothered me and I didn't eat a full meal on the place. I ended up wrapping the ear loops around my big headphones to take the pressure off the back of my ears for most of the flight. I also flew Delta and they were blocking middle seats, and frankly I will always wear a mask if it means getting an empty middle seat.

Its closed because of operational costs which they are disguising as Covid precautions. A lot of companies are pivoting to recoup operational costs in the current environment, but I know DVC owners are frustrated when comparable resorts don't have the same level of restrictions and closures anymore.

Guests are losing the opportunity of having a signature Disney dining experience with beautiful ocean and sunset views without leaving the property. Additionally, they are losing a second option for TS breakfast and dinner on property. While the Ama Ama closure alone is not a deal breaker in my opinion, it is a factor for consideration depending on how people travel, how much they eat at the resort, and how much time they plan on spending at the resort.

Its closed because of operational costs which they are disguising as Covid precautions. A lot of companies are pivoting to recoup operational costs in the current environment, but I know DVC owners are frustrated when comparable resorts don't have the same level of restrictions and closures anymore.

Guests are losing the opportunity of having a signature Disney dining experience with beautiful ocean and sunset views without leaving the property. Additionally, they are losing a second option for TS breakfast and dinner on property. While the Ama Ama closure alone is not a deal breaker in my opinion, it is a factor for consideration depending on how people travel, how much they eat at the resort, and how much time they plan on spending at the resort.

Well said!

I think the issue is there is now:

- no spa
- no kids club
- one sit down restaurant for a hotel with like 800ish rooms (even at half capacity it is so many people)
- no adults only pool

Next door at the Four Seasons all of those things are not the case.

I’m a DVC owner there - but am going to split stay and pay more to secure access to these amenities.

ma was socially distanced and outdoor before Covid required such things. Why can’t it reopen?

Spas are open at most hotels - why not there?

The kids club is more complicated- but there are definitely things Aulani could do.
Wait the adult pool is closed too? What sense does that make?

Aunty's Beach House is a major problem for me. I won't be going unless it's open and doing their normal programs.

The spa and 'AMA 'AMA feel different to me because they're not meant to be included in the price of your stay. Those are additional products/services for a fee. The lack of being able to buy them is annoying, but it's not like you're getting less for your dollar (since you're keeping those dollars).

Last edited:
Its closed because of operational costs which they are disguising as Covid precautions.
It obviously doesn't apply to DVC members, but the biggest offender here is the lack of daily housekeeping. I wouldn't be shocked if they made that permanent at WDW but I can't imagine Aulani won't go back to normal service pretty soon.

Wait the adult pool is closed too? What sense does that make?

Aunty's Beach House is a major problem for me. I won't be going unless it's open and doing their normal programs.

The spa and 'AMA 'AMA feel different to me because they're not meant to be included in the price of your stay. Those are additional products/services for a fee. The lack of being able to buy them is annoying, but it's not like you're getting less for your dollar (since you're keeping those dollars).

The adult pool allows children now. Not sure why.

They are just making a ton of penny pinching moves that rub me the wrong way. I’m happy to use my points at WDW instead of Aulani. But they want people like me — I bring extended family, I go to nice dinners and spend at the spa and stores etc. I don’t get their math, but I’m guessing they’ve done it. And to use the cover of Covid is unseemly.

The adult pool allows children now. Not sure why.

They are just making a ton of penny pinching moves that rub me the wrong way. I’m happy to use my points at WDW instead of Aulani. But they want people like me — I bring extended family, I go to nice dinners and spend at the spa and stores etc. I don’t get their math, but I’m guessing they’ve done it. And to use the cover of Covid is unseemly.
I don't think they're anywhere close to this:
800ish rooms (even at half capacity it is so many people)
I give them the benefit of the doubt in the sense that I do believe these cutbacks are due to COVID, but I think it's BS when they try to frame them as because of COVID "health and safety protocols."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter