• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any rumors for new DVC properties?

Mark099 said:
Given the choice, my order of preference would be HI, DL, CR and AKL.

I agree. But do you think other DVC members agree with the idea of off-site over on-site? Tough call

It would seem to me that off-site in better places would be a huge benefit over what they have. Doesn't it make sense to build a property in the northeast? That is where many members are and wouldn't it attract more if potential new members knew there was a place in driving distance to go to on long weekends? Viriginia Beach? New Hampshire? Gettysburg? I know nothing about timeshare so you tell me

Well, here's another rumor to add to the list. This past week, my dad was told by a CM at SSR that DVC was planning to build on two of the golf courses (EP and Osprey Ridge?) on site. So take it for what's worth, but I thought I'd pass that "news" on.

As far as the CR goes, they have the mini-suites, and the so-called 800 room tower could easily be regular rooms and mini-suites, and not be DVC at all.

After all, in the long term, Disney would have a much higher ROI by running it as a hotel than if it were DVC.

There may be a DVC at the Contemporary, but I highly doubt it'd be an 800 villa high rise.

Keep in mind that many of the regular Disney CM's don't know much about DVC itself. Many probably think of it as a Club, as in the old Disney Club, and not as a timeshare ownership. If they hear the CR is going to build 'suites', they may automatically think it's part of the Disney Vacation CLUB since they don't know any better.

I think that DVC must hold meetings for resort CM's, and divvy them into groups and tell them different info just to keep us guessing:

(hoarse whisper) "Ok ... you guys over here, pssst ... guess what? We're definitely gonna build DVC at the CR! 4 stories! But don't tell!! (wink wink) "

(in another corner ...) "Got some inside info here... DVC at DL! And then at CR, and it'll be about 20 stories tall!"

(Yet another corner...) "Hey, can you keep a secret? ;) Next project will absolutely be in the Poconos. It'll be just like Dirty Dancing! And the 82 story high rise at the CR is in the works too!"

(To close the meeting ...) "All right folks, get out there and be magical! And REMEMBER... mum's the word ;) ;) ;) "

:rotfl2: The lengths Disney will go to to keep us all entertained!

no one never knows....

I still like the Cont rumor!!!

but AKL would be up there too.

I would love a Polyn but I don't think it will happen.

as far as the Cont I really think it is a wait and see. If the new rooms are a hit and I really think they will be. and Cont finally sells outs (70% or higher) at their room rack rate. then I think the cont will kept the north wing and upgrade it. like they are currently doing the south wing and the tower.

if the Cont has to continue to allow big discounts (some of the rooms at the Cont go for less than standard rooms at WL) - then I think a DVC resort is coming.

However, the new rooms fit the CR image so much better than anything they tried before. So I really think this hotel will finally become the success that WDW has wanted.

if it does - I can't see them losing rooms to DVC. of course I was very much surprised when BCV was built.....I just didn't think WDW would allow DVC on such valued property!!!!

very glad I was WRONG!!! :flower: :sunny:

Hawaii would be my first choice--might even add on points to get to book it at 11 months.
Whatever happened to Northern California---that was in the official planning stages when we joined in 93?

Tony

dbm20th said:
I agree. But do you think other DVC members agree with the idea of off-site over on-site? Tough call
Not I. We bought into DVC for the 'D' --> Disney. I would like to see DVC @ DLR, but Hawaii, etc. don't do it for me.
dbm20th said:
It would seem to me that off-site in better places would be a huge benefit over what they have. Doesn't it make sense to build a property in the northeast? That is where many members are and wouldn't it attract more if potential new members knew there was a place in driving distance to go to on long weekends? Viriginia Beach? New Hampshire? Gettysburg? I know nothing about timeshare so you tell me
I'll defer to those better educated in timeshare philosophies (ahem, Dean) but my take is this: once DVC leaves Disney property, they lose all the exclusiveness of being "on-site" and have to compete with all other timeshare properties. Look at Orlando - if you remove the D part of DVC, there are a lot better timeshare deals to be had.

kpk89 said:
I think that DVC must hold meetings for resort CM's, and divvy them into groups and tell them different info just to keep us guessing
Tinfoil hats - Activate! :rotfl2:

DrTomorrow said:
I'll defer to those better educated in timeshare philosophies (ahem, Dean) but my take is this: once DVC leaves Disney property, they lose all the exclusiveness of being "on-site" and have to compete with all other timeshare properties. Look at Orlando - if you remove the D part of DVC, there are a lot better timeshare deals to be had.

Tinfoil hats - Activate! :rotfl2:

I agree. Disney had a hard time selling out both HHI and Vero. Wasn't HHI suppose to be bigger?

Anyway, the only one I care about is AKL with a SAVANNAH view. If they build it, I will be there in a heartbeat! CR tall, short, studios, 1 BR etc... not going to give them any cash for that.

I wonder if Disney would have had an easier time with HHI if they had attached a hotel to it. Right now it would seem that with the growth of southeastern cities members would tend to fill it up in the summer months when disney actually could make a good income from renting and leave it mostly vacant during the off season. Had there been a hotel component to it they might have been able to leverage the easy beach access.

I'm still holding out for additions in this order:
HI
AKL
DL
EP
No real interest in CR and I hope we DO get a Hawaii resort. They truly do NEED a DL/DVC, and I hope AKL is the next on-site DVC, but I doubt it will ever happen.

doubletrouble_vb said:
I wonder if Disney would have had an easier time with HHI if they had attached a hotel to it. Right now it would seem that with the growth of southeastern cities members would tend to fill it up in the summer months when disney actually could make a good income from renting and leave it mostly vacant during the off season. Had there been a hotel component to it they might have been able to leverage the easy beach access.

Well the "easy beach access" is exactly the reason I don't like this resort. To me easy means I WALK to the beach....

CarolA - that's the problem I have with HHI, too. To me, "beach access" means ON the beach - or pretty darned close. Not a car ride away.

DisFlan

disneykins said:
Whatever happened to Northern California---that was in the official planning stages when we joined in 93?

Tony

this property was sold to the Marriott. there is a very nice Marriott Vacation Club on it these days. My guide told me that Cal law kept DVC out of Cal - sometimes about not allowing leases???? but someone else here say that was not true. I think he/she was from Cal. With DVC now selling in Ca - I would think DVC would need something there. Yes, they have the concierge collection but no DVC resorts.

I agree. Disney had a hard time selling out both HHI and Vero. Wasn't HHI suppose to be bigger?

both HH and VB were to be bigger. they sold off the property at VB. Don't know about the property at HH. (the cm sold me it was at the beach location???)

So can't we all agree that these were bad choices. Vero Beach is too close to WDW and Hilton Head was a bad location. Are there not other places that would be a better sell for DVC?

disneykins said:
Hawaii would be my first choice--might even add on points to get to book it at 11 months.

Tony

That was actually Southern California on the Newport Coast.
From what I've heard from a friend that works for DVC, Contemporary and Hawaii are next in line. This also matches up with what my guide told me a year ago. FWIW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter