• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any rumors for new DVC properties?

dbm20th

Mickey's Uncle
Does anyone have any tidbits about future DVC properties. On or off WDW?

Rumors are just that, rumors. The top three I've heard are Contemporary Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and a DVC resort in California.

Rumors and speculation about new resort can be a fun topic for the DVC Planning Board.
At this point, there have been no official announcements regarding any resort beyond SSR (and that resort still has over a year before it will be completed with construction).

I'll move this over to the Planning Board for more speculation!

Enjoy!

A guide told us that they were told they would have two active resorts to sell - which means SSR + 1 other????

Russct reported in This Thread that a CM stated Eagle Pines would be next.

For those not aware, Eagle Pines was to be the next DVC resort prior to SSR, but the land for SSR became available and so that project was moved ahead of EP.

Of all the rumored locations, EP is the only WDW location that was officially announced by DVC, but then later it was put on the back burner in order to complete SSR.

It makes sense that EP would be next since the plans for that resort had already been developed several years ago.

DH and I just returned from WDW and spent some time at the Contemporary asking about the DVC rumors. Every CM we talked to considered a DVC at the Contemporary a sure thing and had various bits of info. The most detailed info came from a senior CM who DH talked to for quite a while (I won't give the name -- I don't want anyone to get into trouble over this even though it didn't seem to be a secret). That CM said that a DVC resort will happen, it just hasn't been decided when. Current plans are to implode the north wing (and possibly sell tickets for that event), then to construct a 16-story 800-room U-shaped structure with the open end of the "U" facing Bay Lake.

Dang, I was just thinking last nite that I hadn't heard/read anything about the VCR rumor in weeks. Glad to see it still lives!

new resort rumors!! my favorite! :cool1:

I just saw the following on Mouseplanet that could fit the hawaii rumor:
…We're hearing that the next Disney Vacation Club resort may be built away from the Disney theme parks, in the mold of the DVC resorts at Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island. Nobody's giving any hints as to where, though. Also, the next on-property DVC resort is likely to be near a theme park, as the Saratoga Springs Resort is generating a lot of comments that it's too far removed from the action.

There are many possibilities:
Disneyland
Contemporary
Eagle Pines
Hawaii
Animal Kingdom Lodge

I think DL will come first. Then the CR. But that's just my guess.

DE38 said:
Where/What is Eagle Pines?
Eagle Pines golf course is one of two golf courses north of the POR and POFQ resorts. The other is Osprey Ridge. These golf courses used to be part of the Bonnet Creek Golf Club -- but Disney eliminated the Bonnet Creek name when another developer called their developement the Bonnet Creek Resort (located near CBR).

The WDW master plan shows a DVC resort overlooking the fairways of the Eagle Pines golf course, just as OKW overlooks the fairways of the Buena Vista golf course.

Disney Vacation Development (DVD) actually announced that they would build a DVC resort at the Eagle Pines golf coures, but, as others have noted, that plan was sidetracked when the former Disney Institute site became available (which became SSR).

DVD never announced a name for the DVC resort at the Eagle Pines golf course. Here on the boards, it's been called Eagle Pines or EP, but that's really only the site, not the resort name. If DVD dusts off the plans as SSR approaches sell-out, they'll come up with a more appropriate name for the resort inspired by the Florida resort architecture of Addison Mizner.

Look for a new DVC resort off-property (as in WAY off property - i.e. out of state), as well as continuing expansion of SSR.

Our guide told us when we were there in October that they would really like to build at Disneyland, but space is a major challenge. She said there is a small amount of space they are considering (I forget exactly where), but the development most likely won't be that big. She said that she can't imagine that they opened the California sales office without plans for a development out there.

krbq said:
Current plans are to implode the north wing (and possibly sell tickets for that event), then to construct a 16-story 800-room U-shaped structure with the open end of the "U" facing Bay Lake.

An 800 villa Contemporary DVC??? Wow. Isn't that about the capacity of a finished SSR, or a bit more than OKW? And they're spread over large areas.

I wouldn't have thought it would be even half that. An 800 villa, 16 story "U" would have to be pretty big (and heavy). I didn't think they had enough solid land around the north side of CR to do that. And 16 stories could sort of overshadow the CR itself. It would physically resemble a regular highrise-type hotel more than the other DVC resorts.

I wouldn't mind 800 rooms. It would be easier for the rest of us to get ressies. :) But 800 CRVs - wow. I dunno, it sounds a bit hyperbolic to me. I guess we'll wait and see.

DisFlan

My husband and I had out the satallite photos and were looking at AKL. There is no place to add on to that resort - unless you want to make the hallways at BWVs look really short! You could move the parking lot and go forward, but they you wouldn't get the savannah, and I think we'd all be disappointed if there was no savannah.

DisFlan said:
I wouldn't have thought it would be even half that. An 800 villa, 16 story "U" would have to be pretty big (and heavy). I didn't think they had enough solid land around the north side of CR to do that. And 16 stories could sort of overshadow the CR itself.
DisFlan
DH and I had the same reaction, but the CM pointed out that the existing tower is actually the equivalent of about 19 stories because the first four levels are each more than one story high so a new DVC tower wouldn't be as tall as the existing tower. It was also pointed out that with 16 floors there'd be an average of 50 rooms on each floor, which made 800 units sound more reasonable. [DH is guessing that the units will be smaller in square footage to fit more of them in that space.] The CM said that the MK side of the DVC tower would be all "suites", and I got the impression that meant one room suites and not 1- or 2-BR units (but I didn't ask ... sorry!). In looking at the area that comprises the current north wing, its parking lot, and the tennis courts, it does appear to be a lot of land. I don't have any idea how much weight it could support, though. In the early plans for WDW there was to have been another resort on the land north of the Contemporary (called "The Persian", I believe) so maybe the land there really is capable of supporting a large structure. Anyway, I imagine that even if the CM is correct now, all of this is subject to change. I can't visualize how Disney could make a 16-story tower aesthetically appealing. But then, I've always thought the convention center addition detracted from the hotel's appearance, yet it has won architectural awards.

krbq said:
DH is guessing that the units will be smaller in square footage to fit more of them in that space.

I'm not sure how they could be significantly smaller than BCV, BWV et al, and still be considered "villas". I'm assuming CRVs will be fairly high points because of location, and I wouldn't want to use mega points for a smaller "villa-ette" - even though it would be the CR.

I agree with you about the aesthetics, too. It already sounds a bit unappealing. One of the reasons we enjoy DVC is that we don't much enjoy big, high rise hotels. But I'm sure there are a lot of people who would snap it up.

I've always thought the Convention Center addition ruined the CR's lines, too. It totally changed the whole open feeling of that side of the resort and the approach to it. (I feel the same way about the ugly Leave a Legacy grave stones at Epcot.)

As for the "Persian" resort (or Venetian or whatever it was), I think I read that they DIDN'T build it because of ground problems. But that might just be another rumor.

DisFlan

pmcpmc said:

Well...that's just gonna get a big WooHooo! out of us!! :teeth:

*ahem*clearing her throat...

"Oh DVC, the pipes, the pipes are callin'...
from glen to glen..and back to studios again..."

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter