Anybody from NC?

I live in Four Oaks, NC and if we drive non-stop to Disney, it's 8 1/2 hours. I go I-95 south to I4.

Hey! We live in Burlington which is about middle of the state, triad area.

We have driven at least 4 times, and it has taken us around 10 hrs. Once we made it in 9 1/2 hrs but it was perfect driving conditions, no rain, fog, etc. And this is doing maybe 5-7 over the limit. Believe me, people are still passing us.

We usually stop 3 times, to get fuel, restroom, etc. Our ritual has been to leave around 3am, get a biscuit around 6-7am, stop to fuel, stretch legs, then stop again right before crossing GA, FL border to fuel up one more time.

We take I-85 to Charlotte then I-77 S to I-26 in Columbia SC. I-26 will lead you to I-95 which will lead you to I-4 in Daytona. I-4 will lead to WDW.

Sounds crazy going back towards Charlotte to go to Orlando, but we have driven the I-40, I-95 route once. Thats 45 additional minutes from where we live.

I will be glad to answer any additional ??s if you have any.

We have friends in this area who have driven it at least 30 trips. They told us this route and its not bad at all. We were a little concerned kids wouldnt hold up, but throw some movies in, and they are content.

I will add, leaving that early in the morning, there is method to this madness. By doing this, the traffic or lack of it is a big PLUS! And, you miss business traffic in Jackonville FL and Orlando. This can both be bummers.

One other thing, get an extra day out of WDW by leaving around 5pm or later if it doesnt bother you. We have driven about 3 1/2 hrs back to Kingsland GA, sleep there, then leave the next morn. We have gotten to the point of skipping this if you can share driving with someone. We get home around 3am, leave everything in the car, go to bed, turn the phone off, and get about 6 hrs of sleep.

Sorry for all the extra info. but I know how nervous we were 1st time, but now would rather do this than fly.

We less than an hour from the coast and we were considering driving for our wedding so that we can carry my dress, his tux, favors, and all that other stuff. Does it save you any money driving over flying?

I don't know about flying but we do leave about 3:15 am and drive, we get to our Resort about 12:15-12:30 pm. We check in, get a quick lunch then take a nap, by 5:30 we're ready to go! The Food Network is replaying Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings again on 2/18/06 @ 5:00 pm.

NC State said:
The Food Network is replaying Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings again on 2/18/06 @ 5:00 pm.

I tivoed it a couple of nights ago. I've seen it once but I can't wait to see it again! :Pinkbounc

sajetto said:
I tivoed it a couple of nights ago. I've seen it once but I can't wait to see it again! :Pinkbounc
I still can't get over the $70,000 wedding. My husband asked me how many disney trips would it take to cover $70,000 to their one wedding. :lmao:

NC State said:
I still can't get over the $70,000 wedding. My husband asked me how many disney trips would it take to cover $70,000 to their one wedding. :lmao:

Lord I know! We are spending no where near that kind of money. The last time my DF and I watched it he looked at me and he said "Do you know all the things you could do with that money!" Geez, we could have one huge down payment on a house. I can't imagine spending that even if I had it.

NC State said:
I live in Four Oaks, NC and if we drive non-stop to Disney, it's 8 1/2 hours. I go I-95 south to I4.

That's so good to know. I live in Clayton, not too far from you and we are taking our first trip in June. Driving of course. We want to leave early in the am around 4ish so that means we should arrive around 12:30 - 1pm. Sounds good!!!! Thanks for the info, another Johnston County native :bounce:

I live outside of Charlotte and am driving it with the kids. This will be the first time for us as we just moved here. We have driven it from NY in 2 days, so 8-10 hours seems like a short little excursion ! Hope so anyway, because I am driving without my dh for relief. My friend and her kids will be in another vehicle. Should be an adventure!

We have figured our fuel at around $130 round trip. 1 person, if lucky, and the stars are aligned just right, could fly for that amount :wizard:

my2boys1821 said:
That's so good to know. I live in Clayton, not too far from you and we are taking our first trip in June. Driving of course. We want to leave early in the am around 4ish so that means we should arrive around 12:30 - 1pm. Sounds good!!!! Thanks for the info, another Johnston County native :bounce:

We do usually leave about 3:15 am (too excited to sleep). We will stop about 3 times for only 15-20 mins at the most (one bathroom, one breakfast w/gas fill up, then one more bathroom w/gas stop). We travel with no kids; however, when my daughter was small she would sleep the way down. I keep a journal and record the times and stops, so non-stop it's 8 1/2 hours; however, I don't anyone that could do that!

I noticed that this is your first trip, I'll be happy to help you with any questions. Like I said, I keep a journal and write everthing down to plan my next trips. I love Disney and love to share my tips! :thumbsup2

We live in Raleigh and it takes about 10 hours for us to get there. Coming back last weekend it took us 11 hours but that is because we have a 3 year old with a bladder the size of a pea and we had to make many more stops than usual. Going down there we stopped over night to break it up a bit. For anyone interested, we stayed in Santee, SC at a place called Clarks Inn. It was very reasonable and a nice hotel.

disneymom727 said:
We live in Raleigh and it takes about 10 hours for us to get there. Coming back last weekend it took us 11 hours but that is because we have a 3 year old with a bladder the size of a pea and we had to make many more stops than usual. Going down there we stopped over night to break it up a bit. For anyone interested, we stayed in Santee, SC at a place called Clarks Inn. It was very reasonable and a nice hotel.

Hey, I'm on my way to Raleigh this morning! I'm going to the new mall on Capital Blvd. I hate those trips back home because it's so long....

Hi, I am from Bladen County (White Lake). We just got back from WDW on January 24th. Let's see, it took around 10 hours getting there, but that is because we took lots of restroom stops and we ate breakfast at Cracker Barrel in SC. The drive home only took 8-1/2 hours. We only made like 3/4 restroom breaks. It's actually a really easy drive.

Hi there,

From the southside of Raleigh (back roads to 40 near Clayton), it takes us about 8.5 hours of actual drive time. We typically lose 1-1.5 hours to stops. We tow a camper, so our speeds are slightly less than average on I-95 (but then again, the average speed on I-95 is really up there).

We get around 8 mpg when towing, so our more frequent fuel stops make for well timed rest breaks.

We're heading out 3/24, and if we are organized enough to get our son out of school at lunch time, will drive straight through. If later, we'll stop in Brunswick, GA for the night. Our FW reservations are for the 25th, so even driving straight through lands us at a cheap hotel in Kissimmee for the night.

It is a very easy drive, except for negotiating the ever-changing Jacksonville roads, especially whilst towing a camper.

Moving Target in NC

sajetto said:
We less than an hour from the coast and we were considering driving for our wedding so that we can carry my dress, his tux, favors, and all that other stuff. Does it save you any money driving over flying?

If you go to aaa.com, it will tell you approximately how much you will spend in gas. It takes into account the type and year of vehicle you are driving and average gas prices for each state and if there are any tolls. Pretty neat and it was pretty darn close on our last trip. :sunny:

NC State said:
Hey, I'm on my way to Raleigh this morning! I'm going to the new mall on Capital Blvd. I hate those trips back home because it's so long....

We were just there! It's a yucky day to be going anywhere today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter