animal kingdom lodge pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okayyyy...
This is leslieh's daughter, and I have many things to say in responce to this thread....

First of all, I worked at AKL, over Thanksgiving and Christmas two of the busiest times of the year at the World, and not once was it filled to capacity. If the pool can handle the amount of people which will fit into the hotel at full capacity, then it can certainly handle a few guests of the paying visitors.
I worked at The Mara, which, if you've been there, you'll know is the snackshop right next to the pool. I had a great view of the pool facilities and not once did it look even slightly crowded in my opinion.

There is no gate or "pool guard" at AKL, and the pools are open to hotel guests and their guests. The rules being discussed are to keep out random pool hoppers and locals who just want a place to swim. You are definitely allowed to have friends visit you at the resort, and these friends can accompany you to any of the facilities. It is rediculous to suggest that someone should pay to go to the water parks just to lounge around a pool with friends. That's why the hotel pools are there.

To the people who disagree with this policy: If a few extra people at the hotel pool is really going to ruin your vacation, I suggest you take a look at your priorities. These people are not cheapskates, they're not cheaters, and they are not out to ruin your vacations. They have every right to use the pool facilities as they see fit, and as long as they are not inviting along an entire family or high school reunion you will still be able to get a chair and you will still be able to fit into the pool. They paid as much money to stay at the resort as you did. It may disturb their experience if you decide to backstroke through the pool, but it's still your right. Disney actively tries to attract visitors from other hotels and resorts to the deluxe resorts, to see the resort itself, to shop in its gift shops, and to eat at its restaurants. Are you going to have the same complaints if you can't get a reservation at Jiko or Boma? Those people may not be staying at AKL, they may not even have friends staying at AKL, they probably don't even want to eat at these fine restaurants, they probably just came to ruin your vacation.

Please lighten up about these things. To the OP, please feel free to take your guests to the hotel pool, with the resort and CM blessings. This really isn't as big of a deal as many of these people are making it seem.

I think the frustration that is seen on these posts is that many people really work hard to save enough money to stay at a deluxe resort. Even with a discount they are still very expensive. They are paying alot of money for the amenties of that resort.

The facilities of these resorts are built to handle the room occupancy number of people. Now many would argue one guest bringing 2 or 3 more people to the pool is not going to overload it or affect the level of enjoyment for the paying guest.

The problem is at what point does it stop. Which guest is allowed to bring 3 more and which guest is not. What if 20 guests bring 3 more, we now have 60 more people at the pool. Certainly when the resort is near full occupany levels that many more "does" make a difference.

I overheard a conversation at one deluxe resort pool where a group of people split the cost of the room at the deluxe resort and the other 10 were staying at a Days Inn down the road. They were coming over everyday to visit the guest and use the amenties. That made a total of 14 people using the pool and amenties for one room.

As more and more people visit a guest to use the pool and more and more come over to the monorail resorts to see the fireworks from that prime location it does begin to diminish the enjoyment of the paying guest.

I do agree thought, that until Disney stops it, the problem will not go away because some do not see anything wrong with it.

Yes Disney wants guests to dine in the restaurants and shop in the shops. That person is paying for that use. However using the pool when you did not personally pay for it, is not the same thing.

I kinda see this as the same thing if I pay for the buffet breakfast at Boma's. I have paid for 3 people and that is all I am entitled to bring to the buffet. For that price I can not ask a few friends over to join me without them paying.

Just my opinion on the situation and no critism of any person.

I agree with ducklite, etc. If every guest brought several guests it would be a madhouse! We do have family in the Orlando area. My MIL and 2 of my SILs live in Winter Park. It is quite a drive but we always go to one of my SIL's house. Like many people in Florida, they have a backyard pool. My 4 kids get to swim with their Florida cousins and not have to worry about crowds. They don't have to "do Disney" with us, they can do it whenever they want to! I would never feel right pool hopping, EXCEPT, we joined DVC recently and pool hopping priviledges was one of the reasons we shelled out all of those bucks. I have never seen a hotel say "bring all the guests you want to our pool!" but I do not travel as much as some of you guys do. Visiting resorts is another story. We went to eat at AKL on our trip last August and enjoyed the lobby, outside areas, etc. We even walked by the pool. The place was gorgeous, we hope to stay there some time!! It truly was the most expensive breakfast we ever ate!!!

Leslieh- all I have to say is AMEN!!! There are so many uptight people on these boards that is is not even funny. In my last 5 trips to WDW resorts, I have probably used the pool twice. If someone wants to bring a guest swimming and as long as it isn't crowded, do it. You are paying "good money" just like all of these other whiners are. Some of these anal retentive posters need to lighten up. I don't drive 1000 miles for a pool nor do I pay $300 a night for one. I can go swimming here at home. I am staying at POLY in June for location and room size not the pool. I doubt very seriously that everyone in the resort would be at the pool at the same time, get real. MOST people go to Disney for 4 major reasons; namely MK, EPCOT, AK, and MGM.

leslieh's daughter- thanks for the cm perspective on this! I was starting to consider calling wdw to ask ;)

An angle that hasn't been brought up yet-

I go to WDW solo about as often as not. Usually, one of my friends who lives nearby will come visit me at my resort, and although I've never gone swimming with them, this made me think-- I'm paying the same price for my room as a family of three (or in deluxe cases, up to five). So, how is there a difference if my friend were to come to the pool with me, as I'm paying the same price wether she is actually staying there or not?

I agree with what seems to be the most common opinion here- it never hurts to ask. If its a particularly busy day, who really wants to be swimming in a crowded pool anyway? And I must say, if a crowded pool is the worst thing that happens on vacation, that's pretty darn good!

For those who don't think that guests should be able to use the pool, do you also think that they shouldn't be allowed to sit on the beaches? Or watch the EWP there? Or relax on the sofas in the WL lobby? I dont mean these questions in a rude way by any means, I just wonder if the pool is the only thing you have a problem with them using.

Thanx Leslieh's daughter.....

Mike - You can certainly thank your parents, as I'll thank mine -
I'll thank mine for teaching me to use my head & my heart. I'll thank mine for teaching me to ask questions & ask permission. I'll thank mine for teaching me that if I ask permission & am granted it, then it is just fine for me to proceed....
I'll thank my parents for teaching me that each day is a glorious opportunity to enjoy life, to look at my half-full glass. I'll also thank my parents for teaching me that I am just a person, no better, no worse than anyone else - That just because I have been lucky, it doesn't mean I am better.........

So why don't you get with the program there pal?

Wow... AKL should have at least 2,360 chairs at the pool (and that's only counting 2 people in a room and not counting the 1 bdr, 2 bdr, vp & presidential suites.

How do they deal when all those people want to go to the pool at the same time.... Hmmmmm.

To the original poster, please make sure you check with the front desk before you have friends come to swim. I don't want to enter the moral debate, but there have been several posters on this and other boards that said Disney seems to be enforcing the "resort guests only" policy on this. It may have been because of the Easter holiday but I myself hate to loose vacation time, this could save you that headache. I myself have seen temporary gates being put up at the BWI and have had I.D.'s checked.

I'm the original poster. I am sure amazed regarding all the answers. This was my first posting and thanks to all. You sure get some interesting view points. It makes you realize how different people think. Now, I wonder what this comment will bring.

Slmski-
First of all, let me say welcome to the DIS boards. I have not been posting on the boards for very long myself, but I have been a reader for quite a while. Most of the people on the boards are very informative and helpful; however, there are some who seem to have proclaimed themselves the Disney Police. They believe they are right and anyone with a differing view is wrong. If you have any questions when you get to WDW, just ask a "REAL" WDW employee. They will give you the answers you need and no matter what some on these boards say, they ARE the final authority. I am sure if it isn't crowded and you want to have guests come swim with you that they will allow it. For the self proclaimed Disney Police, your intolerance is not an attitude that reflects the true spirit of WDW. Everyone go and enjoy yourselves and don't sweat the small stuff. ;) ;) ;)

I have been watching this thread for a while......the discussion is going no where fast......We cannot just keep beating a dead horse and taking pot shots at each other.. It is just not going to happen... so with that I am shutting this thread down... If you have any questions, feel free to email a webmaster, but I will tell you I went to WMAlex before locking this... Everyone have a great Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter