• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airport Security question...

Misskitty3

DIS Veteran
I want to know if the ONLY thing you need to put into the ziploc bag (as you go thru security) , are liquids?

What about a PB sandwich?

Just planning out lunch for our flight and wondering what all needs to fit into that little bag.

I would think a snadwich is fine but not sure, your best bet would be to call the airport/airlines you are flying with. Have a great trip :santa:

We flew a few weeks ago. Any liquid needs to be in the baggie. Nothing else. And of course, make sure the liquids are the 3 (?) oz. or so that they allow. They were taking away soda cans and water bottles right and left. I had a nail polish in my purse that they saw on the scanner that I'd forgotten was in a carry on. They would have taken it away except I was able to produce a plastic baggie to zip it up in. A mom ALWAYS had random things in her purse for emergencies. Who knew zip locks wold be as handy as wet wipes and bandaids.

I have another ? about this. I know that the liquids have to go into the quart sized ziplock bag, can you put something that is not liquid in with the liquids (eyshadow, powder, etc) or do they have to be seperate?

I wouldn't put powder in the baggie. It will just make the screening longer as they go through the baggie, I think. Mascara...that might count as a liquid. One check in for us; they asked if we were carrying liquids. We had none so we went straight to the scanner. Some poor guy was slow on the i nformation uptake and they were taking everything apaert from his bag to get everything out. They were asking for the baggies to be out for inspection and to try to keep the lines moving.

I flew this weekend and you couldn't take 'wet' foods through security. We had our PBJ taken away (well, I guess I should say they made us toss it to get through), but we could keep bagged chips.

Zip lock bag had to be the small (sandwich) size. All 'liquid' items had to be under 3 ounces each. This did include liquid makeup (mascara) and even lip gloss (they checked all the lip sticks to see if they were a solid) and vaseline type lip stuff. You have to remember to take the zip lock bag out of your purse/bag and put the ziplock itself in the tray or your bag will get flagged anyways and you'll end up in security (saw this happen to quite a few people).

Does all this only apply to carry on? what about checked bags? I usally bring my lotions and all that other girly stuff but I usallly put it all in my checked luggage instead of carry on. :confused3

I must be out of touch. I thought the airport security had been relaxed to allow bottled drinks?

What exactly is the purpose of putting stuff in the baggie, is it just so that they can see the stuff at a glance or do they actually then take the stuff out of the baggie and open it and inspect it/test it, it doesn't really make any sense to glance at it but not inspect it.

Albi

The thing they relaxed was allowing liquids purchased after screening to be taken onto the plane.

And when they started, NO liquids were allowed on the plane. Now at least you can put them in your baggy if they meet the guidelines.

The point is that it limits the amount of liquid each person can carry on the plane and gets the liquids out of the suitcase/purse so that the carryon purses/suitcases don't have to be inspected. If you leave a single thing of liquid lip liner or nail polish in your carry on, they'll send you over to have your bags inspected. In the ziploc they can see the small liquids going through the scanner and there is someone either before or after the scan that sees that all the items in the bag are 'approved' liquids. From what I saw this weekend, they are VERY strict about this.

They took away your PBJ?? Wow! I wonder how they came up with the list of foods that were 'wet' vs. 'dry' foods!! :banana:

Misskitty3 said:
I want to know if the ONLY thing you need to put into the ziploc bag (as you go thru security) , are liquids?

What about a PB sandwich?

Just planning out lunch for our flight and wondering what all needs to fit into that little bag.

Call your airline and ask - also check the web site for your airline. What we tell you here may not apply - or may have changed by the time you fly

I heard another girl complaining that they wouldn't let her bring her tuna sandwich through security. I suppose if it comes up on the scanner as 'liquid' then they take it away. The J was probably liquid?

Then I would hate to have been seated within smelling range of the T in the tuna sandwich if it was considered liquid!! :teeth:

I know. When she was complaining about it I was thinking who the heck would take a tuna sandwich on an airplane. Their so...smelly LOL. I wonder if she was there super early and planned to eat it while she waited or something? Either way, she was mad that they took hers away and then she was able to buy another in the terminal (so after security) and she thought it was some conspiracy to make her buy a new one from the airport deli :rolleyes:

My daugher and I both tend to feel a bit "plane sick" when we fly (despite the gravol and sea-bands...they do help though) and cannot imagine what we would feel like if someone near us started to eat a tuna sandwich...yuck! :confused3

Anyone know of problems bring grapes thru security? Not sure if fruit is considered a solid or a liquid?

Here's something to perplex them....a container of cornstartch and water.....sometimes a solid, sometimes a liquid. Isn't that the elementary science fair question?? And it wouldn't small as nauseating as tuna!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter