Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We go to WDW in 26 days and I'm not concerned. It's way too early now to worry about November.

Trip insurance doesn't cover "I bought into mass hysteria and decided to cancel my trip to WDW for no logical reason".

This is partially why I was curious about the change in stance from mid-January to now. Literally nothing in the US has changed in that time frame, as far as we know, so if you have a trip in two weeks, what's the basis?

Aren't there some trip insurances that are for any reason?

There really is a lot of fine print with trip insurance. Cancelling because you are fearful of getting coronavirus is not one. If the US government instituted travel bans or other types of things that prevented you from taking your trip, then maybe.

All that being said. This is not the flu. The flu does not kill healthcare workers who are treating flu victims.

There really is a lot of fine print with trip insurance. Cancelling because you are fearful of getting coronavirus is not one. If the US government instituted travel bans or other types of things that prevented you from taking your trip, then maybe.

All that being said. This is not the flu. The flu does not kill healthcare workers who are treating flu victims.
Healthcare workers aren't gods. They can get the flu like anyone else can.

You won't find a policy that covers "because I changed my mind". If you want to purchase trip insurance, make sure you carefully read the fine print. There are lots of exclusions.

You won't find a policy that covers "because I changed my mind". If you want to purchase trip insurance, make sure you carefully read the fine print. There are lots of exclusions.

There are "cancel for any reason" policies, but they are usually pretty expensive and you have to buy it within a certain number of days of making your initial trip deposit (you can't add it after the fact). I was just looking through the info for the travel insurance that we've used a couple of times and, if you bought the "cancel for any reason" coverage (which costs extra), then I don't see anything that excludes canceling due to fear of an epidemic. In fact, I think "because I changed my mind" would be an acceptable reason too.

Epidemic/fear of epidemic are not covered under the regular plan, but if you had "cancel for any reason" coverage, I think they would be.

Wow. That’s a rare deal.
Warm waters just have more in them. And with that. The east coast and Florida waters is a no go for me. Lol

Jellyfish are definitely common in OC beaches. We have them pop up at some point every summer season. The bigger problem are the stingrays. They cause thousands of stings every summer.

It looks outside of China right now the death rate is 1.5% so its a lot more deadly than the flu. Maybe not as contagious but 1.5% is pretty high and you figure those cases are newer so that rate probabbly gets worse.

After today, I'm more concerned about my 401K.

We thought about trip insurance but unfortunately I think it's already too late (trip is in July). We bought some insurance on our tickets (bough through a site recommended on Touring Plans) but I really don't know what it covers or what we can get (my guess - simply apply to another trip, which we could do anyway).

We'd be out the airfare (not insignificant) I would guess.

It looks outside of China right now the death rate is 1.5% so its a lot more deadly than the flu. Maybe not as contagious but 1.5% is pretty high and you figure those cases are newer so that rate probabbly gets worse.
Impossible to say; there still is likely a LOT of cases not reported; assuming all of them recovered then the death rate is much less.

I read after the last swine flu outbreak, once it was essentially over, they revised the fatality rate to account for non-reported cases (obviously an estimate with a large standard deviation) but the estimated death rate was deemed to be much lower.

I've never used trip insurance.

I only buy it when I'm leaving the country. Getting medical travel back to the states is cost prohibitive so I buy it just for that. Not sure how it would come into play for this unless the parks themselves get closed during your trip.

Not concerned at moment but time will tell. I keep seeing reports that small groups coming back are being moved to smaller military bases throughout the country. If true, that is not comforting. I'd rather everyone do their quarantines in just a couple, highly trained, highly equipped bases. Spreading them throughout the country to smaller less equipped bases doesn't seem like a good option for maintaining containment. If I were a "patient" I'd rather stay at the larger more equipped bases.

Last edited:
Jellyfish are definitely common in OC beaches. We have them pop up at some point every summer season. The bigger problem are the stingrays. They cause thousands of stings every summer.
Yep the stingrays I knew about. Jellyfish I have never seen in the Pacific. Although I usually am there in July or Aug. That may make a difference. I have never been stung by a stingray. But have seen them. Usually juvenile , as I think the grown ones don’t come so close to shore.

I only buy it when I'm leaving the country. Getting medical travel back to the states is cost prohibitive so I buy it just for that. Not sure how it would come into play for this unless the parks themselves get closed during your trip.

Not concerned at moment but time will tell. I keep seeing reports that small groups coming back are being moved to smaller military bases throughout the country. If true, that is not comforting. I'd rather everyone do their quarantines in just a couple, highly trained, highly equipped bases. Spreading them throughout the country to smaller less equipped bases doesn't seem like a good option for maintaining containment. If I were a "patient" I'd rather stay at the larger more equipped bases.

Most travel insurances actually do NOT cover the closure of private locations that were part of your trip, like theme parks. Nor do they cover if a common carrier or tour company cancels an itinerary or transportation (like if the airline cancels flights or a cruise ship cancels an itinerary, travel insurance doesn't pay up, you have to go after the airline/cruiseline). If you bought Disney tickets and Disney closed the parks, they would be responsible for covering those refunds but the travel insurance would not deem that worthy enough as a reason to cancel a whole trip.

I only know this because I just spent an hour reading the fine print on 2 different travel insurance policies. FWIW, they both exclude "fear of an epidemic/pandemic" as a covered reason as well. I have a trip booked to Tokyo Disneyland in May and so far have only booked airfare and have held off on the rest due to the limitations of the travel insurance.

At this point, if you book a trip and DECIDE to cancel due to fear of this virus, NO insurance is going to cover that (except if you purchased CFAR coverage). You would have to hope that the airline will refund your flight (which they seem to be doing in affected regions), the cruise line will refund your trip, etc.

Most travel insurances actually do NOT cover the closure of private locations that were part of your trip, like theme parks. Nor do they cover if a common carrier or tour company cancels an itinerary or transportation (like if the airline cancels flights or a cruise ship cancels an itinerary, travel insurance doesn't pay up, you have to go after the airline/cruiseline). If you bought Disney tickets and Disney closed the parks, they would be responsible for covering those refunds but the travel insurance would not deem that worthy enough as a reason to cancel a whole trip.

I only know this because I just spent an hour reading the fine print on 2 different travel insurance policies. FWIW, they both exclude "fear of an epidemic/pandemic" as a covered reason as well. I have a trip booked to Tokyo Disneyland in May and so far have only booked airfare and have held off on the rest due to the limitations of the travel insurance.

At this point, if you book a trip and DECIDE to cancel due to fear of this virus, NO insurance is going to cover that (except if you purchased CFAR coverage). You would have to hope that the airline will refund your flight (which they seem to be doing in affected regions), the cruise line will refund your trip, etc.

Good info.

Like I said I only buy it for the medical end, that is my biggest concern because there is no where to go for any reimbursement for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter