• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Post Covid Reopen ~ Fell Below Expectations This Time...

Pluto 32

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a 12 night stay at Aulani (3rd re-schedule due to you know what). I haven't been there since the opening 10 years ago. Here were my thoughts (rant).

1. I know they re-did the pools but I don't think a penny of my dues wen into the rooms. We stayed in 2 different rooms and both had stains in the carpet / furniture. They are due for their 10 year refurb.

2. The couches in both rooms were frayed.

3. The bronze faucets in the showers were all corroded with lime causing reduced water pressure.

4. In both of the rooms which were in completely separate towers we were not able to get cold water from the sinks.

5. The AC was set to 65°F and its was still hot in the room. And yes all the doors were closed.

6. The check in process was horrible. Multiple emails prior to my arrival prompted me to check in via online or via the Aulani app. I followed all of the instructions yet when I got there, I still had to wait in a one hour line to get to the front desk so they could issue me my room key and check my QR code status which I thought could have been incorporated into the website or app.

7. The spa was still closed which I knew beforehand but I find it interesting that Rainbow Reef was open. You'd think if you can sterilize a snorkel that hundreds of people stick in their mouth during a pandemic then they could figure out a way to open the spa.

8. The show at the luau was fantastic but the food was lackluster.

9. I also was not thrilled that they try to sell you your photo during the show which really takes away from the whole luau experience. Every photo they take a view they offer you a photo pass where you can purchase your photos at a later date and time. There was no need for them to disrupt the show to try to sell you a digital picture on iPad. It was very non DCL of them.

I will say their Covid precautions were good but maybe too much?

10. Having a sign by the elevator "one party or 4 people per elector" means it always took forever to get to and from your room since many people didn’t want to share. We always invited more when we got into ours but the reverse was not I was reciprocated.

11. Masks are not required in the pool or lounging but the moment you get out of the pool to get a towel or a snorkel to go into rainbow reef they will not serve you without a mask. Meanwhile you’re dripping wet or burning your feet trying to go back to wherever your property was at.

Just my two cents.

Have you been to Aulani since the reopen? What were your thoughts?

Last edited:
We just got back from a 12 night stay at Aulani (3rd re-schedule due to you know what). I haven't been there since the opening 10 years ago. Here were my thoughts (rant).

1. I know they re-did the pools but I don't think a penny of my dues wen into the rooms. We stayed in 2 different rooms and both had stains in the carpet / furniture. They are due for their 10 year refurb.

2. The couches in both rooms were frayed.

3. The bronze faucets in the showers were all corroded with lime causing reduced water pressure.

4. In both of the rooms which were in completely separate towers we were not able to get cold water from the sinks.

5. The check in process was horrible. Multiple emails prior to my arrival prompted me to check in via online or via the Aulani app. I followed all of the instructions yet when I got there, I still had to wait in a one hour line to get to the front desk so they could issue me my room key and check my QR code status which I thought could have been incorporated into the website or app.

6. The spa was still closed which I knew beforehand but I find it interesting that Rainbow Reef was open. You'd think if you can sterilize a snorkel that hundreds of people stick in their mouth during a pandemic then they could figure out a way to open the spa.

7. The show at the luau was fantastic but the food was lackluster.

8. I also was not thrilled that they try to sell you your photo during the show which really takes away from the whole luau experience. Every photo they take a view they offer you a photo pass where you can purchase your photos at a later date and time. There was no need for them to disrupt the show to try to sell you a digital picture on iPad. It was very non DCL of them.

I will say their Covid precautions were outstanding (maybe too much?)
Having a sign by the elevator "one party per elector" means it always took forever to get to and from your room.

Just my two cents.

Have you been to Aulani since the reopen? What were your thoughts?
We did not have problems with the appearance of our room. The only room issue we had was that the air didn't seem to be working properly (and the only solution they had was to keep the outside door closed, which we already were).

I agree that the check in line is terrible. Then they wanted ALL members of our party to check in, in-person, we couldn't send one person with everyone's QR and ID to the desk. You would at least think they would have someone explaining what was needed at the beginning of the line or extra people working at check in time so that the line would move faster....maybe someone just checking codes and IDs and applying a bracelet so that more time didn't have to be wasted AT the desk before being given a key.

I was not too impressed with the spa when we were there 5 years ago, so not having it was no biggie for me. However, I agree- I don't see a reason that they couldn't open it. Maybe it has to do with occupancy or some HI restriction that we aren't aware of? Maybe they don't have people to work there yet?

I skipped the luau. My mom had wanted to go, but I couldn't see paying almost $200 each for something I wasn't that excited about. If I had never done a luau before, maybe, but we did one on our last trip, so that was that.

The one party or 4 people per elevator- we just ignored it. Some people didn't care. Some people did. If we were in the elevator, we always invited anyone waiting to join us if they wanted to. We figured that people had to be Covid negative tested to come to HI in the first place and people were also masked, so little chance of getting Covid on the elevator. All in all, over the 10 days we were there, we had very few elevator issues and didn't wait more than a minute or two more than a handfull of times.

Covid precautions were fine, except maybe at the pool it was too much. We set our stuff down, went to the water, then back for a towel and were corrected (while dripping wet) for not having a mask on.

We did not have problems with the appearance of our room. The only room issue we had was that the air didn't seem to be working properly (and the only solution they had was to keep the outside door closed, which we already were).

I agree that the check in line is terrible. Then they wanted ALL members of our party to check in, in-person, we couldn't send one person with everyone's QR and ID to the desk. You would at least think they would have someone explaining what was needed at the beginning of the line or extra people working at check in time so that the line would move faster....maybe someone just checking codes and IDs and applying a bracelet so that more time didn't have to be wasted AT the desk before being given a key.

I was not too impressed with the spa when we were there 5 years ago, so not having it was no biggie for me. However, I agree- I don't see a reason that they couldn't open it. Maybe it has to do with occupancy or some HI restriction that we aren't aware of? Maybe they don't have people to work there yet?

I skipped the luau. My mom had wanted to go, but I couldn't see paying almost $200 each for something I wasn't that excited about. If I had never done a luau before, maybe, but we did one on our last trip, so that was that.

The one party or 4 people per elevator- we just ignored it. Some people didn't care. Some people did. If we were in the elevator, we always invited anyone waiting to join us if they wanted to. We figured that people had to be Covid negative tested to come to HI in the first place and people were also masked, so little chance of getting Covid on the elevator. All in all, over the 10 days we were there, we had very few elevator issues and didn't wait more than a minute or two more than a handfull of times.

Covid precautions were fine, except maybe at the pool it was too much. We set our stuff down, went to the water, then back for a towel and were corrected (while dripping wet) for not having a mask on.
I totally agree! The whole masks at the pool to get a towel or get a snorkel and vest to go in rainbow reef because I had to walk all the way back to where our stuff was which was on the other side.

We also had the same issue with the AC.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I’ve noticed the Aulani reviews on TripAdvisor aren’t very good lately. It seems so disappointing to spend so much time and money to get to Aulani and then have your experience.

Hard to imagine a DVC resort with A/C problems but I’ve read it in multiple reviews on different sites. Beyond disappointing.

We are taking whole family for a ‘once in a lifetime’ trip early June from East Coast. Two bedroom, ocean view. I cringe at the thought of having AC problem 😡

Last edited:
I'm going to address the mask requirement:

The Ko Olina Marriott has the same rules - mask at all times other than when you're in the pool/hot tub, eating and drinking, or obviously in your room.

I swim a lot. As in 15-18k meters a week. Every pool in our area has the "you must put on a mask as soon as you get out of the pool" requirement. I understand if you're in an area that does not have this mandate then it is something you're not used to.

We have to remember that Hawaii doesn't have the resources other states do if cases get out of control. Oahu had 40 new cases yesterday. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but they don't have the hospital resources that the states on the Main Land do. If that 40 cases yesterday continues to grow, Hawaii could close to travel again.

If you're going to Hawaii in the next few months, plan for the mask when you get to your towel policy. Wear water shoes so you don't burn your feet walking to your towel/mask. Have two masks - one for getting to your towel when you're wet and a dry one when you're done swimming or want to get a drink. Know and understand the policy and plan ahead.

I know get it's a pain and I hate a soggy mask as much as the next person, but the resorts and hotels want to stay safe and open. They have to follow the local rules so they don't get fined or shut down.

Now for the elevators, the Marriott rule was only one family per elevator or 1 person if not family. We learned to walk down in the door on the lowest level because the elevator will go there before the lobby if someone pushes the up button.

I agree. We had not been pre* covid, but as we were leaving my husband said that was the most non Disney experience we’ve ever had and a complete waste of money. We had a better time in the condo at Imperial Hawaii in Waikiki (split stay).

in fact I already took the DVC post stay survey. I said literally “we can stand butt to nose with no masks in line for water slides but you can’t figure out how to give a masked pedicure or massage?” And don’t get me started on the chair wars. Or no adult areas. Now I love vacationing with my kids. But my kids are held to behavioral standards that I rarely see reciprocated to borrow your term. We had a very poor experience with food allergy accommodations also. Aulani was a replacement vacation for our canceled Alaskan cruise. We should have just done Hawaii without Aulani.

Last edited:

Wow, this sounds really disappointing! Starting to get a little worried about our upcoming trip. Thinking maybe we should cancel/postpone, but several families are meeting up there. What to do?!

Thanks for sharing.

Ugh! That is depressing. I am split staying with the Four Seasons this summer as they are WAY more open (spa, more than one restaurant, kids club). I’m an owner at Aulani - but some of the things (not masks) are not opening to save money -

Fauci was out there talking about the extremely low risk for outdoor transmission and telegraphed that the CDC will modify outdoor mask mandates — obviously Aulani (Disney) can mandate anything they want — but this shows how the winds are blowing for these types of things.

Moreover Hawaii has given one dose to more than 83% of over 65 and more than 60% to 18+ —this is amazing. Things are getting better every single day re Covid!!

We will be there in just under 3 weeks. I belong to a couple of Aulani FB groups and have not heard anyone complain about the mask rule at the pool. Sounds like that you need to have one on when interacting with cast members, which makes sense. But you obviously don't have your mask at the edge of the pool to put on "right after you get out of the water". The rooms do need a refurbishment. I think that if I got a really shabby room, that I would ask for another one. I guess that I don't know why you have to show your negative results to the hotel if you just showed it at the airport. What do locals do when they stay there? Do they need a negative test to stay at hotels? I think that if everyone has shown a negative test result and are wearing masks, that more can go in the elevator. I have been working with the public throughout this whole thing and have become used to restrictions. I have also been to WDW 3 times in the last 5 months. I think that we will have a great time.

I'm going to address the mask requirement:

The Ko Olina Marriott has the same rules - mask at all times other than when you're in the pool/hot tub, eating and drinking, or obviously in your room.

I swim a lot. As in 15-18k meters a week. Every pool in our area has the "you must put on a mask as soon as you get out of the pool" requirement. I understand if you're in an area that does not have this mandate then it is something you're not used to.

We have to remember that Hawaii doesn't have the resources other states do if cases get out of control. Oahu had 40 new cases yesterday. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but they don't have the hospital resources that the states on the Main Land do. If that 40 cases yesterday continues to grow, Hawaii could close to travel again.

If you're going to Hawaii in the next few months, plan for the mask when you get to your towel policy. Wear water shoes so you don't burn your feet walking to your towel/mask. Have two masks - one for getting to your towel when you're wet and a dry one when you're done swimming or want to get a drink. Know and understand the policy and plan ahead.

I know get it's a pain and I hate a soggy mask as much as the next person, but the resorts and hotels want to stay safe and open. They have to follow the local rules so they don't get fined or shut down.

Now for the elevators, the Marriott rule was only one family per elevator or 1 person if not family. We learned to walk down in the door on the lowest level because the elevator will go there before the lobby if someone pushes the up button.
I get it and completely agree with you.

We went in March and didn't have any issues with masks at the pool.

Now, as to the A/C... so ours was so/so when we got there as well. Called and they sent a guy up and he asked how cold we wanted it. He took a wall panel off and turned the fan higher. In about 5 minutes, we were 10 below zero... Seriously, though, it made a huge difference. They also bypassed the motion sensor of the A/C, which I think is the main culprit. Took 5 minutes and they couldn't have been nicer.

We had a great time. However, we don't use the spa or go to the Luau (though since our room overlooked the Haleiwa lawn, we watched their rehearsals a few nights). I'll agree that the checkin process is overly cumbersome right now, but I believe every hotel/timeshare is required to verify individual QR codes under the Hawaii Safe Travels plan.

Last note, and it was about the elevators. To note, my wife, daughter, and I were fully vaccinated a few weeks prior to our trip. I went to get on the elevator, and a gentleman asked if he could join me , saying "I'm fully vaccinated", I'd said "me too", and then we laughed about how it's little things like this that you never thought you'd miss and are nice to start to come back...

7. The spa was still closed which I knew beforehand but I find it interesting that Rainbow Reef was open. You'd think if you can sterilize a snorkel that hundreds of people stick in their mouth during a pandemic then they could figure out a way to open the spa.
I agree, but is that a state closure rule or an Aulani thing? I live in NY but I know spas were one of the last things to re-open here. But they are open now. If its not a state requirement, then I do wonder why the spa would still be closed - short staffed? Overly cautious? The spa has to be a big money maker for them and its certainly a draw for adults.

10. Having a sign by the elevator "one party or 4 people per elector" means it always took forever to get to and from your room since many people didn’t want to share. We always invited more when we got into ours but the reverse was not I was reciprocated.
This is a good point and maybe something for people to consider when making room requests. The lower the floor you're on, the easier it is to take the stairs. The pools and outdoor area are floor 1 (ground), the lobby and store are on floor 3. We were there pre-pandemic and felt the elevators were slow and that was when we could pack people in.

I was not too impressed with the spa when we were there 5 years ago, so not having it was no biggie for me.
Really?! Just curious as to why? We were there 4.5 years ago. I always try to do spa treatments when I travel, and we found the Aulani spa and extra amenities to be among the nicest we've been to. The treatment itself was decent, but we thought they offered a lot with the hydrotherapy garden while the prices were still on par with other high end spas we've been to.

This is discouraging for our first trip there this summer. But it’s also mid July, so maybe things will be better at least for COVID. May be luck of the draw for A/C, but hope that isn’t too bad. We are so excited for this trip....hope it doesn’t fall flat.

This is discouraging for our first trip there this summer. But it’s also mid July, so maybe things will be better at least for COVID. May be luck of the draw for A/C, but hope that isn’t too bad. We are so excited for this trip....hope it doesn’t fall flat.

You will love it there. Aulani is hugely popular and the majority of reports are positive. If the resort was really that horrible, we would be hearing about it from countless people instead of just a few here and there. Not saying that things can't go wrong, but we also need to be aware of the times that we are in right now and everything will not be the same as it used to be. Have fun!

I agree, but is that a state closure rule or an Aulani thing? I live in NY but I know spas were one of the last things to re-open here. But they are open now. If its not a state requirement, then I do wonder why the spa would still be closed - short staffed? Overly cautious? The spa has to be a big money maker for them and its certainly a draw for adults.
I’m not sure but I do know other spas on the island were open.

You will love it there. Aulani is hugely popular and the majority of reports are positive. If the resort was really that horrible, we would be hearing about it from countless people instead of just a few here and there. Not saying that things can't go wrong, but we also need to be aware of the times that we are in right now and everything will not be the same as it used to be. Have fun!
If you’ve never been there before and have nothing to compare it to agree do you have an amazing time! I have financially invested in this resort so I am more critical than the average person that is just visiting or paying rack rate. As a DVC owner paying thousands of dollars worth of membership and maintenance dues every year I want to make sure that I can see my investment is being taken care of. My review of this past visit should really only be looked at from another DVC members perspective.

We will be there in just under 3 weeks. I belong to a couple of Aulani FB groups and have not heard anyone complain about the mask rule at the pool. Sounds like that you need to have one on when interacting with cast members, which makes sense. But you obviously don't have your mask at the edge of the pool to put on "right after you get out of the water". The rooms do need a refurbishment. I think that if I got a really shabby room, that I would ask for another one. I guess that I don't know why you have to show your negative results to the hotel if you just showed it at the airport. What do locals do when they stay there? Do they need a negative test to stay at hotels? I think that if everyone has shown a negative test result and are wearing masks, that more can go in the elevator. I have been working with the public throughout this whole thing and have become used to restrictions. I have also been to WDW 3 times in the last 5 months. I think that we will have a great time.
You will have an amazing time! We did swap rooms and our results were pretty much the same with a different view. If you are a local then I think showing your state drivers license would suffice.

We are here right now. I agree it’s probably a different experience with some of the restrictions and closures (we’re first time visitors) but still having a great time. Our room is on the 16th floor and have had no issues at all with the elevators. We checked in Friday afternoon and had literally no wait. They need to check your QR so even if you checked in online, you still need to go to the desk. They had lots of people working and staff couldn’t have been nicer. Our studio OV room is in good shape, but am not a big fan of the mattress. It’s a little too firm for my taste. Had drinks and apps at Olelo room last night and it was really good. Mask wearing is in full force. You can definitely go from water/pool back to your chair without it. It seems to be more in effect for when you’re just walking around in the pool area or vicinity. This has just been our experience, others may feel differently.

Wow, this sounds really disappointing! Starting to get a little worried about our upcoming trip. Thinking maybe we should cancel/postpone, but several families are meeting up there. What to do?!

Thanks for sharing.
I think you will have an amazing time. I am being extra critical because I have a deed at Aulani and want to make sure that I am getting a return on my investment. Please don’t take my review as an indication that you will have the same experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter