Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

That’s actually an interesting point. Americans tend to work more hours in a week than Europeans. And a lot of the working poor here work 2 or more jobs a day to make ends meet. There are only so many hours in a day so ppl have to save time somewhere.
We also work more weeks than Europeans with our pitiful vacation standards we just accept. lol.

... and my pedestrian told me not to get into food fights with my DD24 who was a vegetarian from birth even though my DH and I are carnivores. I tried to get her to eat meat for a couple of years but failed, so I began to make meals that I could add meat to for us or even separate meals. It really wasn't a big deal. My DD is still a vegetarian, active, fit and slim.
Reflecting well that we’re all different. 👍 People figure out what works for them.

“Try having that attitude when you can’t get a kid who’s melting down to eat anything.”

That’s what I’m told when I opine that it’s all about what kids are exposed to, and parents’ commitment to teaching. Infants in the South Pacific are given some fish oil in their baby formulae, because if you won’t eat fish in the South Pacific you ain’t eatin’.

If we kids ever got finicky, my dad would say, “OK, don’t eat. You’ll eat when you’re hungry.” We ate. And we mostly will eat (and seek out) anything to this day.

Just no…. I have 25 years of horrible eating/feeding/food/texture/taste aversions with my now oldest son. In 2023 people should know that stereotyping and lumping things together is not the way to go. We all know there are picky eaters that are created with parenting choices and some are for medical reasons. And no you absolutely would not have this attitude if you had any actual experience in this arena. I do. It’s insulting and a trigger for moms that know to continue to have to educate on these matters when it really feels like we are acually having to defend ourselves against judgement instead.

All cultures have people that are picky eaters. Every culture. Because every culture has people born with preferences and aversions. Some are environmental eating issues, some are genetic eating issues. All are not the same, but all are issues that present parenting challenges so if there’s anybody having attitudes about food aversions/preferences maybe they should just keep those attitudes away from the already struggling parents.

My step-father-in-law has just (like within a week) been put on a low carb diet with diabetes. It is NOT meant for weight loss. It's to control his blood sugar. Should he lose any weight that would be beneficial to him but it's not why he's on that diet.

Most of these diets (more like fad diets) have not been found to have long-term healthy success. Short-term yes but sustained for years and for the body to get the proper nutrition not necessarily. Yo-yo dieting as a term exists for a reason.

In general most people have to enjoy what they are doing for it to stick. When you stop enjoying something it becomes very difficult to keep doing it. Also it's a bit alarming but too many people get into diets because so and so told them it was great (just look at the conversations on this thread and what has been brought up), such and such was heavily advertised but how many people can truly say they went to their doctor and spoke at length about it? I know someone from my high school who one day started the keto diet and she was exercising. Did she lose weight? She did, but then eventually dropped off from keto leading to her feeling bad about herself for her lost progress (she posted on FB her progress). Then she felt guilt about that and so she started back on keto but started noticing issues with her body. Keto is but one diet that can be very harmful to your health overall if you do it without consulting your doctor and getting checked out before hand and we're learning that a keto diet can cause poor health. Keto is but one example to use.
Unfortunately you are completely wrong. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic several years ago and my doctors initial suggestion was to put me on metformin. I asked him to let me try something else. Around the same time I found that my company offered a program to manage/correct type 2 diabetes by food lifestyle modification. You world call it "keto diet" but in reality it's really simply paying more attention to the foods you consume and how they affect your blood sugar and ketone levels. Without going into a lot of detail you'll get good results if what and how you eat results in blood sugar levels measured around 100 and ketone levels at 0.5 and above - indicating a mild level of ketosis. If one is in ketosis then the body will start using stored energy (fat) as an energy source in addition to the energy provided in the food consumed. An analogy between high-carb energy vs stored energy via ketosis would be like comparing a firecracker to a candle. Both release heat and light - one does it in a quick burst and the other does it in a more controlled and measured way.

What many don't take into account is that our body is still prehistoric in the way it manages energy. We are the product of millions of years where the environment provided meat, fish, some vegetables and very few high-card items. In addition the availability of food was sporadic - that's why we store excess consumption as fat because it's just stored energy. This was there to get the body through the inevitable lean times. We've completely changed this in the last 50 to 100 years. Far more food available and a huge reliance on processed food. Think of it - the "three squares a day" is a MODERN trait and has only become commonly accepted in the last few generations.

The hard part about eating this way is that eating any other way is simply too easy. Studies have shown it's easier to give up smoking or drugs than to give up sugar. In addition your own comments show the social stigma many associate with this type of lifestyle despite that long term it's actually healthy for the body. It accomplished my purpose - I never went on medication for diabetes. I also lost significant weight (not a goal, just a pleasant side effect) and have stopped taking some other medications. I'm in my 60's and have the same general health as I had in my 20's.

The best way to describe this is that I stopped telling my body what I wanted and simply started listening to it telling me what it needed. I am happier, healthier and will likely live longer due to this.

... and my pedestrian told me not to get into food fights with my DD24 who was a vegetarian from birth even though my DH and I are carnivores. I tried to get her to eat meat for a couple of years but failed, so I began to make meals that I could add meat to for us or even separate meals. It really wasn't a big deal. My DD is still a vegetarian, active, fit and slim.
I don't believe you and your DH are carnivores but rather omnivores.

ford family

I think we need a balance between personal responsibility and government regulation. Without the regulations, it gets harder and harder to find cleaner options because the companies trying to do that can't compete with the mass-volume cheap stuff. I know it's best to make things at home, but sometimes I really need something a little easier, more portable, etc. and it would be nice if all those choices weren't crammed with unnecessary dyes, etc.
And equal access to clean foods. I live in the garden state, in the rural farming part. In the summer I never have to go to the store for fresh, organic vegetables. I can go to a farm stand and get nearly everything we need, or we can modify our diets to eat everything locally. An hour away, even in the same state, there’s no farm stands. Try getting locally grown organic produce anywhere near a big city. We can try and do better that way also.

An apple out here is an apple. Take my neighbor’s Apple to NYC or anywhere closer to sub/urban area and that apple is now an organic, locally grown, farm to table $$$$ Apple.

For educational purposes. Please read about this particular eating disorder that is finally being recognized. It’s time to stop making negative comments on what other people may and may not eat. There are a multitude of disorders and disabilities the general population is unaware yet people can easily acknowledge the reality of disorders like bulemia and anoxia with compassion even when they lack understanding but they have attitudes with the people with food aversions and preferences.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/avoidant-restrictive-food-intake-disorder-arfid/

Just no…. I have 25 years of horrible eating/feeding/food/texture/taste aversions with my now oldest son. In 2023 people should know that stereotyping and lumping things together is not the way to go. We all know there are picky eaters that are created with parenting choices and some are for medical reasons. And no you absolutely would not have this attitude if you had any actual experience in this arena. I do. It’s insulting and a trigger for moms that know to continue to have to educate on these matters when it really feels like we are acually having to defend ourselves against judgement instead.

All cultures have people that are picky eaters. Every culture. Because every culture has people born with preferences and aversions. Some are environmental eating issues, some are genetic eating issues. All are not the same, but all are issues that present parenting challenges so if there’s anybody having attitudes about food aversions/preferences maybe they should just keep those attitudes away from the already struggling parents.
No one’s trying to argue that every “picky eater” is the victim of bad food education. But when generations of kids are fed a diet that consists primarily of fried chicken nuggets, pizza, and mac & cheese, we’re bound to have an epidemic of real food-deprived adults. I don’t need to be lectured about those who have legitimate food issues.

Ok
No one’s trying to argue that every “picky eater” is the victim of bad food education. But when generations of kids are fed a diet that consists primarily of fried chicken nuggets, pizza, and mac & cheese, we’re bound to have an epidemic of real food-deprived adults. I don’t need to be lectured about those who have legitimate food issues.
Actually that exactly what you said - " I opine that it’s all about what kids are exposed to, and parents’ commitment to teaching.". No it isn't. And no, not all kids will "just eat when they are hungry". You started the lecturing. And your comments show that clearly you do need some additional information.

Unfortunately you are completely wrong. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic several years ago and my doctors initial suggestion was to put me on metformin. I asked him to let me try something else. Around the same time I found that my company offered a program to manage/correct type 2 diabetes by food lifestyle modification. You world call it "keto diet" but in reality it's really simply paying more attention to the foods you consume and how they affect your blood sugar and ketone levels. Without going into a lot of detail you'll get good results if what and how you eat results in blood sugar levels measured around 100 and ketone levels at 0.5 and above - indicating a mild level of ketosis. If one is in ketosis then the body will start using stored energy (fat) as an energy source in addition to the energy provided in the food consumed. An analogy between high-carb energy vs stored energy via ketosis would be like comparing a firecracker to a candle. Both release heat and light - one does it in a quick burst and the other does it in a more controlled and measured way.

What many don't take into account is that our body is still prehistoric in the way it manages energy. We are the product of millions of years where the environment provided meat, fish, some vegetables and very few high-card items. In addition the availability of food was sporadic - that's why we store excess consumption as fat because it's just stored energy. This was there to get the body through the inevitable lean times. We've completely changed this in the last 50 to 100 years. Far more food available and a huge reliance on processed food. Think of it - the "three squares a day" is a MODERN trait and has only become commonly accepted in the last few generations.

The hard part about eating this way is that eating any other way is simply too easy. Studies have shown it's easier to give up smoking or drugs than to give up sugar. In addition your own comments show the social stigma many associate with this type of lifestyle despite that long term it's actually healthy for the body. It accomplished my purpose - I never went on medication for diabetes. I also lost significant weight (not a goal, just a pleasant side effect) and have stopped taking some other medications. I'm in my 60's and have the same general health as I had in my 20's.

The best way to describe this is that I stopped telling my body what I wanted and simply started listening to it telling me what it needed. I am happier, healthier and will likely live longer due to this.
I don't have a clue what you think I'm wrong about nor your comment about social stigma. It sounds like from your comments you think I'm talking about something else because you're thinking about your personal health diagnosis. What I was drawing attention to was the entire focus on losing weight causes it's own issues. People try out diets without consulting with doctors, without understanding their own health and they can cause serious significant damage to their health not only medically but also psychologically (that was the part I was discussing about dropping off keto diet for my old high school classmate and how she felt). Keto was an example and I explicitly said that. You appear to have read into this and said "oh hold on but my diagnosis..." yes well TBH I wasn't talking about you and your situation.

I was speaking also towards the true keto diet. You are more than welcome to look up the evidence on this if you would like but those who follow the keto diet longitudinal studies following people for 12 years have found to be at an increased risk (2X from what I saw) of heart disease largely due to the saturated fats. It's not for someone with kidney issues among several other health related issues and has shown an increase of kidney stones. Not only that but those who follow it have been found to be lacking in proper vitamins and minerals.

As far as your diabetic diagnosis also understand I am speaking about my step-father-in-law's situation and it was in response to going on a low carb diet for weight loss that a PP brought up in response to other posters. He's not on a low carb diet to lose weight and those who are on it for that reason (meaning they don't have any other health issues) haven't been shown to have long-term success same as true keto diet. That doesn't mean some people don't benefit from it but people start stuff all the time just because so and so said so.

Technically for my step-father-in-law's doctor said he needed to significantly reduce his carbs and follow low carb and also balance out what carbs he is eating with protein. How I know this is I visited him in the hospital last weekend after he had been admitted with a blood sugar level of 400; it was still 249 when we visited him. They've switched his meds and are experimenting with the dosage. He was under orders to call his doctor every time he was about to eat to go over what he would be eating and while we were out to dinner after he had gotten discharged he called his doctor to let him know he was having pork chops with a little bit of mashed potatoes (less portion amount than he ate before) but was advised to not eat the dinner rolls that came with the meal.

And all of your comments are exactly what I'm talking about. You are talking about your body. You appear to have at least discussed with your doctor. Most people who spout stuff conversationally to friends IRL or here on the Board are either not doing what they are doing with the blessings of their doctor with a full body workup with continual check ups OR they are doing something that will work for them but not for others.

In general, as you can see from this thread, people are more focused on weight and losing it but weight is not the measure (or mere measure) of health. Our overall health is comprised of many different facets and are quite individual as a whole. I wish you luck on your diabetic journey but I have no further comments left on this topic.

Some of you might know I’m an Expat living in Germany. And yes, I can confirm that Americans are significantly heavier compared to Europeans and other cultures. This isn’t simply my opinion, but supported by many studies and statistics.

I don’t wanna get into the reasons why but I’ll give two very good examples, one that I just experience today. in a nutshell, American eating culture has nothing to do with nutrition or quality, but based on taste and volume.

1. Portion size in the US is simply insane. it’s not normal. I recently experiences myself when I ate at the cheesecake factory in Hawaii. Granted this place is known for the huge portions , but I literally could’ve shared my meal with three other people. my mom ordered a simple sandwich thing with soup and salad. It wasn’t one sandwich cut into two triangles which would be a normal serving but I think they made seriously like three sandwiches and it was like a platter. And then why do a bread basket before that is so unnecessary no other culture has a basket of carbs put on the table with butter before the meal starts

A collegue just recently got back from a business trip in the states and he said that he just can’t handle eating out anymore there because the portion sizes are just too overwhelming and actually kind of ruins his eating experience

2. I just got back from a weekend trip that involves staying in a Holiday Inn in Germany breakfast was included. Couple months ago, I stayed at a Holiday Inn in the states were breakfast is also included the food offerings between the two buffets cannot have been more different. When I think about it, the US offerings was not even a nutritional value just calorie to compare in the US this is what was at the buffet
1. Whole fruit but it was basically either an apple or orange or banana
2. Yogurt cups.
That’s healthy the rest was:
1. Scrambled eggs that probably came from a container.
2. Breakfast sausage
3. A pancake machine.
4. Cinnamon rolls,, bagels, English muffins, waffles
5. Oatmeal with the packaged ones with sugar.
That’s it.

In Germany today, I don’t even know where to start
Sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, cheese, platter with real high end cheese, lean cold, cuts with real meat, guacamole, real eggs, breakfast, potatoes, fruit salad, that was real fruit not from a can, real fruit and whole pieces, olives, salads, fresh rolls with whole-grain, toast, a little sweet area for cookies, and cakes, not healthy, but just a treat, Like five different types of yogurt that included sugar-free natural yogurt, yogurt toppings, that included Dr., fruit variety of nuts and a fruit. A bunch of other stuff I’m missing.

My ramble above is basically in a nutshell the Holiday Inn in the US is a carb calorie breakfast experience with limited nutritional value versus nutritional value here

I think it’s ok to have different opinions. Just state your opinion and move on. :confused3 We’re all reading and learning.

All of us have unique circumstances and personalities in our lives, and we handle things differently. And that’s ok.

Not sure there’s a right or wrong here, just what works for us individually. And it doesn’t hurt to discuss.

I realize people’s sensitivities get heightened. But this whole thread, by its nature, is sort of inflammatory, isn’t it?

We’re never going to make things better if we can’t discuss it openly, as adults!

Ok

Actually that exactly what you said - " I opine that it’s all about what kids are exposed to, and parents’ commitment to teaching.". No it isn't. And no, not all kids will "just eat when they are hungry". You started the lecturing. And your comments show that clearly you do need some additional information.
No. Not every kid. Of course there are illnesses and conditions. But that’s not really what you’re trying to argue, is it? So yeah, I’ll consider myself lectured. Will this be on the test?

Just wanted to add another funny thing about my holiday inn experience this morning. There was a table of American tourist and the one lady literally brought her huge can of coffee mate powder. I took a picture to post in my Expat group because we would all get a kick out of it.

I’m not criticizing this woman’s choice on how she likes to whiten her coffee. That’s her choice, but it does say something about a food industry that has somehow programmed consumers to actually prefer the taste of fake, artery clogging, unhealthy “creamer“ versus a natural half-and-half, or even milk version.

It also says something about a society that believes that a lower calorie creamer is perhaps healthier for you than perhaps a full fat creamer. And believe somehow keeps you thinner which is ironic because here in Europe, everyone eats full fat cheese, yogurt with fat and not skim milk and are healthier and thinner

Attachments

• IMG_8874.jpeg
    IMG_8874.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 8
No. Not every kid. Of course there are illnesses and conditions. But that’s not really what you’re trying to argue, is it? So yeah, I’ll consider myself lectured. Will this be on the test?
I'm sincerely sorry you feel entitled to consistently dish out your opinion and we should all just agree and any response is a lecture. I thought the poster wrote a quite thoughtful and well reasoned/explained response. Unfortunately for you, other's are also entitled to express their thoughts and opinions. It's a message board. Not your personal blog.

Some of you might know I’m an Expat living in Germany. And yes, I can confirm that Americans are significantly heavier compared to Europeans and other cultures. This isn’t simply my opinion, but supported by many studies and statistics.

I don’t wanna get into the reasons why but I’ll give two very good examples, one that I just experience today. in a nutshell, American eating culture has nothing to do with nutrition or quality, but based on taste and volume.

1. Portion size in the US is simply insane. it’s not normal. I recently experiences myself when I ate at the cheesecake factory in Hawaii. Granted this place is known for the huge portions , but I literally could’ve shared my meal with three other people. my mom ordered a simple sandwich thing with soup and salad. It wasn’t one sandwich cut into two triangles which would be a normal serving but I think they made seriously like three sandwiches and it was like a platter. And then why do a bread basket before that is so unnecessary no other culture has a basket of carbs put on the table with butter before the meal starts

A collegue just recently got back from a business trip in the states and he said that he just can’t handle eating out anymore there because the portion sizes are just too overwhelming and actually kind of ruins his eating experience

2. I just got back from a weekend trip that involves staying in a Holiday Inn in Germany breakfast was included. Couple months ago, I stayed at a Holiday Inn in the states were breakfast is also included the food offerings between the two buffets cannot have been more different. When I think about it, the US offerings was not even a nutritional value just calorie to compare in the US this is what was at the buffet
1. Whole fruit but it was basically either an apple or orange or banana
2. Yogurt cups.
That’s healthy the rest was:
1. Scrambled eggs that probably came from a container.
2. Breakfast sausage
3. A pancake machine.
4. Cinnamon rolls,, bagels, English muffins, waffles
5. Oatmeal with the packaged ones with sugar.
That’s it.

In Germany today, I don’t even know where to start
Sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, cheese, platter with real high end cheese, lean cold, cuts with real meat, guacamole, real eggs, breakfast, potatoes, fruit salad, that was real fruit not from a can, real fruit and whole pieces, olives, salads, fresh rolls with whole-grain, toast, a little sweet area for cookies, and cakes, not healthy, but just a treat, Like five different types of yogurt that included sugar-free natural yogurt, yogurt toppings, that included Dr., fruit variety of nuts and a fruit. A bunch of other stuff I’m missing.

My ramble above is basically in a nutshell the Holiday Inn in the US is a carb calorie breakfast experience with limited nutritional value versus nutritional value here

Just wanted to add another funny thing about my holiday inn experience this morning. There was a table of American tourist and the one lady literally brought her huge can of coffee mate powder. I took a picture to post in my Expat group because we would all get a kick out of it.

I’m not criticizing this woman’s choice on how she likes to whiten her coffee. That’s her choice, but it does say something about a food industry that has somehow programmed consumers to actually prefer the taste of fake, artery clogging, unhealthy “creamer“ versus a natural half-and-half, or even milk version.

It also says something about a society that believes that a lower calorie creamer is perhaps healthier for you than perhaps a full fat creamer. And believe somehow keeps you thinner which is ironic because here in Europe, everyone eats full fat cheese, yogurt with fat and not skim milk and are healthier and thinner

Thank you for both of these, exactly what I have been saying but some (not everyone, :) ) in this thread flamed me for as I am not American.

Or it just speaks to that’s what the lady prefers. You might be over thinking it. Probably are.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson I understood what you were talking about before, and agreed, fwiw. I think terminology may be an issue, ie diabetics are on a “controlled carbohydrate” diet, as opposed to a “low carbohydrate” diet. They can have carbohydrates (which turn into sugars when digested), but within a certain range, say 25G-50G per meal (as directed for their personal situation). So they often need to learn what carbohydrates are, what the best type of carbohydrates are for them to eat, how to make better choices, how to shop, etc. It sounds like your FIL is doing better. What you’ve described is extremely common to see. We deal with it constantly.

@ScottOKW2K I’m glad your health is in check, it sounds like. Good you found what works for you. My husband’s doctor told him ”There’s no such thing as pre-diabetes”. 😳 It was a huge issue with my mom, as well. She was able to get hers in check just with losing 5lbs (pretty tiny) and watching what she ate - but it still said “diabetic” on her chart. Once during an ER visit we finally got her settled down when a random doctor came in, mentioned her “diabetes”, and she got all wound up again and wanted to leave! This minute! Lol. I, personally, have yet to see anyone in their 60s have the body workings of a 20 yr old :teeth: but stranger things have happened, I suppose. Mom’s bones were literally disintegrating when she hit her 90s though the rest of her was pretty healthy and functional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter