At first they didn't want me to come, now they don't want me to leave! April 2021 F&G TR (Updated 9/6!)

Guys, I found something kinda awesome today....an OG trip report circa 2000!

Digging through my closet looking for work clothes to go back to the office (ugh) actually was a good thing!

Some observations:
- Why are my highlighted rides at MK Dumbo, the carousel, and Tom Sawyers Island??? :rotfl:
-Um, did we really go to Blizzard Beach only to shop? :confused3
-Apparently I was at one point that person who actually works out on vacation. :rotfl2:These days I think running around the park all day is enough of a workout!

-Remember when you could make mix CDs of Disney music in the parks?? I have like 5 from AK of music from around that park!

Hammocks at Nomad is a genius idea! Love those yucca fries that come with the sliders. So good. It really is the best addition to Animal Kingdom ever - including Flight of Passage! I love the cavalcades too. I really hope they keep them up even as we return to normal.

Yeah, if they had hammocks out there I would never leave! And yes, those fries were amazing! It would be awesome if they kept the cavalcades, I loved being able to watch them go by while enjoying the food and drinks at Nomad. I really do love that place!

Love that!

It was so cute! Also so impressed that he even noticed me!

I love Nomads so much ...it s my favourite place to relax and enjoy a drink and nibblies. :)

Me too, it is such a great spot. Can't believe I never experienced the outdoor seating until this last trip, but it is now my favorite place to chill in the park!

I swear we were thinking alike on our AK day!, I won’t say much since I haven’t written about it yet. I totally agree on the Nomad vibe, love it!

Ohhhh, the suspense! Can't wait to read about yours!

I also found Dinosaur confusing at times with the markers, we love this ride and managed to get 4 rides in during our stay lol 😝

Glad I'm not the only one! And wow, 4 rides on it during your stay? That's impressive! It is a really fun ride, although I never understood why they don't do the picture when the big dino drops down at the end, that part is way scarier than where they do take the picture!

Nomad Lounge sounded perfect! We have gone there once now. But we had to sit inside as there was the only place with an empty table.

It was amazing, I actually warned my mom that I may insist we spend a good chunk of an afternoon there on our September trip! :rotfl2: Inside is still pretty amazing, I love the atmosphere, and of course the food and drinks! (especially the drinks!)

Nomad Lounge is my FAVORITE! It's the one place I told my husband we absolutely have to go next week. Definitely planning on showing up early so we can get a seat outside to watch the cavalcades!

Isn't it amazing? I love it, and it's sooooo relaxing. It was super hard to leave, I wish I could have stayed for a few more hours! Good idea to get there early for your trip, I expected a bit of a line would build before opening, but I was surprised that it was enough to fill up the outside right when it opened. Hope you have a fantastic trip, and of course hope you have a great time at Nomad!

Remember when you could make mix CDs of Disney music in the parks??
NO!!! But I want to do that now!?!

That was an amazing trip report. I also love the use of gold paint pen on black paper... Totally something I would have done back in the day.

NO!!! But I want to do that now!?!

OMG, it was awesome! They used to have these kiosks around the parks where you could select like 10-12 songs and it would burn them on a CD. I was obsessed with them back in the late 90s early 00s. Still sad they got rid of them!

That was an amazing trip report. I also love the use of gold paint pen on black paper... Totally something I would have done back in the day.

Haha, thanks! I love to see how differently we toured back then vs now. And yes, the gold on black is amazing, I don't know why I stopped doing that. My teenage self was on to something! :rotfl2:

What an amazing find! You were a DISer before you even knew it. :) Ah, River Country. I have such fond memories of it, albeit hazy. And I am now wondering what else was in that water with us. Also fond memories of Tapestry of Nations. Do you remember your dinner at V&A? And you were in the parade? What fun memories to find.

What an amazing find! You were a DISer before you even knew it. :) Ah, River Country. I have such fond memories of it, albeit hazy. And I am now wondering what else was in that water with us. Also fond memories of Tapestry of Nations. Do you remember your dinner at V&A? And you were in the parade? What fun memories to find.

It really is! There are also tons of pictures, and apparently every guide map/piece of paper Disney gave us in the same box dating from what looks like 1996 to 2004. I can't wait to go through the rest of this! Also, shocked that back in the day they released new park guides every week!

And yes, we loved River Country! I remember my dad was obsessed with it, and he usually hated swimming. Something about that place brought out the kid in him! I'll have to post some throwback pictures from that trip one of these days.

I vaguely remember that dinner at V&A. I do remember it was my first time wearing a dress since I was maybe 10 (I was 18 at the time), and I was super uncomfortable. But from more recent conversations with my mom, I apparently loved the meal, which makes sense since we've been back since!

For the parade....I think that one of the characters in it pulled me into it to dance? I'm not fully sure, but I found an envelope full of streamers labeled "parade" so I think those were from it, and apparently I thought it was special enough to collect the used streamers! :rotfl:

We absolutely love Nomad Lounge (and Tiffins)! We've had some good times there with friends and of course good snacks and drinks. Definitely one of our top fave lounges on property!

Day 2, Part 4: Some Feathered Friends!

We last left off with me arriving at the bird show. The place was already pretty full by the time I arrived around 1:20 for the 1:30 show, but they still had some seats left and I got a decent seat in the upper tier right at the end of a row.

So in the weeks prior to my trip I had been watching a lot of livestreams and saw one of this show, so was pretty familiar with it. Well, this show it appears they changed the shoelace bit….or perhaps what happened wasn’t supposed to happen. I couldn’t quite tell... Regardless, it was pretty funny! Here's a video of that part.

I do kind of wish I had gotten there a bit earlier to sit a bit closer since the stage was pretty far away, but it was nice that some birds did fly right by during the show!

It was a really cute show, I’m so glad I went to see it! Back in the late 90s/early 00s we used to watch the bird show every trip and I remember loving it, but for some odd reason we stopped going on our more recent trips. So I’m glad I made time for it this trip!

After the show I wanted to stop and get a picture of the Dug and Russell statue, mostly the Dug one since he is my dogs namesake. As I was walking up to it there was no one there, but just as I arrived a family with a stroller stopped right in front of the statue for a break and parked the stroller directly in front of the statues. There were a few of us who were trying to get pictures with the statues, but the family that parked the stroller in front of them were totally oblivious they were blocking a photo-op.

I finally just decided to go for a side view shot of the statues and move on. I was getting tired and needed an AC break!

I made my way out of the park stopping at one more PP photographer on the way out.

And once again I totally forgot to take off my mask.

There was a bit of a wait for the bus this afternoon, roughly 20 minutes. I was a bit surprised since there was already a pretty decent line when I got there too. After waiting almost 20 minutes a BWI bus pulled up to the stop next to ours, and the family in front of me opted to go hop into that line instead. Of course, the second they made it over there, the YC/BC bus pulled up! :rotfl2:

Fortunately, there was room for all of us on the YC/BC bus, so they hopped back over to the right line.

When I got back to the hotel I took a nice break in the room to rest and cool off for a bit. I have to say, this sudden increase in activity was exhausting. In past trips I would have headed right to the pool when I got back, but this trip all I wanted to do was go lay down! So while I hate that we’re going back to the office, it is actually a good thing since now I’m back to walking 6+ miles a day where before I was lucky if I made it 1 mile! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, this past year has made me so lazy!:rotfl:

Next Up: So Much Food!

Last edited:
We absolutely love Nomad Lounge (and Tiffins)! We've had some good times there with friends and of course good snacks and drinks. Definitely one of our top fave lounges on property!

Isn't it great? Love both Nomad and Tiffins! Can't wait to go back in September!

After the show I wanted to stop and get a picture of the Dug and Russell statue, mostly the Dug one since he is my dogs namesake. As I was walking up to it there was no one there, but just as I arrived a family with a stroller stopped right in front of the statue for a break and parked the stroller directly in front of the statues. There were a few of us who were trying to get pictures with the statues, but the family that parked the stroller in front of them were totally oblivious they were blocking a photo-op.
Oh my goodness, that is so annoying. I would have had to say something!
When I got back to the hotel I took a nice break in the room to rest and cool off for a bit. I have to say, this sudden increase in activity was exhausting. In past trips I would have headed right to the pool when I got back, but this trip all I wanted to do was go lay down! So while I hate that we’re going back to the office, it is actually a good thing since now I’m back to walking 6+ miles a day where before I was lucky if I made it 1 mile! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, this past year has made me so lazy!:rotfl:
We have been back and forth with being on school and teaching online and I must say that when I am teaching from home, I am sitting so much. I joined a 100 km in a month walking challenge which is helping a bit but I really need to get Disney ready!

Fun fact ... I am oddly terrified of birds so this is as close as I will ever get to that show. :rotfl:It's fun to rediscover favorites. Ugh on the oblivious family blocking the statues. That family probably walks side by side holding hands and taking up the whole walkway too. 🙄 I've been extra tired on my recent trips as well!

Oh my goodness, that is so annoying. I would have had to say something!

I know, people can be so oblivious!

We have been back and forth with being on school and teaching online and I must say that when I am teaching from home, I am sitting so much. I joined a 100 km in a month walking challenge which is helping a bit but I really need to get Disney ready!

Ohhhh, that's a great idea to join a challenge! It's amazing how much more sitting is done while working from home vs at work, I'm happy that now, in theory, my September Disney trip should be a bit less exhausting with the additional walking I'm doing every day!

Fun fact ... I am oddly terrified of birds so this is as close as I will ever get to that show. :rotfl:It's fun to rediscover favorites. Ugh on the oblivious family blocking the statues. That family probably walks side by side holding hands and taking up the whole walkway too. 🙄 I've been extra tired on my recent trips as well!

Oh yeah, that show would definitely not be for you! And omg, the families who block the entire walkways drive me nuts! It's always the super slow moving families that do that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter