Amazed and Disappointed

We just checked out today, spent 7 nights in the world. The good news, crowds were lower than we normally have seen during this time (we go each year). You notice it most at Epcot (we did a 7:30 dinner in World show case, got in line for FEA and ride in about 30 minutes), easy to walk through the park, etc.

Fair warning, it rained ALOT more this trip...kept temps manageable and crowds lower, but TT was often closed, etc.

Magic Kingdom is just nuts with the 10 pm close. It felt as crowded as New Year's Day week did for us this year. hEA is a crowded mess, and although a neat show, IMO you lose the magic with the crowded view areas. Leaving the park is a madness and expect it to take very long to get a bus or monorail out from the time HEA ends until 10:30. We attempted to park hopti AK after HEA (watching it from the train station and leaving right away), Disney even brought in charter buses to help, but it took over an hour before we got to AK.

If you do MK on the evening EMH night do not even attempt to go in before 7:30 and do not plan to watch fireworks, just head back and do attractions like people mover (and yes expect wall to walk people and a 15 minute wait for people mover), but once the fireworks start, you can ride a lot--we ride tons, most with little wait! We closed the park that night, and it was the only time MK was not a madhouse (note we did not attempt rope drop this trip).

We planned to arrive around 8:00 on the express bus one night. Since the express bus drops us off back by Buzz I think, would that help avoid the crowds?
Also you think if we stayed in the park until 11:00 crowds for transportation would slack off

Attendance is certainly down. You feel it every where except MK--and that is only due to the shorter hours.
Seems like they've just gone way too short in MK. As I've mentioned, 2.5hrs less per day in MK during my upcoming trip.

Plus last year, they had ALL of AK open to 11pm, which could siphon potential MK crowds.

So it's like a 1-2 punch hitting MK.

Maybe if AT LEAST they closed at 11pm, things would feel better...

Seems like they've just gone way too short in MK. As I've mentioned, 2.5hrs less per day in MK during my upcoming trip.

Plus last year, they had ALL of AK open to 11pm, which could siphon potential MK crowds.

So it's like a 1-2 punch hitting MK.

Maybe if AT LEAST they closed at 11pm, things would feel better...
Yes, all true. Plus, there was a night of evening EMH's at Hollywood last summer, that is also no longer offering. Now, you did not need the EMH to ride the rides--we even saw TSM as low as 20-30 minutes standby waits near end of evening, but it did impact your ability to see the night shows, and we never got the Pixar show in. There was no ability to park hop and stagger evening park hours, making the park hopper less of a draw. We have AP, so not an issue for us, but if I were looking to save money this trip, I would have mixed the park hopper.

There was no ability to park hop and stagger evening park hours, making the park hopper less of a draw. We have AP, so not an issue for us, but if I were looking to save money this trip, I would have mixed the park hopper.
Really good point! We have APs as well, so I hadn't even thought of that.

The monorail was often down, not long, but it did impact its efficiency. The buses were much cooler and you got seats.

Arrived in WDW yesterday. Hit MK around noon, left around 8:30 to avoid the closing mess. Even leaving at 8:30 it was challenging to get down Main Street.

This morning I received an email survey asking for about our experience in MK yesterday specifically.

I took the opportunity in the one text box asking whether we would have attended a later parade to give my general thoughts on lack of night parade and early close. May be ignored, but couldn't hurt.

Some screen shots from the survey below, in case anyone is curious.

IMG_6271.PNG IMG_6272.PNG IMG_6273.PNG IMG_6274.PNG IMG_6275.PNG IMG_6276.PNG IMG_6277.PNG IMG_6278.PNG IMG_6279.PNG IMG_6280.PNG

We were going to hop to MK after HS to ride a few rides right before closing but if it is a nightmare to get out of MK I'm not sure we want to. I feel like I have wasted money on hoppers because the purpose of them was to hop to a park at night that is open later.

We decided after this trip that if summer park hours stay this way we won't go to MK at night anymore. Love it so much during day but that last night trying to make our way to a 9:05 Peter Pan FP was unbelievable. Just a mass of people on Main Street. We bailed on FP and decided to watch HEA from train station then left, luckily bus to Yacht and Beach was pulling up and we got right on.

Magic kingdom closing at 10pm would seem weird to me but all the other parks around the world close either at 10pm or before then most nights dlp closes at 7pm some nights!

Magic kingdom closing at 10pm would seem weird to me but all the other parks around the world close either at 10pm or before then most nights dlp closes at 7pm some nights!

Disneyland is open nightly until midnight for the first two week of August. I can't find any nights where they've closed before 11 pm this summer. I know that the California parks sometimes get preferential treatment which may explain this.

Disneyland is open nightly until midnight for the first two week of August. I can't find any nights where they've closed before 11 pm this summer. I know that the California parks sometimes get preferential treatment which may explain this.

Maybe, but 9am- 10pm is 13 hours and a long day. Even if every attraction had an hour wait you could achieve a lot.

Sure. This year, though, I can achieve 2.5 hrs worth LESS in MK PER DAY throughout my 11-day Aug trip. That matters to us. Perhaps not to others. And that's fine.
Well if those 2.5 hours are important to you I can see why you are upset. But I always look for the bright side. Last year you had MSEP which most people get a spot for half and hour before so by the time you have waited, watched the parade and walked to the next attraction you have spend an hour to and hour and a half. This year you have that time back to do other things, that means you have lost 1 hour. Now I haven't seen it yet but you are allowed on Main Street early now right? Before official opening?

Now the thing that is bad here is we have lost a night time parade, they are limiting hours and prices are rising

Maybe, but 9am- 10pm is 13 hours and a long day. Even if every attraction had an hour wait you could achieve a lot.
The problem we have with those hours is we go in August and it feels like 100 degrees in the middle of the day. There is no way we can stand the heat in the middle of the day waiting in lines. We take a break and go back for evening when it is cooler. It is going to cut our hours down with the early closing. Also with the 10:00 pm closing it is causing a hoard of people leaving at the same time.

Last year you had MSEP which most people get a spot for half and hour before so by the time you have waited, watched the parade and walked to the next attraction you have spend an hour to and hour and a half. This year you have that time back to do other things, that means you have lost 1 hour.
We never waited for MSEP. So we're not "getting that time back" now.

Now I haven't seen it yet but you are allowed on Main Street early now right? Before official opening?
What good does that do, exactly? I really don't understand. Certainly doesn't give us 2.5hrs to ride attractions....

Now the thing that is bad here is we have lost a night time parade, they are limiting hours and prices are rising
Yes. Just the limiting hours really gets to us. The other two might matter more to others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter