Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

Be sure to read thru thread for info on the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and credit card!! Earn free travel!!!

From what I have read the Amtrak Credit Card is not available at this time. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred card which offers 40,000 points if you spend $4000. the first 3 months plus add'l 5000 points if you add a cardholder and they charge one time. The points transfer to Amtrak. Is a roomett 15,000 points one way?

Odd
From what I have read the Amtrak Credit Card is not available at this time. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred card which offers 40,000 points if you spend $4000. the first 3 months plus add'l 5000 points if you add a cardholder and they charge one time. The points transfer to Amtrak. Is a roomett 15,000 points one way?
Very very odd! I am sure it is available- I use it everyday! I will try and send link

We are taking the auto train this summer from Lorton to Sanford. I took the auto train back in 1994 with my family (I was 13 at the time) and we had seats. This time with DH and our 2 DD (8 & 5) we have opted for 2 rooms. We got one roomette and one bedroom (with shower and toilet). I am not a huge fan of flying and we wanted to have our car in Orlando because we are going to the darkside (i.e. Universal) while we are at Disney. I am super excited to take the train. A little nervous about getting motion sickness when I "sleep" but am going to buy some stuff to take before the trip so help this from not happening.
Bonine is the best med for motion sick! I get sick watching a carousel and fine on the train now!

Great report and storytelling! Thanks for posting. I love Amtrak but I am always cautious about recommending it.

Amtrak by train to Florida is best for
1. people who love train travel (like me!)
2. people who just can't fly
3. Larger families in which air travel costs more than the train
4. People who don't want to drive or fly and don't mind taking the time - Amtrack is not fast and delays are common
5. People who can sleep on a semi-reclining chair .. much better than an airline seat but not great

Parrot-I agree! I will never fly and a 26hr drive is not for me! I love to take my time and arrive well rested! We also LOVE seeing the country roll along as well sit back and watch
:drinking:
In two weeks we leave for a SERIOUS train trek...23 days,17 states,6 trains!!! We will head from East coast to West coast and back again! I will FINALLY GO TO DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mickeybar

We took the train from Penn Station once and it simply stopped so many times that we got no rest at all. Much prefer driving to Lorton, Virginia and getting the Auto Train. Always nice to have our own car and not have to worry about weight or space limitations if we were flying. 2016? Leaning towards Auto Train again!!

RustManFAn...we have a thread celebrity here on my lil train thread!
Huge fan of your work :worship: thanks for making us all look so good on our visits!

As for the train-yes it does stop to pick up people on the way-but rarely longer than 5 mins. The autotrain is a great idea BUT a farther drive for us northerners! It is nice to have a car at WDW-we always rent.There is a cost to add a car to the train and renting is often close to the same.
I will say we don't notice most of the stops since we are playing and reading in our room but I guess it might be more obvious in the coach seating.

Happy Trails on the rails everyone!!!!!:thumbsup2

Don't need to tell me about the Auto Train. We have used it many times!! (coming from northern NJ)

Sorry if this has already been covered but I just found this thread. My mom and I are traveling on the Auto Train (VA to FL) in coach seats and I have a question. When going elsewhere, like the dining car, do people just leave their day bags in their seats? I wouldn't leave anything of value in there like cash or phone, but I will have the normal stuff like blanket, phone charger, snacks, etc. Are there locked overhead bins or something? Thanks for any info.

yes-many people leave there bags in the seat or overhead.
No-there are no locked areas. We leave bags but take camera,phones,computers.
HAVE A GREAT RIDE!!

Please forgive me if this has been asked before (and who knows I may have asked it myself :), age is really creeping up on me). Thinking seriously about taking Amtrak to WDW in Sept. We are looking at going from Raleigh, NC to Kissimmee. Are taxi's readily available at the Kissimmee station? How long would it take to go from the station to Animal Kingdom Lodge and typically how much would it cost? On the return ride, how long should we allow to go from AKL to the Kissimmee station? We have taken Amtrak before and even the Silver Star but just never south to Florida. I like the idea of getting on the train, going to sleep (albeit in a coach seat) and waking up in Florida :).

We use kissimmee, there's always been a taxi or three there when we arrive. We use uber a lot though so that's our plan B but there's a station who can help you with a number if you need to call one. We tried orlando once and prefer kissimmee. It's not really closer drive time wise, but you avoid a couple traffic congestion spots to take the late train back.

Use the amtrak site to look up and price the trains, there's only 2 that leave per day. one is near lunch and the other dinner.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before (and who knows I may have asked it myself :), age is really creeping up on me). Thinking seriously about taking Amtrak to WDW in Sept. We are looking at going from Raleigh, NC to Kissimmee. Are taxi's readily available at the Kissimmee station? How long would it take to go from the station to Animal Kingdom Lodge and typically how much would it cost? On the return ride, how long should we allow to go from AKL to the Kissimmee station? We have taken Amtrak before and even the Silver Star but just never south to Florida. I like the idea of getting on the train, going to sleep (albeit in a coach seat) and waking up in Florida :).

I have driven to Cary and done this. Our train arrived 4 hours late but we weren't on a schedule that days. We rented a car in Orlando and drove to the cruise port. We like having a car with us when we are doing more than 1 or 2 park days.

I've always been intrigued by train travel to Orlando. I think my kids would really like it. That being said, what is the cost verses flying. The little research I've done I have found that flying can cost less then train travel.

I've always been intrigued by train travel to Orlando. I think my kids would really like it. That being said, what is the cost verses flying. The little research I've done I have found that flying can cost less then train travel.

Well my wife and myself are thinking about it for our Sept. trip. RT fare for Amtrak from our town (Cary, NC) is $250 total. That is for both of us and is a Senior rate. RT fare for SWA is between $400 and $500 total (depending upon which day you check). Plus we can park free at the Amtrak station. It would cost us an additional $90 to park at the airport. Now you also have to take into account, will need to pay $100 in taxi RT from the Amtrak station but ME is free from the airport. So basically we will be saving around $200 taking Amtrak.

I've had it go both ways depending on when I was booking each. Like anything, you need to check both if it's savings your after.

It may cost more, but personally I see it as part of the vacation and not just transportation. It can be a really fun experience, which is not something people say much about flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter