Anyone traveled on Celebrity?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
Looking at trying Celebrity and was wondering just how different it is from Royal?

We would pick a caribbean itinerary.

IMHO, Celebrity is more upscale and a bit more elegant. But the newer RCCL ships are very nice also. Celebrity skews a bit older. The entertainment is usually quite good, although we had a terrible comedian and a weird headliner play. Other days were fine, including a fantastic singer and an amazing aerialist couple. Much less teens/kids, but very nice facilities and I'm guessing fine activities. I saw teens throughout the cruise who had obviously met at ice breakers in the teen club.
Bars were fun for adults--but not crazy in your fact stuff. Each evening there was a (somewhat acrobatic) martini pouring show--like a champagne fountain, a back outside bar with a guitarist/singer, plus numerous other venues, some with entertainment-we liked the Irish singers before dinner. Usually something going on evenings in atrium area--70s music/DJ, singers, etc., and always a late night after the last show--Beatlemania, etc. But, never a wild crowd--just fun--including grandma dancing with a 4 yr old, etc.
We love DCL and Princess used to be our #2 when just DH and me, with RCCL #2 for kids. Now, as we have young adults, I'd say Celebrity is maybe #2. Celebrity seems similar to a Princess for elegance, food, with a "hipper" vibe.

We've sailed on both Royal and Celebrity. I'd agree with the PP that Celebrity is a bit more upscale than Royal and that it's slanted more to the older crowd. We've enjoyed both.

I was on Celebrity Summit end of March, out of Miami. I've never been on RCCL but 3 previous Disney cruises.
I thoroughly enjoyed my Celebrity cruise and would definitely cruise that line again, no hesitations. I really loved their broadway shows in the evening, very entertaining. It was a girls only trip to celebrate my mother's 70th bday, she very much appreciated the absence of children compared to when she cruised on Disney with me prior 😄
We are currently thinking of booking RCCL out of Baltimore next fall on the Vision of the Seas for the Canada route. I'm not picky but the age of that ship has me slightly concerned but if I go in with lower expectations maybe I'll be surprised.

We sailed vision last summer in Europe. Ship looked great. We also went in with lower expectations and were pleasantly surprised.

Looking at trying Celebrity and was wondering just how different it is from Royal?

We would pick a caribbean itinerary.
I've cruised with them four times - enjoyed every one. I like the vibe on Celebrity a lot. But I've never sailed with RC - I keep saying I'll try them, but their monster ships with the multiple neighborhoods, ice rinks, huge slides, rock climbing walls just feels a bit too much over the top for me - and I love theme parks! Just looking for something a bit more - can't find the right word - elegant, sophisticated, I guess? - on a cruise.

We don't know if we're "cruise people," so we're taking a test cruise in February with Regent Seven Seas. We have friends who love and swear by Celebrity. If we like our cruise, we'll probably cruise with them at some time in the future.

I haven't yet but their edge series ships are pretty incredible and look luxurious. Watched videos on them. Pure beauty. Would rather them than Royal for that reason ( not saying royal is bad, this just seems more my style )

EDIT: Royal owns them as stated below

Last edited:
Celebrity is a wholly owned subsidiary of RCCL and has been since 1997

My perception is that RCCL is focused on resorts that happen to float and that Celebrity is a bit more focused on ships that have resort services.

Last edited:
Reactions: shh
I have been on 5 Celebrity cruises, all to Bermuda. They have been my most favorite cruises ever. Service and food were top notch. It has been a few years and they were on ships that are no longer part of the fleet (Meridian, Horizon and Zenith (did this one 3x, my FAVORITE ship ever)) but I still count Celebrity as my Favorite line, Princess being 2nd. I really want to try them again. That Edge Class looks amazing.

I've cruised with them four times - enjoyed every one. I like the vibe on Celebrity a lot. But I've never sailed with RC - I keep saying I'll try them, but their monster ships with the multiple neighborhoods, ice rinks, huge slides, rock climbing walls just feels a bit too much over the top for me - and I love theme parks! Just looking for something a bit more - can't find the right word - elegant, sophisticated, I guess? - on a cruise.
What I love about RC ships is that they do a great job of having areas with different vibes. When we travel with kids and we're by the splash pad or sports deck or all the other activities we see all the other families with kids. When we travel just the two of us we don't really go to those places where all the kids are and we enjoy a quieter, more relaxed vibe. But if we feel like going down a water slide, do the surf simulator, or watch a belly flop competition we can do that too.

We were fortunate enough to get to go on Odyssey during its inaugural season, and that ship really does feel like a more elegant and sophisticated ship. It's also great because we had our 4 year old daughter and she got to ride bumper cars, jump on the trampoline, and enjoy the water park. Then at night we got to enjoy the ship and the spaces we liked. It's a great balance, especially for families.

So, you may want to try that class of ships.

Reactions: shh
If you’re cruising with kids got to do Royal since they have tons of activities on board, Celebrity doesn’t even have a mine golf course. But if you’re adults looking for an upscale experience then Celebrity.

We just got off an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity. We've got 2 kids (8 and 9). This ship was great for adults, but the kids were bored while on the ship. They loved all the excursions though. The ship itself was not geared toward kids.

We just got off an Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity. We've got 2 kids (8 and 9). This ship was great for adults, but the kids were bored while on the ship. They loved all the excursions though. The ship itself was not geared toward kids.
My kids will be 21 and 23 on this trip.

My kids will be 21 and 23 on this trip.
We too are looking at Celebrity cruise after cruising with Royal 2 other times. My kids will be 26, 25, 23 and 21. The boat looks nice but the kids want to know if there is pizza and what the drink package will include. So we are considering it but I am unsure.

We too are looking at Celebrity cruise after cruising with Royal 2 other times. My kids will be 26, 25, 23 and 21. The boat looks nice but the kids want to know if there is pizza and what the drink package will include. So we are considering it but I am unsure.
We ended up booking.

Doing our first side by side.

A 4 day on the Disney Magic followed up by a 6 day on the Celebrity Beyond.

Celebrity pizza is in the Neapolitan style, very good and is served from Lunch until late night.

Drink package is depending on which one you pick or is included in your package.

I am Canadian so all prices are going to be in Canadian dollars (sorry)

The first tier is Zero-Proof: Includes premium and non-premium bottled water, premium coffee and tea (cafe al bacio and il secondo bacio), sparkling water, vitamin water, red bull, bottled iced teas and juices from the spa cafe. 35.66 a night plus tax and gratuity

Second tier is classic beverage package and is 94.04 a night plus tax and gratuity
  • Vodkas: Absolut and flavors, New Amsterdam, Smirnoff, Tito’s
  • Whiskeys: Dewar’s White Label, Famous Grouse, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, Seagram’s VO
  • Rums: Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, Kraken Black Spiced, Malibu, Myer’s, Wray & Nephew
  • Tequilas: Don Julio Blanco, Teremana Blanco
  • Beers: Alaska Brewing beers on Alaska sailings. Coors Light, Corona, Franziskaner, Heineken, Kirin, Kirin Light, Miller Lite, Moretti, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow hard ciders, Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
  • Gins: Beefeater, Gordon’s, Praire Gin
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Campari, Galliano, Hennessy VS, Kahlua, Licor 43, Ouzo, Romana Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
  • A large selection of wines from various regions around the world, including California, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Chile and Australia
The actual inclusions are based on price. I cannot remember exactly but the menus have everything well defined. If you want to go up you can just pay the difference to get a premium drink. So if what is included is 12 and you want 14 dollar drink, you pay the 2 plus gratuity. Just found it, it is all drinks up to 10 dollars.

Third tier is premium beverage package and is 115.18 plus tax and gratuity a night. 17 dollars and under are drinks that are included.

• Gins: Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick’s, Plymouth, Star of Bombay, Tanqueray, Gunpowder
  • Rums: Bacardi 8 Años, Brugal, Flor de Caña, Pyrat XO, Zacapa 23, Bumbu Rum
  • Tequilas: Cazadores Reposado, Patrón Reposado, Patrón Silver, Ghost Tequila, Don Julio Reposado, Teremana Reposado
  • Vodkas: Belvedere, Chopin, Christiania, Cîroc Snap Frost & Flavors, Grey Goose, Ketel One & Botanicals, Pearl, Reyka
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Baileys Irish Cream, Chambord, Cointreau, Courvousier VSOP, Disarronno amaretto, Drambuie, Godiva, Remy Martin VSOP, St-Germain, Disarronno Velvet, Aperol
  • Cocktails: Craft cocktails, large martinis, and long drinks, all made with Premium Beverage Package spirits
  • Champagnes and favorite wines such as Conundrum White and Red Blends , Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon , J&H Selbach Riesling Kabine, Mouton Cadet Bordeaux Blend, and Edmeades Zinfandel
  • Beers: Anchor Steam, Blue Moon, Blue Moon Haze, Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Grolsch, Guinness, Kronenbourg 1664, La Fin du Monde, Lagunitas Ale, Leffe Blonde Rogue, Peroni, Sapporo, Sierra Nevada, Stella Artois, Terrapin Luau, Topo Chico Seltzer
  • Zero Proof: Acqua Panna water, Evian water, San Pellegrino, Premium coffees, Red Bull & Editions, Sodas, Premium teas, Vitamin water, Bottled Iced Teas, Aqua Spa Fresh Juices, Zero Proof Cocktails Frozen & Non-Frozen
  • Whiskeys: Aberfeldy 12, Bulleit Bourbon, Chivas Regal 12, Dewar’s 12, Gentleman Jack, The Glenlivet, Jack Daniel’s Black, Jack Daniel’s Rye, Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel, Johnnie Walker Black, Johnnie Walker Double Black, The Macallan Lumina, The Macallan Quest, Maker’s Mark, Rittenhouse Rye, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve
Premium also gets a 20 percent off bottles of wine.

One big difference between the classic and the others is that the classic gives you only non-premium water.

An other major thing is that if you have the premium package make sure they are using premium alcohol. Most of the time they are just so use to picking up the resort 'trash' alcohol.

Thank you for the information. I have researched the drink packages. We have been successful in getting the packages on black friday for Royal at a decent price but does Celebrity also do those sales. I am looking to book through Costco so they do not offer the all included package. I am glad they have pizza - this was a big concern for my kids. I think they are now familiar with Royal so they are nervous about trying something new. We are very fixed on our dates due to schedules so we can not look for deals outside of the 10 days we have to work with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter