• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ArriveCAN App might be going away soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mama to 7 and we often fly with the youngest 5. Doing the arrivecan for a big family is such a chore! I'm glad it's going away - give how things are handled now it doesn't seem worth the expense of time and support.

Until a formal announcement is made, which they said will be coming over the next week, we really know nothing. As I previously said I return to Canada the first week of October so I will probably do the app just to, hopefully, keep things smooth for my arrival. There could be a few bumps in that first few days.
I thought there has been an announcement made about ArriveCan. It will be voluntary starting Sept. 30th? This is what I read yesterday...
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/ne...sedgntp&cvid=c77a77bec4a345eda2d085b391eacf77

Please do report back on how you make out. It will help us decide.

I thought there has been an announcement made about ArriveCan. It will be voluntary starting Sept. 30th? This is what I read yesterday...
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/ne...sedgntp&cvid=c77a77bec4a345eda2d085b391eacf77

Please do report back on how you make out. It will help us decide.
While it's all been announced that it is happening, the 'official' announcement is coming down on Monday. Apparently they are still debating about masking on trains/planes etc.

They were talking about this on the radio the other day. The host said they should keep it but make a separate lane for those who use it. You put in all your info and how long you were away and it would speed up the border crossing. Those you don't want to use it go in a seperate lane.

They were talking about this on the radio the other day. The host said they should keep it but make a separate lane for those who use it. You put in all your info and how long you were away and it would speed up the border crossing. Those you don't want to use it go in a seperate lane.
LOL...I like that idea but I can only imagine the things that people would be saying about separate lines. It would some how be biased. Some sort of breach of privacy when other people can see which line you are in :rolleyes: We'd have a whole new reason for a trucker protest.

I work in healthcare and we have rules, rules and more rules. So at this point I could care less about any of this stuff. Use the app, don't use the app....mask or no masks, etc. I'm over it and am fine to just do what I'm asked to do.

LOL...I like that idea but I can only imagine the things that people would be saying about separate lines. It would some how be biased. Some sort of breach of privacy when other people can see which line you are in :rolleyes: We'd have a whole new reason for a trucker protest.

I work in healthcare and we have rules, rules and more rules. So at this point I could care less about any of this stuff. Use the app, don't use the app....mask or no masks, etc. I'm over it and am fine to just do what I'm asked to do.
It wouldn't have anything to do with that. It would basically be you declaring where you were and how much you are bringing back ahead of time.

It wouldn't have anything to do with that. It would basically be you declaring where you were and how much you are bringing back ahead of time.
Maybe I'm missing something here........your declaration info and ArriveCan info are not the same. The declaration is not optional. So I don't see how there could be two lines....everyone has to use the kiosks for the declaration anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something here........your declaration info and ArriveCan info are not the same. The declaration is not optional. So I don't see how there could be two lines....everyone has to use the kiosks for the declaration anyway.
I'm talking more about the land crossing not flying.

I had no trouble with ArriveCan until I did. It incorrectly flagged me as Covid positive when I wasn’t and myself and everyone I travelled with got phoned and emailed multiple times a day .

Even when the CBC posted an article that this was a known error ( 20% of users had been affected) it didn’t stop. It was annoying . Especially the cranky message that it was “In my best interest to stop ignoring these calls “. At this point I had talked to no less than three agents who had told me it was a glitch .

End of the world ? No . But I think it’s probably a lot of wasted time and resources and slowing down an already backlogged industry. It wasn’t effective anymore.

You can do your declaration within ArriveCan (yes, separate information but single app for entering the data). In theory, it allowed you to skip the kiosk on arrive. I have NEXUS, so didn’t use it, so not sure how well it actually worked.

I had no trouble with ArriveCan until I did. It incorrectly flagged me as Covid positive when I wasn’t and myself and everyone I travelled with got phoned and emailed multiple times a day .

Even when the CBC posted an article that this was a known error ( 20% of users had been affected) it didn’t stop. It was annoying . Especially the cranky message that it was “In my best interest to stop ignoring these calls “. At this point I had talked to no less than three agents who had told me it was a glitch .

End of the world ? No . But I think it’s probably a lot of wasted time and resources and slowing down an already backlogged industry. It wasn’t effective anymore.

We had the exact same issue this summer; having used ArriveCan 5 times previously I didn't think it was a bad as it was and that people questioning it were just being difficult. Turns out that it really is not very good for anything.

Arrived in Buffalo on a Sunday, completed our ArriveCan and crossed at the Peace Bridge without any issues. Tuesday we start getting emails about 'arriving with symptoms', 'not submitting to required testing', and another one about failing to quarantine (No names attached). All listed the correct PHAC number (1-833-784-4397) as the number that we would be contacted from, but at the time multiple news outlets were carrying stories of incorrect ArriveCan notices so I didn't think much about it.

Thursday received a call from PHAC from the correct number, officer starts with asking why we didn't do our arrival testing, coming back to Canada with symptoms, and the $15,000 worth of fines we were going to get along with criminal charges for not following the Quarantine Act. I start asking basically what was going on and that we were never given tests and she said we were given them when we arrived at Pearson.... to which I responded we crossed at the Peace Bridge. Officer double checked our ArriveCan receipt, said something was wrong and had to check into things and would get right back to me.

45 minutes on hold later she comes back on and says it seemed like someone at Pearson had checked a name similar to DS incorrectly when assigning the test in database, which to me is a both massive failure (DS's legal name is almost 40 characters long and very unique) and a of a violation on his health records. She apologized, said it would get corrected (we're NEXUS so I don't want to have issues during his next renewal), and thanked me 'for being kind' and not yelling so I surmise this had happened a lot to her.

Forwarded the whole mess to my MP and actually got a hand-written response that no less than 16 other people in our riding had had the same issue and it was being worked on.

I did not have issue with completing ArriveCan, but if you have something that is mandatory, it needs to be big free. For one trip - it kept crashing and even caused my phone to reboot. For a cruise, it kept crashing everytime my mom went to select the ship name - had to delete the app and use the website to do the form (then re-install the app 🤪)

My last trip for sure (AC) I was never asked to show it at bag drop. They had an attestation at check in instead.

I believe the “optional” piece will be to use it for completing declaration. I have Nexus so I never used it. Breezed right through customs on Wednesday in YYZ. Although I kinda zoned out when they asked purpose of trip …I said Orlando 😂 He let it slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter