Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has said this is nothing? There's a big difference between reasonable concern and irrational fear.

My mindset is to treat this as the swine flu from 2009 with the expectation that quarantines might disrupt my day to day. I don't expect this virus to significantly impact the US for at least another month. But I'm not going to treat it like the common cold.

It's very strange to be told that something that is clearly happening is a hoax. People don't really know how to react to that kind of thing, I think, because it's just so bizarre and absurd. I know that I, personally, just want valid information so I can make informed decisions. I don't know who benefits from being told it's not real.

Remember 9 out of 10 sites sensationalize to get clicks.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
Just go to the source instead.

I also responded to you early on and you chose to ignore it, but the swine flu was 7-8% before actual real numbers started coming in and that was the US not China. You cant spout numbers but ignore others.
Is the coronavirus something we should ignore? No it's not but dont add to the hysteria and the overblown effect of the US media which always causes panic with everything negative in the world.
I wasn't ignoring you, I just overlooked your response in a sea of responses. Ironically, did you see my statement where I stated this is clearly not bird flu (which was around 8%) nor ebola? I fully acknowledge that, but you're kind of building a false equivalence. I simply stated that COVID-19 is worse than the flu by all current data and the CDC. So yes, there are far worse things out there in the world, but is that relevant when making a statement that simply relates to the flu? If the infection rate was as high as the flu, where 29 million people were infected, a 2% death rate would mean over half a million deaths. So far there are 16,000 deaths from the flu by comparison. If we can save lives by treating this seriously, why would we not?

I'm still headed down to WDW in a few days, but this certainly is something that will loom over the experience a bit since my kids are young and are incapable of keeping their hands out of their mouths, in addition to two of us having underlying conditions that put us in at risk categories. Hope everyone stays healthy out there! Not here to fight with people, just trying to point out that this virus isn't something to ignore and striving to contain will hopefully help save many families unnecessary heart ache.

We have a trip planned for March 19th --- I was already on the fence about going due to my husband's kidney stones and upcoming procedure. I did call Disney about 2 weeks ago when his kidney stones first showed up - they were understanding and made specific notes. So if I need to cancel, it won't be tied to coronavirus....but, I really don't know what I'm going to do.

I live in CA (in fact, I live in one of the counties where one of the two community-spread patients live) and feel like this area is more susceptible to the virus than FL.

Ugh!

Last edited:
....and none of those said it’s nothing.... just nothing more than the seriousness of the flu. The flu still kills everyday. Yet it has gotten lost in the fuss of something that, in the big picture. Is sound and fury.... signifying. Nothing.

If this is no worse than the flu, why would Italy be cutting off all uneccessary travel?
Imho. They are swept up in all the fuss that the WHO puts out. They pick and choose what to get scared of. This the have picked on. On the other hand. The flu.... which is just as easy to get. And will infect more and kill more.... is forgotten about. Follow the money. In the end. It’s always about the money...

We can all go back and forth.... but 6 months from now. Any one of us will be far more likely to get the common flu. Just as simple as that. Numbers don’t lie.

Imho. They are swept up in all the fuss that the WHO puts out. They pick and choose what to get scared of. This the have picked on. On the other hand. The flu.... which is just as easy to get. And will infect more and kill more.... is forgotten about. Follow the money. In the end. It’s always about the money...

Seriously, I think you are very mistaken.

Do you believe S. Korea, Japan, and Saudi Arabia are all also giving in to hype?

Last edited:
And now Oregon has their first "presumptive" case of the virus. Not travel-related.

Ugh! 30 minutes from me. The person worked at an elementary school so probably exposed a lot of children to the virus :(

I think there’s a 2nd presumptive case in our area as well.

Ugh! 30 minutes from me. The person worked at an elementary school so probably exposed a lot of children to the virus :(

I think there’s a 2nd presumptive case in our area as well.

I believe they actually said the 2nd case is a person who qualifies for testing. The first person has had a positive test that is awaiting a confirmation from the CDC. But yeah, 1 and possibly 2 cases of community infection known. :(

Seriously, I think you are very mistaken.

Do you believe S. Korea, Japan, and Saudi Arabia are all also giving in to hype?
Look at total population. Then look at infections..... then... Look at influenza. It’s worse. And kills more. Just saying.
The overall numbers are minuscule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter