Amazed and Disappointed

Yeah, my husband has done shift work for fifteen years. It's awful, it's hard on our family, and nobody else gets it. The money really doesn't make up for it.
My Dad did shift work as a cop for 28yrs -- I definitely know what it's about!!

And some would always take the opportunity for extra money. Maybe not your family, but others would.

Regardless -- I'd bet anything that the lateness of shifts is unrelated to Disney's business decision here.

Counterpoint to this as someone who used to attend the EMH until 3am: there was NEXT TO NO ONE in the park 2-3am. Pretty sure that is the market speaking that there isn't demand -- even though WE liked it.

This. I'd say even after 1, people started dropping like flies. At 1:30 am during EMH, my sister and I were the only people in Adventureland. Not. A. Soul. They don't NEED to have the parks open that late. It was super fun and a nice perk when they did but really from a business perspective it's a waste of resources for a very small number of people who would stay until the end of the super late EMH.

As a west coast person, I just looked at Disneyland out of curiosity. Disneyland is open from 8-midnight for the month of July. Maybe because there are only 2 parks there?

As a west coast person, I just looked at Disneyland out of curiosity. Disneyland is open from 8-midnight for the month of July. Maybe because there are only 2 parks there?

And DCA closes early most of the time. That's half the reason I get a park hopper.

But maybe DL is busier in the summer than WDW. It's more of a locals park and it's generally nicer weather. I don't know. I always close the park down there and certainly it seems busier than MK did. I don't think extra evening hours ever happen- isn't it just 7-8 in the morning? It's interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen DCA close later than 10. Wonder why.

It might have something to do with the setting. Anaheim might require Disney to close at or before midnight for noise reasons.

With the spate of recent upcharges, abridged park hours, and novelties such as foregoing mousekeeping, Disney does seem pretty chintzy. Probably not the image they would like to project, but I'm sure it all strategically helps the profitability ahead of the possible coming merger/takeover.

Wow...they really used to stay open that late? The poor staff! I'm actually with Disney and Disney's neighbors on this one. A theme park doesn't need to be open as late as a bar....

A lot of people like the hours out of the sun - I do. Honestly, I think WDW doesn't have enough bars/lounges open late either. :drinking1I'm an up early/stay up late - get out of the sun for hours in the midday park goer. Regardless of this, I think it's that it's less available park time year over year. The lack of night hours I see as one of the major downsides of Universal. If WDW keeps moving that way, it might actually get people to move a few more days to Universal. People are disappointed because its a reduction from years past, honestly, I kept thinking they were just releasing the additional hours later, but imperically, for MK last month - they didn't. Stinks for night owls and stinks as a general reduction of what you could experience in terms of park time year to year.

I go often, so its NBD, but for people that don't go as often, less hours are less hours:(

I remember the good old days when there were two night time parades at the MK. One was around 9pm I believe, then there were the fireworks, and then at 11pm there was the second. We used to watch everything. After that my family used to race to Space Mountain to ride again and again until midnight.
Now there's not even one night time parade let alone two and the park closes at 10pm. Glad we were all able to experience things as they used to be. It fitted our families method of park playing!

Shorter hours means less profit for Disney. Remember that they make more money when the parks are open longer, not only in attendance but in food, beverage, and merchandise sales. If the business could have its way, every day would be a midnight closing. The projected crowds just aren't supporting that right now, but the good news for guests is that the summer won't be as busy.

I'll bet you can get more done on the average shorter day than a crowded longer day, and with less aggravation

And DCA closes early most of the time. That's half the reason I get a park hopper.

But maybe DL is busier in the summer than WDW. It's more of a locals park and it's generally nicer weather. I don't know. I always close the park down there and certainly it seems busier than MK did. I don't think extra evening hours ever happen- isn't it just 7-8 in the morning? It's interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen DCA close later than 10. Wonder why.

It might have something to do with the setting. Anaheim might require Disney to close at or before midnight for noise reasons.

I was at Disneyland two days ago, on a July 4 weekend Saturday. It was pretty dead at 10:00pm. Instant fast passes (less than five minute return times) available for Indiana Jones, Thunder, Splash. Walk on to Pirates, HM, Matterhorn. Only Space Mountain and Peter Pan still had long waits.

Right. I don't really like to rope drop. But my point is that they still give customers plenty of opportunity to be in the parks, and at least they still have extra magic hours. Does Universal ever close later than 10?
Universal seems to always close early. Their calendar shows 10 pm closes for this month, but when we have been in June, the parks closed at 8:00 or 9:00, or even earlier for private events.
I was really hoping for some later closes at MK when we were there in June, but they never changed the calendar. We did enjoy one 11 pm close, but our last night there was a 10 pm close on a Friday night mid June, which surprised me.

I'm honestly crossing my fingers they extend hours at MK in September. Right now it's only until 9, but HEA is also scheduled at 9. If the park closes right after that gives little hope they would have the Once Upon a Time projection show after the fireworks, if at all! It would suck to miss it!

September is one of the slowest months so I wouldnt count on it

We have been going to Disney on a regular basis now for over 10 years and I am totally staggered by the closing times of MK in July. I was certain they would change the hours and close at 12/1.00am or even 2.00am as they have in previous years, but I have never known such a consistent period of 10.00pm closing as is posted for this July. It just does not make sense, all the prices are sky high and they shut MK at 10.00pm in July!! And they compensate us by opening 2 rides at AK instead.

Very disappointed.

Such a classic display of "it's all about me"....rant/whine because the parks aren't open as late as YOU want. The fact that they're open for 14 or 15 hours out of the day isn't enough, we're going to whine because it's not open 18 or 20 hours. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Oh...right...the fact that the park hours of AK have been extended dramatically over the past 18 months doesn't count. Remember...it used to close around 5 or 6pm.

Such a classic display of "it's all about me"....rant/whine because the parks aren't open as late as YOU want. The fact that they're open for 14 or 15 hours out of the day isn't enough, we're going to whine because it's not open 18 or 20 hours. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Oh...right...the fact that the park hours of AK have been extended dramatically over the past 18 months doesn't count. Remember...it used to close around 5 or 6pm.
Not everyone has the luxury of taking 2-3 week vacations multiple times a year to wdw. Remember that when you chastise others for complaining about the hours.

Wow, sorry did not mean to upset the Disney Police. How dare I have an opinion on anything negative about Disney!!

I really miss the late summer hours. I don't think people are being whiny, I just think people really enjoyed those hours. Every family touring style is different.
I know this is not going to happen but with all the role drop people out there, could you imagine if Disney opened Magic Kingdom at 10 or 11 a.m. People would lose their minds and that's okay because getting up early means something to some people.
Our family will adjust, we always do but for us those late night hours were magical. I remember when EMH lasted for 3 hours and the park was open till 3 a.m., my son had the best time. For him it was so cool to hang out with mommy till 3 in the morning, where else in the world could he have that experience in a safe environment.

They are also trimming the other end. More crowded times of year have also had regular 8am openings in the past as well.

Wow, sorry did not mean to upset the Disney Police. How dare I have an opinion on anything negative about Disney!!

Closing early is disappointing even to us 'Rope Droppers' at least it should be. It effects us as well... those night owls will start touring early because of the early closing times which impact us rope droppers late evening touring. Lets see what all those naysayers have to say when Disney starts OPENING the park at 11:00 am vs 8... but wait, don't complain.. (how dare you!) just just hush up and drink the cool aid..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter