Are you planning on getting a Covid-19 vaccination?

Are you planning to get a Covid-19 Vaccination?

• Yes

Votes: 161 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 15.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 9.7%

• Total voters
I agree. Any idea how that willbe enforced? Would it be part of the RealID? What about for kids? It's interesting times we are in.
For me it will be a work thing. We have a certain date we have to get it by and if we don’t there are repercussions. I don’t know how it will work for everyone else.

I suspect they will make you show proof of vaccination, either on your phone or carry with you some proof. Who wants to be around someone who isn't vaccinated for COVID19? Just as they don't want to be around anyone without a mask.

First, that would be immensely subject to fraud and falsification, to the point of being virtually meaningless. Unless we're talking about employers and businesses being able to connect to a central, secured registry of some sort, which crosses TONS of privacy lines, we're talking about something that anyone with rudimentary photoshop skills could falsify. That's a big part of the reason the "immunity passport" idea has been a non-starter here. Maybe it could happen in countries with more authoritarian governments or weaker privacy laws, but it wouldn't be practical here.

Second, masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting yourself, so someone standing next to you without one is actually putting you at risk. If you're vaccinated, an unvaccinated person standing next to you poses no risk to your health. We have all but eliminated many, many once-common diseases without making vaccinations truly mandatory, and some of those have much higher R0 numbers and therefore require a much higher percentage of the population to be vaccinated to provide herd immunity than it will take with COVID19. If no one has been demanding proof of your measles vaccination (R0 around 18, mortality around 15%) to enter their business, they're not going to do so for COVID19 (R0 around 3, mortality around 1%).

Maybe, probably not anytime soon. Won't be first in line that is for sure, I am not even fully convinced we will feel the same desperate need for it if we get one which is still likely a long time away.

Another one who is not getting the vaccine. Will I get it eventually? We will see. I don't like how it is being rushed. I will watch and see when it comes about and how long testing is done. I am in a low risk category, so I am not the most in need of it.

I plan to!

TOTALLY different, but I remember when the chicken pox vaccine came out in 95. My oldest had the shot soon after. When he went to kindergarten, I found out that he was one of the very few to have had it. The other Moms (and Dads) didn't trust it and said it would be safer to just let their kids get the chicken pox. I was surprised at all of the distrust at the time. A few Moms told me that I would regret letting him have it, as he would more than likely now get chicken pox as an adult when it could be dangerous for him. I am out of the loop on childhood vaccination shots at my age, but I think the chicken pox vaccination is pretty standard today.
See this is one of the vaccines we did not do. I wanted my kids to get it naturally, and thankfully 2 of them have. I was pregnant with my youngest, so we will test him to see if he is immune to it before we choose to vaccinate him against it. This has already been discussed with his pediatrician.

Sure, no reason not to. Other than normal vaccine concerns of any other vaccine, allergy, etc.

I plan to!

TOTALLY different, but I remember when the chicken pox vaccine came out in 95. My oldest had the shot soon after. When he went to kindergarten, I found out that he was one of the very few to have had it. The other Moms (and Dads) didn't trust it and said it would be safer to just let their kids get the chicken pox. I was surprised at all of the distrust at the time. A few Moms told me that I would regret letting him have it, as he would more than likely now get chicken pox as an adult when it could be dangerous for him. I am out of the loop on childhood vaccination shots at my age, but I think the chicken pox vaccination is pretty standard today.

My SIL and circle of friends refused to get their children the chicken pox shot. One of the kids went to a chicken pox party at a family members house and came down with the chicken pox a week or so later. The child died from complications. Needless to say my SIL went and got her DDs the vaccination.

First, that would be immensely subject to fraud and falsification, to the point of being virtually meaningless. Unless we're talking about employers and businesses being able to connect to a central, secured registry of some sort, which crosses TONS of privacy lines, we're talking about something that anyone with rudimentary photoshop skills could falsify. That's a big part of the reason the "immunity passport" idea has been a non-starter here. Maybe it could happen in countries with more authoritarian governments or weaker privacy laws, but it wouldn't be practical here.

Second, masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting yourself, so someone standing next to you without one is actually putting you at risk. If you're vaccinated, an unvaccinated person standing next to you poses no risk to your health. We have all but eliminated many, many once-common diseases without making vaccinations truly mandatory, and some of those have much higher R0 numbers and therefore require a much higher percentage of the population to be vaccinated to provide herd immunity than it will take with COVID19. If no one has been demanding proof of your measles vaccination (R0 around 18, mortality around 15%) to enter their business, they're not going to do so for COVID19 (R0 around 3, mortality around 1%).

I'm a teacher. We require proof of vaccinations before kids start kindergarten and then proof once again when they get to middle school, which is the level I teach. Maybe it's just where I'm at, but parents will just send their kids to school with the vaccination chart they receive from the doctor or the local health center. Many doctors will send a copy as well upon request by the parent.

Parents know that if their child doesn't have proof of the required shots they won't be allowed to attend school until they do. If a parent signs a religious or personal belief statement against the vaccines, they are well aware that the child will not be allowed at school if there is an outbreak.

As for employers, it will probably depend on the field you're in. I had to show proof of vaccinations before I was accepted into college, again when I applied to the education school, when I applied to student teach, and then again when I applied for my teaching position.

Other employers may just assume that because you went to school and or college where the vaccinations are required that you've had them and therefore do not ask for proof. With COVID 19, however, this is a brand new game.

I'm a teacher. We require proof of vaccinations before kids start kindergarten and then proof once again when they get to middle school, which is the level I teach. Maybe it's just where I'm at, but parents will just send their kids to school with the vaccination chart they receive from the doctor or the local health center. Many doctors will send a copy as well upon request by the parent.

Parents know that if their child doesn't have proof of the required shots they won't be allowed to attend school until they do. If a parent signs a religious or personal belief statement against the vaccines, they are well aware that the child will not be allowed at school if there is an outbreak.

As for employers, it will probably depend on the field you're in. I had to show proof of vaccinations before I was accepted into college, again when I applied to the education school, when I applied to student teach, and then again when I applied for my teaching position.

Other employers may just assume that because you went to school and or college where the vaccinations are required that you've had them and therefore do not ask for proof. With COVID 19, however, this is a brand new game.

I do expect for people working in education or health care it will be truly mandatory. High risk of exposure paired with close contact with vulnerable populations makes that make sense, and that's something that is already well-established and accepted in employment law.

I also expect it will be truly mandatory for colleges, which aren't bound to offer the same exemption paths that K-12 schools have to offer. Again, a situation with lots of people in close quarters and an established precedent for making vaccines mandatory.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread, and the one most likely to push me to get it even if I do have misgivings, is international travel. I wouldn't be surprised to see countries make vaccination a condition of entry for non-citizens, especially those countries that managed to contain the virus in its first wave. Given the inherently optional nature of foreign travel and the right of governments to set their own entry requirements, I think this is another point where mandatory vaccination would make sense.

I don't think this is a "brand new game", though, and I don't expect to see our domestic laws rewritten to allow vaccines to be made truly mandatory, much less to let businesses require proof of vaccination of customers. It is new right now, and there's a lot of fear. But fear can't be sustained at the levels of the initial shock for as long as it will take to get a vaccine, and when clearer thinking begins to creep in, the recognition that as diseases go, none are good but this one is not nearly as bad as others we've conquered will come with it. We're going to need about 2/3 of the population to have either natural immunity or vaccination to stop future outbreaks, and we're very likely to get there without new laws to force compliance.

My SIL and circle of friends refused to get their children the chicken pox shot. One of the kids went to a chicken pox party at a family members house and came down with the chicken pox a week or so later. The child died from complications. Needless to say my SIL went and got her DDs the vaccination.

OMG, how tragic!! Not sure as a Mom how you would ever forgive yourself for purposely exposing your child to a virus that killed them.

For herd immunity to work, you need to have a certain percentage of the community vaccinated. There have been measles outbreaks in some US communities during the last few years because not enough people have been vaccinated for there to be herd immunity. We mistakenly believed the measles were gone but we were wrong.

Obviously you didn’t participate in the “conspiracy theory” thread. 😉😉

There is no need for documentation of vaccination. Here’s how “they” make it mandatory. “The Chip” will be included in the jab and you won’t be able to do anything other than pay taxes if the chip doesn’t properly activate the detectors.

I am on a waiting list to get the vaccination for
Shingles-why,am II waiting. Take a guess, but I do not want to get banned for talking politics.

You don't research the risks of having something injected into your body?

No. I trust my doctor and the scientific community that develops vaccines. I also don't tend to point fingers or try and assign blame when bad things happen to me, but that's just how I am. I value the science behind vaccines and trust that the benefits outweigh any small risks.

I am on a waiting list to get the vaccination for
Shingles-why,am II waiting. Take a guess, but I do not want to get banned for talking politics.
They are pretty readily available now, Mari, after the initial rush and shortage. I had my 2 doses late last year at Walgreens.

No. I trust my doctor and the scientific community that develops vaccines. I also don't tend to point fingers or try and assign blame when bad things happen to me, but that's just how I am. I value the science behind vaccines and trust that the benefits outweigh any small risks.

I’m in the research every last one camp. My eldest has only missed one vaccination and it was because I researched the ingredients and was concerned he might have an adverse reaction. I brought it up to his doctor and she actually agreed with me. She’s incredibly pro vaccine, but in the isolated case of my son (based on his unique health issues at the time) she agreed that the possible benefit of the vaccine did not outweigh the risk. My youngest did receive it.

Back when the number floating around for mortality was above 3% I just kind of assumed I and my whole family would get the vaccine. Now I don’t know. There are a lot of factors: 1) Do antibodies equal immunity? 2) Will the virus be more or less virulent by then? 3) Are there known side-effects? 4) Will we have antibodies or even be able to get a test to find out? 5) How comfortable am I with a vaccine pushed through that quickly? 6) What is the health risk vs. reward?

We are highly unlikely to be one of the first ones offered the vaccine anyway. We’re homeschooling so we don’t have to be concerned with school compliance.

Edited to add: I’ve seen people irreparably harmed by things that were “safe.” In one instance it’s a medication we now know is harmful, but we didn’t then. In another case, she was sadly one of the “vaccine injured” statistics. She’s just a number to most people and a theoretical outcome. I still decided for my kids that vaccine is worth the very rare risk.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter