animal kingdom lodge pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

slmski

Earning My Ears
We are going to Animal Kingdom Lodge in May. Are we allowed to have our friends come and visit us at the pool? Some places want a key for each guest to enter the pool and I understand that. Really looking forward to going.

You shouldn't have a problem having guests at the pool - they will however be checking to make sure that your guests are with one of you who are staying at the hotel.;)

You should have no problem having friends swim with you. I would double-check with the front desk and get an official "OK" before they come over, though. It'll make you more comfortable :).

Per the written information given to you when you check in at the AKL, the pool is for RESORT GUESTS ONLY. Not resorts guests and their guests, not theme park guests, not guests of other resorts.

If you'd like to swim with your freinds there are water parks for that purpose.

Anne

Hate these pool debates, but just had to jump in here. I don't think the purpose of the posted rules for "Resort Guests Only" is to prevent paying guests from having a couple of guests swim with them. The purpose is obviously to prevent various pool hoppers, non resort guests, etc. from just "crashing" the resort. I don't think there is any problem with inviting a couple of friends to join you at the pool, and I'm sure the manager of AKL will tell you the same thing. Some people do not want to or cannot afford to spend $28 per person just so they can "swim" with their friends at a water park. That's ridiculous, IMO.

We stayed at AKL in May '02 and had friends (2 adults/2 children) from the area come visit us the day we checked in. They changed in our room and we enjoyed the pool together for a couple hours without problem.

Originally posted by JLS
Some people do not want to or cannot afford to spend $28 per person just so they can "swim" with their friends at a water park.

Sorry to tell you that WDW is NOT a right. If you can't afford it, you can't, and that's just the way it is.

The pools are designed for a certain bathing load determined by the resort capacity, not the resort capacity plus everyone's friends. If you can't afford to go to the water parks there are plenty of other things to do that don't cost anything, and won't cause overcrowded conditions to your fellow guests.

Anne

Sorry Ducklite, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Take this example: If I am staying at the Grand Floridian, and my cousins or friends are staying at the Polynesian, we want to swim together t at the GF pool for an hour or two one afternoon, apparently you are of the opinion that we would all have to pay $28 to go to a water park in order to do that. I disagree.

It doesn't have to do with WDW not being a "right." It has to do with COMMON SENSE application of the rules, as opposed to a "pool police" application of the rules. I guarantee that if the OP speaks to the manager of the AKL and asks if it is officially OK with that resort that the paying OP invite a couple of guests to use the pool with her while she is there, she will be given permission to do so. I doubt very highly if the AKL will tell her "that's what the water parks are there for."

We are staying at AKL at the end of May and my DH invited his parents to come and visit with us one of the days ( they live about 45 minutes from the WOrld). They probally wouldn't swim any way but is it within the legalities to have visitors to the resorts? Would they be allowed entrance if they tell the guard they are visiting someone that is staying there??

Thanks

I hate WDW snobs.....ALL of WDW is a resort. Swim your little heart out, & all of you pool nazis just relax....The point is to have fun, not freak out. Jeez, relax.

Originally posted by DEH3rd
I hate WDW snobs.....ALL of WDW is a resort. Swim your little heart out, & all of you pool nazis just relax....The point is to have fun, not freak out. Jeez, relax.

YOU have obviously never been in a situation where the resort you were paying a LOT of money to stay at had a pool so crowded that you couldn't find a chair...and then you overhear people talking about how they've come from another resort because the pool is nicer at the resort you're staying at.

I wish they'd go to a wristband sitaution and enforce their own flipping written policies. Next time you stay at a WDW resort, READ the information...you'll see that the pool of a resort is only available to the sleeping room guests of that particular resort.

If you think I'm a snob, that's fine with me. If being a snob means I can read and follow rules, then I guess I'm a snob. I work two jobs to be able to afford my WDW trips. I stay at the nicer resorts because I like them. I think it's rude, crass, ignorant, and a host of other adjectives when people think that they have the right to swim where ever they want--particularly when it interferes with my enjoyment of what I'm paying for.

Anne

Ducklite has a point. If a resort's pool is close to capacity, why should guests of guests be allowed to take the place of someone who paid for the privilege of swimming there? However, if the pool is not crowded, I would agree that it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I would agree that this whole problem falls at Disney's feet for promulgating a rule that they do not enforce...ambiguity leads to dissent, and that really sucks:mad: I say to the OP, Ask at the front desk for a clarification of the rules, and post back here what you learn:D

Thanks for all your opinions. I have made up my mind to not invite our friends over who would not swim anyway. Those who think I shouldn't, I agree. Those who think it wouldn't hurt anything, it wouldn't. If we want to visit we can do it somewhere like our balcony. Thanks for your opinions and I appreciate them all.

Since I've been interested in this debate here on the Disboards, I have started to notice signs at other nice hotels I have visited-- recently Ritz Carlton and Park Hyatt-- the sign usually says "This pool is for the exclusive use of guests of the blah blah hotel AND THEIR GUESTS." (emphasis mine.) It's fairly common at other hotels although since Disney is primarily a vacation resort (the other hotels were not) I guess they feel justified not being so... welcoming. But welcoming "guests of guests" is certainly not uncommon at fine hotels.

Originally posted by jaygatz
Ducklite has a point. If a resort's pool is close to capacity, why should guests of guests be allowed to take the place of someone who paid for the privilege of swimming there? However, if the pool is not crowded, I would agree that it shouldn't be a problem

I have to say, I'm with JLS on this one!

If the front desk is saying it's not a problem then why not enjoy with your guests?! An extra few people isn't going to make that dramatic of a difference. As for when the pool is crowded to capacity, Disney CAN and DOES tell people NO , that they cannot have guests or allow pool hoppping priveleges when this is the case.

I do agree that it isn't right to just crash the resort to use their pool - Disney resort guests of other resorts or Day trip visitors - Unless DVC members with pool-hopping priveleges and have called ahead to get the okay as to capacity or visiting a guest of the particular hotel. But lets not forget, the people asking to have a guest swim with them have a paid a pretty penny as well.

I really think everyone goes WAY overboard on this whole topic sometimes:rolleyes:

P.S. -- I know pool hopping for DVC members is not allowed to AKL pool or SAB before someone goes crazy about that -- this is generally speaking on any and all the Disney resort pools.

Last June when we were staying at the Beach Club,my parents and little brother came over to visit,and yes we all went swimming together. As you know to swim in SAB you have to have a wrist band, which the CM happily gave our guests after we asked permission.
I would say that Disney thinks its ok. I really don't think this CM would run the risk of losing his job by going against Disney policy,just to let a few strangers swim for an hour.

This is probably why its best to ask-- guests bringing guests might not be an issue a late September day; an afternoon during Easter week might be another story.

Here's another point of view. I used to do set-up many conferences and while I was not a hotel guest, I had anywhere from 50-100 rooms booked. In most conferences, we always had an afternoon off and enjoyed the hotel pool. I think most hotels realize that offering meeting rooms (as the GF does) you will have people who are not staying in the resort using the hotels facilities. If I had ever been told that I could not use the pool or the gym, or any other facility, I would have looked elsewhere. But getting back to the OP question, I have always asked at the front desk and never had a problem, whether staying at the AS, POFQ or the Poly. Enjoy YOUR vacation.

Originally posted by ducklite
YOU have obviously never been in a situation where the resort you were paying a LOT of money to stay at had a pool so crowded that you couldn't find a chair...and then you overhear people talking about how they've come from another resort because the pool is nicer at the resort you're staying at.

I wish they'd go to a wristband sitaution and enforce their own flipping written policies. Next time you stay at a WDW resort, READ the information...you'll see that the pool of a resort is only available to the sleeping room guests of that particular resort.

If you think I'm a snob, that's fine with me. If being a snob means I can read and follow rules, then I guess I'm a snob. I work two jobs to be able to afford my WDW trips. I stay at the nicer resorts because I like them. I think it's rude, crass, ignorant, and a host of other adjectives when people think that they have the right to swim where ever they want--particularly when it interferes with my enjoyment of what I'm paying for.

Anne

I've seen a few posts where you point this out and I just wanted to make a comment. I don't think that all or most of the people that "pool-hop" do it to try to get away with something.

I had taped a few shows off the travel channel AKL, BC/YC, WL.
I had them all on one tape and one rainy saturday played it for DH and the girls. DH said he wanted to try out the cool pool. His actual comment was " We can go over and try that pool (SAB) one day right?" WHy not it's Disney?" So I explained to him that you could only swim in your resort pool ( were slummin' it at ASMo anr POR;) ). I told him the rates for BC in case he wanted me to change resorts;) (He declined). He was pretty clueless still "they put a fence up? they check for your key?" He is not a stupid man and he is an honest man who has given a cashier back money if given too much change. He just figured it would be okay untill I explained the rules.

I don't think many people pay attention to the literature that is given out when they check in. I think people just don't pay attention in general. I use to waitress I would have a pary of 6 ask the first 5 "how do you want that cooked, what kind of potato, what kind of salad dressing" the 6th person still looked surprised when I asked the same questions. So I think much of it is people having a mistaken notion like my DH, and then not paying attention.

I will say a small portion are out to see if they can sneak in for something better. One time. when I was a waitress I had a family steal the ketchup bottle, salt shaker, pepper shaker, sugar,they stole everything on the table.:eek: So I know some will be dishonest even if their children are around.

Don't worry about us, I set him straight about what pool to go to! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter