Anybody care to comment about Oak Plantation Resort?

compmom

Mouseketeer
We are renting a one bedroom unit with a queen pullout sleeper at Oak Plantation Resort. Full kitchen with dishwasher and a washer and dryer. We don't mind staying off site, but would like some personal opinions about this resort, from people who have or will be staying there.

TIA,

Tina
:pinkbounc

We will be staying there next week. Here is a link to a recent discussion. Mouse planet has a review too. We got a rate of 52.50 with the entertaiment card. I have heard there are two size one bedrooms and that you should request the larger size one bedroom with your reservation. So far communication between us and the resort has gone well. We will be arriving on Saturday.

http://198.65.131.237/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160801

Here is a link to a map of 192 and all the restaurants and stores on it. I found it helpful.

http://www.kissimmee-us192.com/map/default.htm

We stayed there a few years ago. It was part of the Hampton Inn chain at the time so it may have changed since it switched hands. It was okay, but we have stayed at other, bigger villas that we liked better for the same price or less. Some of the things that surprised me were:

The size of the villa. We rented a 1 bdrm and boy it sure seemed small. The bedroom was "just" big enough to hold the bed (which to be fair was a king) and an armoire and the bedside tables. To get to the bathroom you had to go through the bedroom. The whole villa really felt like they had taken a big hotel room and partitioned it off.

The washer/dryer was about the biggest shock. It was a special combination machine that washed and dried all in the same enclosure. The bin was tiny, I mean really tiny, and, no joke, it took all day to wash and dry just one load and still the clothes would be somewhat damp. They do have regular washer and dryers somewhere on the property for your "convenience".

In the brochures they list all the ammenities and they do offer quite a bit, but the quality leaves a little something to be desired. Minimal playground, small, dark, musty video arcade, very small gym.

On the plus side:

What we did like was the pool area. They had 2 regular pools and 1 zero entry pool with self-operated splash features in the middle. They also had some tables with umbellas around the pool and , if I remember right, the kiddie pool was fenced off from the other pools.

Also they were nice enough to let us use the pool after checkout since it was too early for us to catch our flight.

The villa was clean.

Anyway, like I said, all in all it was okay, just that there are so many other places to chose from, I doubt we will be going back to that particular one.

BTW, we did not find the drive to the parks to be a hassel at all. At the time I-92 was under construction so we took Osceola Pkwy, which is a toll road. It cost about a buck or two each way. It was very quick and not at all crowded. Also, there are lots of restaurants and stores in this area.

I have asked for a handicapped accessible unit, so it should not be the smaller of the two(I hope) Our price is 35.00 per night.

Thanks for the links and the info.

Tina

Obviously the poster with the "odd washerndryer arrangement" got 1 of the small 1 bedrooms as opposed to the larger units. The larger units have "regular" size washerndryers. I don't recall the bedroom being nearly small as described by that particular post. We stayed there twice and had the larger 1 bedroom both times.

We stayed there a few years back, when it was the Hampton Vacation Resort. It was during a time when we couldn't get OKW at DVC for a few of the days on our last minute trip. The place was nicer than I expected for the dollar amount we were paying. We had a unit on the 2nd floor, so it had vaulted ceilings and the living room seemed fairly large. We had a unit with a full washer and dryer. I do have to agree that the bedroom was fairly small. It wasn't cramped or with no room to walk, just not a lot of space. Again, the room did have a King Size bed so that was part of it. You did have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom though, and the bathroom was just average size. It also had a decent sized walk in closet. I was a little nervous because the staircase to go to the front door was right next to the bedroom door, litterally, right next to it. Be careful if you are a sleepwalker... ;) ;) It is just something to be aware of if you have small kids, which we did at the time.

The entire complex looks as if it were an Apartment complex at one time. From the way it is set up and how the units look. The only real complaint I had, which really isn't a complaint is the distance from the Disney Resort. At the time we stayed there, 192 was under construction, so the ride to and from the parks could be a long one. This, as I said, hasn't got as much to do with the resort, as it does with the time we where there. I would stay there again if I had to.

We just got back from Oak Plantation last night. We loved it. We had one of the larger one bedroom units. The smaller ones did look really small, but the larger one was fine. The bedroom had a king size bed, a walk in closet, and bathroom. The other room had a pullout couch, dining table for four, another good size closet, and a full kitchen (fridge, freezer, ice maker, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, stove, oven, coffee pot, toaster, and cooking and eating utensils with pots pans and dishes). There was also a full washer and dryer in a small laundry room which was a great place for storage. We were in building 15 just off the kiddie pool. The kiddie pool was awesome for the kids. There are two other pools which are not huge but never seemed really crowded. One was heated very well and the other a little cooler. There is also a large jacuzzi on the pool deck. The ride to MK was about 25 minutes via 536 to 536. We found it a little tricky finding 536 on the way out from MK mostly. The ride did not bother us because we packed sandwhiches, snacks, water, and juice every day which saved us a lot of time waiting on food lines in the parks. It was great to plop down for something to eat whenever we were hungry versus waiting on yet another line for food. The lines at the parks weren't bad at all, but waiting in food lines bugged us for some reason. The units were clean and the grounds were well kept. The staff was very pleasant. No one bothered us about doing a timeshare tour. We basically loved it because for the price (52.50/entertainment rate), we had everything we could have wanted but the resort was small enough not to have to deal with more crowds after being in parks all day. The pools were right outside our door and there is a 7-11 on the corner just up the street. There were lots of restaurants in the area and a grocery store three blocks down. Walmart is close by too but too crowded to deal with. So we used the grocery store instead. The full kitchen saved us a ton of money. We were very happy not to have to go out to eat three meals a day because we were exhausted most days and the kids wanted to swim as much as possible. The one thing we did not want was a huge, sprawling resort and Oak Plantation gave us just that. It was so nice to come back to such a low key, relaxing atmosphere after a day at the parks and not have to get in the car to drive to a pool or drag pool stuff down elevators etc. The kids were in the door and at the pool within five minutes of returning and DH and I were having cocktails poolside in about the same amount of time.

The kids were great through the whole trip, but we found they hardly ate at the parks because they were too busy doing other stuff. They had a few snacks here and there. They mostly ate in the room and ate a lot. It was nice to be able to feed them stuff we knew they would eat. They gobbled down huge breakfasts of cereal, toast, and fruit every morning and we were able to get lots of fruits and fresh veggies in them with all the other meals they ate in the room. We left the parks most days around 2:00 and returned each evening by 5:30 or 6:00. We spent one day using Disney transportation to get around downtown and to visit some resorts just to see what it was like. We much prefer our own car and found getting around took about the same amount of time even from Oak Plantation. Everyone likes to do it their own way, but we were very happy with Oak Plantation and would definitely stay there again. We loved everything about Disney but also loved the break we got when we were at the resort. It was very peacefull and relaxing.

We did have a great time. DH said the resort made the trip for him. I knew he would need to get away from the crowds to have a good time. He made good use of the full kitchen. I made good use of the full washer and dryer in the room. I couldn't believe how many loads I did. It was nice to be able to dry the pool towels we brought with us. The kids loved getting dressed in the walk in closet which had plenty of room for everyone's suitcases. We used the other closet for their swimming tubes and stuff. We really appreciated the short walk from car to room too. It took a a day or two to get our bearings regarding the driving. Once we got that down, DH was really happy with everything. Hop off 192 to 535 to 536 to get to the parks. It avoids a lot of traffic. DH went to walmart and said it was a zoo. The next time we went to the cash and carry a few blocks down in the other direction, and it was much easier and had lots of prepared foods. Hope you have as good as time as we did.

Does anyone know if the Entertainment rate will work with the Entertainment club that is associated with being a member of DC?

I am not sure how that works, but now that you mention it, I don't remember them even asking to see my card. I bought the book for our home town. I was glad I did because we really did not eat out all that much. We will easily get our money back just by using the local coupons. I would call the hotel and ask directly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter