Am I doing this right?

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
Trying to get futures plans in line so I don't miss my booking windows and banking deadline. Tell me if I'm doing this wrong or not...

June UY VGC
2023 pts = 0
2024 pts = 126
2025 pts = 160

Right now, we're about 98% sure we want to go in June 2025. We are going this June and if by some chance we don't have a great time (heat/crowds/etc.) we might want to switch to February 2025 instead.

So next month, should I book February 2025 using our 2024 points on the very slight chance we're miserable in June?
And then after our trip this June...either keep that February booking....or cancel, bank our 2024 points, and in July book for June 2025?

Side note - there is a 0% chance of us going during any other 2024 UY months besides February (and our upcoming June trip.)

Trying to get futures plans in line so I don't miss my booking windows and banking deadline. Tell me if I'm doing this wrong or not...

June UY VGC
2023 pts = 0
2024 pts = 126
2025 pts = 160

Right now, we're about 98% sure we want to go in June 2025. We are going this June and if by some chance we don't have a great time (heat/crowds/etc.) we might want to switch to February 2025 instead.

So next month, should I book February 2025 using our 2024 points on the very slight chance we're miserable in June?
And then after our trip this June...either keep that February booking....or cancel, bank our 2024 points, and in July book for June 2025?

Side note - there is a 0% chance of us going during any other 2024 UY months besides February (and our upcoming June trip.)
Sounds right. Just don’t book Feb 25 with June UY 25 points.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaving those 126 2024 there. I do worry that maybe I shouldn't bank the 2024 points in July (right at the beginning of the use year) though. Is that really bad?

So I just looked, and studios at VGC are pretty much booked through mid-December 2024. So that really only leaves late December, which we'd never travel during, and beyond.

Between Jan/Feb - I'd choose February.
I don't see us going March - May because of the higher points cost.

So in that case, I suppose it might be okay to bank in July and book June 2025, right?

So I just looked, and studios at VGC are pretty much booked through mid-December 2024. So that really only leaves late December, which we'd never travel during, and beyond.

So in that case, I suppose it might be okay to bank in July and book June 2025, right?
Aren’t you trying to use your June 24 UY to book in Feb 2025?

Feb. ‘25 will fall into your 2024 use year, June ‘25 falls into your ‘25 use year, so as long as you don’t borrow any points from your ‘25 use year to make the 2/25 reservation it should work - any borrowed points would expire 5/31/2024 & could not be banked.

Once you bank those ‘24 points into the 2025 use year you won’t be able to use them for a Feb. 2024 booking. & yes, VGC is tough to book.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to do, if you are thinking you might book Feb. ‘25 w/ your ‘24 points and June ‘25 w/ your ‘25 points & if you decide not to go in Feb. & want to then bank those freed up ‘24 points & reallocate them to your June ‘25 trip freeing up the ‘25 points, I’m pretty sure you can do that - @Sandisw would know for sure.

Here's what I'm thinking (sorry, hard to explain.)

March 2024 - I'll go on the DVC site and book a 6 night trip (studio) for February 2025, using our 2024 points.

June 2024 - We'll go on our trip (already booked last year using banked points and some 2024 pts.) If this trip is great...then we do NOT want to go on that February 2025. Instead, we'd want to do June 2025. So in this scenario it would continue like this.....

July 2024 - Go onto the DVC site, cancel February 2025 booking. Bank our 2024 points into 2025. Book a June 2025 trip using those banked points. Since that will be a studio, it will leave almost all of our 2025 points to use for another trip in that 2025 UY...(or we'd bank to use on a 1 bedroom in 2026 UY.)

OTHER SCENARIO....

If our June 2024 trip is terrible (odds of this are likely slim)....we'd keep that February 2025 booking and bank any remaining 2024 points into 2025 for a future trip, likely late 2025 or early 2026.)

Is this making any sense?? I'm just paranoid that I'm getting UYs wrong.

March 2024 - I'll go on the DVC site and book a 6 night trip (studio) for February 2025, using our 2024 points.

June 2024 - We'll go on our trip (already booked last year using banked points and some 2024 pts.) If this trip is great...then we do NOT want to go on that February 2025. Instead, we'd want to do June 2025. So in this scenario it would continue like this.....

July 2024 - Go onto the DVC site, cancel February 2025 booking. Bank our 2024 points into 2025. Book a June 2025 trip using those banked points. Since that will be a studio, it will leave almost all of our 2025 points to use for another trip in that 2025 UY...(or we'd bank to use on a 1 bedroom in 2026 UY.)

OTHER SCENARIO....

If our June 2024 trip is terrible (odds of this are likely slim)....we'd keep that February 2025 booking and bank any remaining 2024 points into 2025 for a future trip, likely late 2025 or early 2026.)

That checks out.

OTHER SCENARIO....

Ok, now I’m following :), & yes, that sounds like a great plan - just don’t borrow any points for that Feb. booking.

Sorry for the miscommunication - we have a bit of a weather event going on where I am (central coast of CA) & I‘m a bit distracted 😂)

You can..but if you have enough points to book without borrowing for the June 25th trip, you could give yourself time and not bank right away?

I used to do that and don’t any longer. I use current points for the trip and then bank only what else I need.

Once I know I don’t need, I bank and modify my trips!

I won't need to borrow at all for June 2025. I'll have 126 points remaining for my 2024 UY and then a full 160 for 2025. I would need to bank my 2024 points for that trip though. And then it's likely our 2025 points will be banked into 2026. I don't want to get stuck in a cycle of banking though so I think we'll go for a 1 bedroom with the excess points...once the refurb is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter