Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but these kinds of threads always make me laugh. It’s like it’s THE thread for all who like to throw around stats and other “more important” worries and flex their “unworried” muscles. 🙄

OP, if your husband is that worried, you have a few options. Talk to him and see what options would help his worry. Perhaps just having trip insurance would ease his mind. Or maybe knowing you will be taking any supplies you may need to protect yourselves. And other than that, just take a wait and see approach.

Not worried. The survival rate is something like 98%. Also was reading it is affecting those with more...delicate...respiratory systems. Which, from what I understand, is a big deal in the hardest hit areas because over 50% of the people still smoke.

You won't find a policy that covers "because I changed my mind". If you want to purchase trip insurance, make sure you carefully read the fine print. There are lots of exclusions.

Cancel for any reason is usually CANCEL FOR ANY REASON....good, bad or indifferent. However, it must usually be purchased very quickly after booking, and is expensive. Plus sometimes it will only return 75% or so of your non-refundable expenses. But, it does not require your reason to fit in a certain box. This is a good description. https://www.insubuy.com/cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance/

I've purchased it ONCE because I was afraid of a "job thing" that did not fit neatly into the employment reasons sometimes covered by more typical travel insurance. Never needed it. But, did research it then to make sure it literally covered 'I just can't go' and it did.

Last edited:
A relative of mine who lives on the west coast was traveling on one of the cruise ships and contacted the Coronavirus or at least she tested positive. She has had no real problems from it though and is still quarantined I believe from what I last heard. Even tho others are getting extremely sick from it, she did test positive but really has no symptoms. Don't mean to downplay it either tho, from what I initially heard it is stronger than the flu but I don't know.

Im actually happy to see the stock market take a breather. It cant just keep going straight up. Now's a great excuse for a break. It can breathe a few more weeks as far as Im concerned. Im not retiring anytime soon.
Lucky for you. Not everyone can wait it out.

It's still way higher than it was even a year ago. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now unless you're planning on taking all of your money out in the next couple of weeks.
Oh, we're fine, but I don't have a "it's all about me, I got mine, screw the rest of you" attitude. I have enough self-awareness to know there are millions of people planning to retire in the next few months and today is devastating for them.

Oh, we're fine, but I don't have a "it's all about me, I got mine, screw the rest of you" attitude. I have enough self-awareness to know there are millions of people planning to retire in the next few months and today is devastating for them.

I'm guessing that most nearing retirement are not heavily invested in stocks. The funny thing is I recently moved my entire 401K out of stocks and into bonds and value preservation funds because I figured something else would sink the market with all these tariffs and things and because of that I actually made money today. And I would expect that most near retirees have a portfolio that looks a lot more like mine right now.

there are millions of people planning to retire in the next few months and today is devastating for them.
At the risk of turning this into a financial thread, I agree with the poster who said it needed a breather. This was going to happen based on something, in my opinion (and many others). So many people said it's overvalued (likely) that many major investment firms were ready for "excuse" to take their profits.

I was considering doing that myself (my measly amount that is in comparison) but I'll wait now.

Of course, many of them will buy on the dip and it will stabilize at a point lower than last week but still higher than say a year ago.

I'm guessing that most nearing retirement are not heavily invested in stocks. The funny thing is I recently moved my entire 401K out of stocks and into bonds and value preservation funds because I figured something else would sink the market with all these tariffs and things and because of that I actually made money today. And I would expect that most near retirees have a portfolio that looks a lot more like mine right now.
DH moved about 50% of his 401k into bonds at the beginning of the year for this exact reason. He isn't retiring for another 9-10 years, but we knew the drop was coming. Today isn't the end of it.

Not everyone has gotten good financial advice and I assume some people left their 401k mostly in stock because it was easier.

I had already moved a lot to cash, but lost a lot today, but still up substantially for the year to date. But anyone who did not see this coming was not looking real hard. My daughter works in fashion, the chinese factories are shut down. I am afraid disney will take a big hit

If we go in November - would the hotel prices decrease ?

Not unless there are mass cancellations of reservations, which seems really unlikely. The last time anything like that happened was in the months after 9/11, when people became fearful of traveling by air. Something like this, you can get in your local mall as easily as at WDW.

DH moved about 50% of his 401k into bonds at the beginning of the year for this exact reason. He isn't retiring for another 9-10 years, but we knew the drop was coming. Today isn't the end of it.

Not everyone has gotten good financial advice and I assume some people left their 401k mostly in stock because it was easier.

Don't you think that bonds are more risky than stocks? You know the bond market is bizzaro crazy when the interest rates on Greek government long term bonds are around 1%. That is simply crazy. Bonds are way over valued. The country defaulted a few years ago and now investors are willing to loan to a dead beat at only 1%????

Most people around here go away for spring break. My latest thinking is go enjoy vacation because everyone in town will be traveling all over and someone could bring it right into town from their travels. With so many people traveling to who knows where, we could be exposed without ever leaving here upon their return.

I guess I’m mostly worried about it getting closed if we get some out of control clusters. They’ve kept Tokyo Disney going with controlled outbreaks but shanghai and Hong Kong have been closed a month with no current mentioning a of when they’re opening again. First world problems I know, but I figure people on a Disney board understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter