Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

Anyone have info on the new viewliner 2 roomettes and train layout. I hear that the roomettes no longer have toilets. Wondering where and how many toilets they have in the sleeper area. Planning to ride one of the silvers next year.

Ok, so I just booked us to take the train home next month! We are in lower level seats.

I hope we actually get to take it this time, last time the railways were shut down just after we checked into the station...due to Hurricane Sandy! Then we had to hit the road and beat Sandy, she hit a half hour after we arrived home!

My kids will be 15, 12 and 7...I know to bring eyemasks, and maybe small blankets. I am also planning to bring a small soft sided cooler with some water bottles and snacks.
Anything else that is a MUST bring?

Ok, so I just booked us to take the train home next month! We are in lower level seats.

I hope we actually get to take it this time, last time the railways were shut down just after we checked into the station...due to Hurricane Sandy! Then we had to hit the road and beat Sandy, she hit a half hour after we arrived home!

My kids will be 15, 12 and 7...I know to bring eyemasks, and maybe small blankets. I am also planning to bring a small soft sided cooler with some water bottles and snacks.
Anything else that is a MUST bring?

Make sure to bring entertainment for everyone--tablets, DVD players, whatever you've got--along with headphones. And if you have noise-canceling headphones, that'd be even better.

Bring a bit more food than you think you'll need because one never knows exactly how long the train will take, since it can get delayed, even without a hurricane.

Have fun! We love taking the train! :)

Anyone have info on the new viewliner 2 roomettes and train layout. I hear that the roomettes no longer have toilets. Wondering where and how many toilets they have in the sleeper area. Planning to ride one of the silvers next year.

Yes, the new roomettes will not have toilets but they still will have the fold down sink. According to the Wikipedia article each car will have two bathrooms and a shower room. I much prefer this arrangement to having the toilet in the room.

Yes, the new roomettes will not have toilets but they still will have the fold down sink. According to the Wikipedia article each car will have two bathrooms and a shower room. I much prefer this arrangement to having the toilet in the room.

Oh my! I LOVED the toilet in the roomette.
So, I was planning on taking a roomette from Newark, NJ to Orlando next September and think it is the Silver Star. Is it correct that they are taking the toilets out of each roomette or making new cars with new roomettes?
I loved the convenience and also loved not "sharing" a toilet for my trip.

Also, how do you know this information? Where did you read it so I can look too.
Thanks so much!

Make sure to bring entertainment for everyone--tablets, DVD players, whatever you've got--along with headphones. And if you have noise-canceling headphones, that'd be even better.

Bring a bit more food than you think you'll need because one never knows exactly how long the train will take, since it can get delayed, even without a hurricane.

Have fun! We love taking the train! :)
Thanks, forgot I have to buy earplugs too. I guess we'll have to plan to stop and get some snacks on our way from the port to the station.
Is there anywhere to get free cups of ice water on the train or should I plan to bring 3 of our own bottles per person onboard?
Is there free wi-fi on the train?

Thanks, forgot I have to buy earplugs too. I guess we'll have to plan to stop and get some snacks on our way from the port to the station.
Is there anywhere to get free cups of ice water on the train or should I plan to bring 3 of our own bottles per person onboard?
Is there free wi-fi on the train?

Not sure about the ice water, but I think there are fountains adjacent to the restrooms. We usually bring our own water. Let's hope someone who knows the answer to this question chimes in here!

Sadly, there isn't WiFi, free or otherwise, on the train. Hard to believe, but true. There may be a couple of station stops where you can pick up WiFi, but I've never had any luck.

Personally, we don't drink the water out of the water dispenser .... Never know when that unit was sanitized... Refilling at different stations does nothing...filled by hose or what...?

Not sure about the ice water, but I think there are fountains adjacent to the restrooms. We usually bring our own water. Let's hope someone who knows the answer to this question chimes in here!

Sadly, there isn't WiFi, free or otherwise, on the train. Hard to believe, but true. There may be a couple of station stops where you can pick up WiFi, but I've never had any luck.
Thanks! I ended up finding this ;)
My older kids will be a bit disgruntled that there is no wi-fi but oh well, they'll probably be doing school works anyway!

http://www.amtrak.com/journey-with-wi-fi-train-station

We took the regular train once and the auto train a number of times. Much prefer the auto train.

We have had adventures almost every trip on the auto train but they add to the memories..... freight train derailment.... change of route due to hurricane.... Someone jumping in front of the train in the middle of the night.

Arrival is always well before resort check-in so any delays going South have little impact on our trip. We love having our own car handy.

We never go to a park on the day of arrival. We take the full monorail route and go to Fort Wilderness for a meal and make it an early night for the next day.

Just remember....bring your own pillow!!

This is our first time taking a train. We'll be going from Pittsburgh to DC on the Capitol Limited. We have a 2 hour layover and then we take the Silver Star to Orlando. What happens if the Capitol Limited is late and we miss the Silver Star? Also, do we get our luggage from the Capitol Limited and check is again for the Silver Star? I'm nervous about missing the train, getting to Disney late, and losing our luggage. Any info/tips/help would be great. We really want to enjoy our trip on the train. We're so excited and then I read a ton of terrible reviews on Amtrak I'm having second thoughts. My husband won't fly and we drove the last time and we don't want to drive again

Once you have a confirmed date for your vacation, is it best to purchase tickets for auto train as early as possible to get the best rate. What is the cancellation process if you need to cancel your reservation? This will be our first trip so thought I would ask.

This is our first time taking a train. We'll be going from Pittsburgh to DC on the Capitol Limited. We have a 2 hour layover and then we take the Silver Star to Orlando. What happens if the Capitol Limited is late and we miss the Silver Star? Also, do we get our luggage from the Capitol Limited and check is again for the Silver Star? I'm nervous about missing the train, getting to Disney late, and losing our luggage. Any info/tips/help would be great. We really want to enjoy our trip on the train. We're so excited and then I read a ton of terrible reviews on Amtrak I'm having second thoughts. My husband won't fly and we drove the last time and we don't want to drive again

We have taken the same route from Alliance, OH to Orlando, and we always take the second train from DC; I think it leaves at 7:30. The train does run late many days, but I've never been more than an hour and a half late into DC....it could be close, but you could always catch the later train if you are too late. Are you riding coach, or do you have a room?

Edited to add..I'm not sure about the luggage; there is no checked baggage at Alliance, so we have to get our own bags and check them for the trip to Florida. There may be checked baggage at Pittsburgh.

If you booked the whole route on one reservation then Amtrak guarantee they will get you to your destination even the first train comes in to late to make the connection. If this happens, and seats are available they may put you on the Silver Meteor which leaves at 7:30. One thing to note about this is if you booked a sleeper there is no guarantee you will get one on the replacement train. Worse case they will pay to put you up in a hotel until a train is available the next day.

You may want to consider in the future booking he later train so there will be less worry of missing the connection. Union Station is just a few blocks from the Capitol building and there are plenty of things to do around there on your lay over if you are taking the later train.

Pittsburgh has checked baggage service so you can check your bags through to Orlando, and they will transfer them for you in Washington.

Thank you! We are in coach. They said if we miss it and the 7:30 pm is full, they could add another car.

we have always found Amtrak to be helpful in the event we are running late-or early! Once we arrived early enough to catch an earlier train and they helped make it happen :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter